GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50 or 55 profile rear tyre?
55 raises ride height 9.5mm (reducing head angle by 0.3 degrees) & increases gearing by 3%.
What else does it affect?

Done 15k miles now, started with 50 profile stock, then tried Roadtec 01's at 55 profile and now need to replace the Road 5's also at 55 profile. Now I know the bike I wonder if it is worth trying the OEM size.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
50 or 55 profile rear tyre?
55 raises ride height 9.5mm (reducing head angle by 0.3 degrees) & increases gearing by 3%.
What else does it affect?

Done 15k miles now, started with 50 profile stock, then tried Roadtec 01's at 55 profile and now need to replace the Road 5's also at 55 profile. Now I know the bike I wonder if it is worth trying the OEM size.
Theoretically it helps turn in as 55s generally are a pointier type

However this is all theoretical as manufacturers actually pay scant regard to the sized printed on the side of the tyre.

If you look up the tyre spec sheets you will see they may be very little difference between the height of a 50 an 55 from some companies, just as the width can be completely difference between different manufacturers.

So you really need to compare spec sheets rather than just quoted sizes

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dekker, this will be my 4th pair of tyres on the GSXS, all except the OE have impressed me, tempted to revert to the 50 series again just for a sanity check.

Reactions: dekker

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went from stock to road 5s front and back with the 55 profile. I'm not really sure how much it is with it just being a better tire, as I didn't really like the OEM, but I feel like it is a bit more crisp with turn in, and a lot more confidence inspiring.

I'm not sure I'll even bother going back to a 50 to find out, I've been very happy with the 55 so far, so personally I'll just stick with what's close to it, spec sheet wise and go from there.

I am curious though, if someone has ran the same tire 50 and 55 and felt a difference? I can't see it being much, as I think the general quality of the tire makes the most difference. (Screw the OEMs lol)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well I can attest to the R5 50 being a lot quicker than stock, but I haven't tried the 55 so I can't compare the difference for R5 50 to 55. Maybe I'll try 55 next tire swap, but hopefully that won't be for a while. ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Most Road/Sport tyres are built as a compromise of 50 and 55 Profile tyres, it may be say a Michelin 50 profile offers near similar profile to a Pirelli 55 Profile. Each profile is manufacturer dependant and the numbers 50 or 55 are only a base line point and not an exact figure which is rigidly adhered to. The more sport orientated the tyre the more it is designed to turn corners and offer quick turn in or change in direction, the more touring biased tyres are built to offer stability rather than quick turn in.

In conclusion it's not necessarily what profile you have but whose tyre and what it's built for.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what I said earlier but netter put and more comphrehensive.

More and more large tyres are coming in 60 profile for the road now too, what used to be used to.be the preserve of track slick is now available in various tyres from Pirelli if.not others

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pretty much what I said earlier but netter put and more comphrehensive.

More and more large tyres are coming in 60 profile for the road now too, what used to be used to.be the preserve of track slick is now available in various tyres from Pirelli if.not others
Sorry Paul, yes it is, I hadn't read the full thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had Pirelli Rosso III, 190/55 profile rear which i thought, always tipped and quick to turn with gluey grip.
I personal feel the OEM 50 rear gave more stability but ... slow
I have now changed to Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V3 Hypersport Rear Tire - 200/60ZR17.
I don't ride in the wet and still keep the front OEM

·
Registered
584 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF>
50 Profiles are usually fitted to offer more stability and a greater contact patch in a more upright position.
55 Profiles are usually fitted to offer better turn in and a greater contact patch at greater lean angles.
<SNIPPED STUFF>
I think this summarizes pretty well and explains why I'm not thrilled with the 50 series profile; it fights me (ever so slightly) at turn in, then it makes the bike want to ride wide at corner exit when on throttle. And mid-corner, it isn't giving me a ton of feedback on what the bike is doing. A lot of that is just the lack of grip of the D214, but some of it is 'profile-related'.

I think a lot of this nuance in feel and preference is based on what you are used to. I'm coming off sportbikes that ran 180/55 tires and I'm apparently used to that profile. It's what feels "right" to me. When this OEM D214 in 50 profile is toast, I'll be going with the 55 profile. I'm fortunate to live in an area loaded with curves and hills and I like that greater contact patch at lean and I like the slightly easier 'turn-in' where the bike isn't fighting my initial inputs.

So, some of you might like the 'feel' of the 50 profile better, and those of us coming off pure sportbikes are probably more likely to favor the 55 profile. The thing is, if you are curious, it's not like a HUGE difference if you try the other profile and don't love it. It will be okay feeling until you wear it out and then you can switch back if you want. Or maybe you'll get used to the change and want to stick with that configuration.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
50 needed a lot of counter steering to hold the bike down and follow a line, wanted to stand up....55 stayed down with no effort and held its line........im a highway guy so one would think the 50 would be best choice...like the 55 think its a better ride and if you like less air pressure for a softer ride ,seems to help more....anyway just took me one look seeing a 50 and 55 side by side.....dont like low profile tires

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just placed my order for a 190/50 Pirelli Angel GT so will let you know if I can tell the difference good or bad after covering a few miles.

Really enjoyed the Metzeller Roadtec 01s and removed the elephants. They let me know when they were past their best, becoming a bit squirrelly and following road imperfections.

The Road 5s I believe are better for my riding style although I have not been able to remove all of the edge marker lines, The front has worn worse than the rear, losing shape and all tread on the shoulders. I rarely travel on straight roads.

I tried lowering links on my bike once and dropped the forks 13mm, removed the links back to stock but kept the dropped Yokes. Happy how it steers and handles, just the rear shock to replace.

Reactions: Kiwi Geoff

·
Registered
65 Posts
It increases the gearing because the height of the tyre is increased, thus giving a larger circumference.

It will reduce your acceleration slightly, potentiall increase your top speed
The speedo reading comes from the ABS sensors, mainly fromnthe front wheel, so not affected
Hello, Paul, thank you for the answer.

I'm not worried about loss of acceleration, this bike has heaps of it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I recently renewed my tyres to Avon Storm and the shop fitted a 55 in place of a 50 and I didnt even notice till a few days later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts