GSXS 1000 Forum banner
541 - 560 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I absolutely love the bike. Own it since thursday and will bring it to 1st service tomorrow. For now I cant tell about the cons as I am just excited and surprised by the bike. The power is really nice, QS is smooth, agility is great! Well, perhaps there is just a small con: its not that easy to mount the panniers, but I think I've just to get used to it.
Changed the slipon to Akrapovic which is great. I don't like the Dunlop tyres, will try the S22 next and move on to Continental Road Attack as soon as they're available.
for sport touring, I use Mitas touring Force tires, they are absolutely great.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
I have pilot road 6's in my garage waiting til next year to install. figure might as well put a few thousand miles on oem before tossing them
but im looking forward to them. however, I can't say I experience anything negative about the Dunlops, but I only got caught in rain once. overall handles decent enough in dry weather.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
What the ****. Sometimes I send a package or envelope to city and takes a week to get there

i ordered this from Alberta Canada last night. It’s already down the road at the facility, it barely missed delivery cutoff for today, it’s waiting for Monday.
Alberta Canada to Dayton Ohio in less than 12 hours, it went through like 4 airports receiving and shipping

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update from a newbee that has been following the topics and threads. I just thought I would give everyone, at least for the US models an update based on everyone's suggestions and how they worked out:

Did 600 mile service at the dealer, upgraded to semi synthetic oil (no difference), dealer forgot to reset the service reminder, scheduled it 1 week later. Ugh.... They tightened the chain and lubed it, maybe checked the bolt, but I don't think they came loose in that short of period of time.
Throttle response was a bit uneven, figured break-in issues, or just the double catalytic converter system messing with me.
At 1000 miles, I got a flat rear tire. big hole, super cheap tire. Needed replacing. Only dealer around had a Michelin Sport 5 GT tire in stock (on a Saturday). I took the wheel in, and had it installed. I liked it a lot. Figured, with the GT+ bags which weigh 11 lbs each empty, I was looking at close to a 600 lb motorcycle with gas 5x6 and 22 lbs, and 25 lbs of crap on a trip. Good decision. I like the tire. Good feel, way better construction that the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires that are thin as paper. Later that week, I got the matching front tire. Had to have it balanced twice (their machine was off by a 1/2 ounce). Did it no charge. At the same time, I had the front brake pads pulled. The US stock pads are brembo 4's but they are split into 3 sections and have very little feel and mediocre braking power. Swapped them for EBC FA447HH pads. Night and day difference. Quarter pull vs. almost to the throttle, not overly grabby.
Windscreen: Rode a couple days with stock, no buffeting but a little noisy in the helmet. Bought a Touring version from Suzuki. Road with it for 10 minutes, put it back in box and sent back. Horrible. Buffeting and all the wind hit my midsection. Stock was far better for me. 6' tall, long arms. Tucks in nicely.
Seat: Stock seat good for 1 hour of agressive riding. Bad for a touring bike. Ordered "styled seat from Suzuki. Far better, can ride all day. Harder and flatter. May get something better later, but cheap enough to be worth the difference for now.
Oil. Switched to Motul 7100W at 1200 miles. better accelleration, less vibration over 6000 rpms, full synthetic. Also, used K&N fllter.You don't have to remove lower faring to install filter. rachet fits between the middle headpipes.
Power Commander 6: Added at 1100 miles, sits under passenger seat and plugs into service port. Big difference in smooth power delivery at lower to midrange rpms. Not a big performance increase, just ridability. MUST be installed by a factory Dynojet tuning center. Don't try it yourself. New unit does not allow individuals to mess with the settings enough to make an improvement. Torque is so lenear, that it doesn't seem to matter what gear your in, it just goes however fast you want to accelerate. Tuning center does not recommend changing mid pipe. Midpipe has cables that adjust flow to maintain torque at low and midrange rpms. This is not a track bike. Keep it fun and functional. Vibration at high rpms are too high for touring anyways. Perfect the way it is (almost anyways).
Got my T+ bags late like everyone else. No locks were provided. Not happy, as they are on backorder. Really? Looking for a temporary fix with a second key. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Gas mileage is decent for 150-160 mile stops for gas. Seating position and handlebars are just slightly aggressive, which is good for sport touring. Just make sure your rides include some nice twisty roads and are not your Harley or Gold Wing trips. If that is what you want, get one of those bikes (or a car).
Chain stretches the first 900 miles, but after that, pretty safe. Torque both wheels to 74 ft./lbs. and don't trust the dealer (get a good torque wrench and do it right (and check the engine to frame and swing arm bolts. Battery access is super easy for adding heated gear, garmins, or whatever your fancy. 1 both on the driver seat. I hope this helps. All the best! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
I asked if he can leave b mode and c mode alone, b mode as a good daily:economical mode. I get 45mpg using b mode

if he could flash a mode as the balls to wall sport mode. Then that sounds ideal to me.
1 play mode and 2 stock modes. Truth be told I like b mode but if I’m going to flash it, I’d like one true power mode along with restrictions removed

541 - 560 of 636 Posts