GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three Words: FAR EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS!!!

I spend 6 hours and 350 miles on the new kid today. It is truly amazing from its comfort, its solid feel/build quality, its super nimble handling and its power. I am beyond impressed with the motor. The sound is excellent and the few times I did venture north of 10000rpm I was very surprised at how insanely strong the motor is. I am not picking on my Speed Triple but there is no way to compare those two motors. Compared to my BMW S1000XR is seems very close. Maybe after full break in it is possible the two will be too close to tell. The GSX-S is about 50 lbs lighter. But that does not matter to me!! I got the bike to have a comfortable naked that was capable of fun things and I have succeeded quite nicely!!!

The seat to pegs distance is a wee bit cramped for me but when I get a Corbin seat that will help some (I expect to gain about an inch with the seat change).

I need more quality time and will share my thoughts accordingly!!!

Here are some more pics of the El Diablo in its natural environment:
IMG_7136 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7138 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7139 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7142 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7144 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7145 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2013 speed triple R. Which one did you have/had? My speed handles very well with the ohlins and light wheels. How do you feel the S1000 stacks up? Is the speed roomier?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2013 speed triple R. Which one did you have/had? My speed handles very well with the ohlins and light wheels. How do you feel the S1000 stacks up? Is the speed roomier?
My 2011 Speed Base Model was an excellent bike. I just wore it out I think!!!

I have not have the GSX-S in the mountain twisties yet so I cannot say for sure I know it will handle better. But the GSX-S does ride smoother on the road and feels to have easier handling in the limited turns I have been thru. The engine on the the GSX-S is far more powerful the the 1050 Triple. They are equal in room but I think the GSX is a little more upright -- even with my bar risers on my former Triple.

For now, I am really digging the GSX-S and it is pushing all of the right buttons with me. If you asked me 2 years ago right after I got back from a trip to Deals Gap on my Speed Triple, I would say that it was the best bike ever for me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Might be a hard comparison as I have the ohlins and the lighter wheels than the base. I had an older base model as well as my R handles significantly better. I'm sure the engine is more powerful though.
The upright aspect bothers me. I don't have bar risers and I think my Speed sits me too upright as it is. Maybe the elevation from the Corbin seat will help with that? The trend does seem to be going high and wide with bars. Exactly what I don't want.

Guess I'll stick with the speed for now until I get more information on this bike. I definitely like it (the faired version), but don't know if I'll be giving up too much (comfort, handling) if I made the trade. The speed is also much less to insure as well. That and the new speed 3 coming out looks interesting. More money but there will be '16 leftovers a year from now. There always is :)

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some updated pictures that show a few changes I have made this week from its stock form.

I had the 600 mile service performed this morning ( I usually do it myself but had some other stuff I did not want to deal with).
Bike is up to 750 miles and the honeymoon is still happening.

Tidy Tail, Youshi Exhaust, Pazzo Levers, Heated Grips, Clear Turn Signal lens, etc...

As pointed out in other posts/forums the slip-on exhaust activity for this bike will not get you a screaming loud monster. The Cat is so massive that it chokes most of the good sounds. Nevertheless, the Yoshi exhaust at idle is a deeper tone and when I run the engine up to redline thru the gears it sounds better than the OEM muffler. Heated grips seem to be working fine but due to the throttle tube being a larger diameter the just off closed snatchyness is more pronounced. Ugh!!!!!!!! I need some more time with the bike to adjust slack and get used it it because I get frustrated. It is still an amazing package!!! I will shut up now and post some pictures....

IMG_0607 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

IMG_0608 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0608 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0611 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0615 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0604 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0603 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

And the Rocket Shot
IMG_7237 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice pictures and info. I'm not spending money for a muffler. I am waiting for some full exhaust systems to hit the market. I want to get rid of that horrible cat.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,597 Posts
RE 1st photo in post #7 . It looks like the heated grip wire is lying over the cut-out switch - yikes.
Please tell me it aint so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE 1st photo in post #7 . It looks like the heated grip wire is lying over the cut-out switch - yikes.
Please tell me it aint so.
The friggen wire lead rotates with the throttle tube so it has to be on the back side of the mirror stalk or it would snag. I only use the kill switch about .0001% of the time so that part does not bug me. It is the overall frumpy look to the system. I will give it some time so I can adequately check it out functionally and maybe I will eventually grow to ignore its ugliness!

·
Registered
378 Posts
The friggen wire lead rotates with the throttle tube so it has to be on the back side of the mirror stalk or it would snag.
Dude, cable should be routed to the underside of the throttle tube and then use super glue to secure the grip to the throttle tube so it doesn't move or rotate, the cable will then only rotate over a small range as per normal throttle use on the underside. I would be very cautious of where you have that cable routed. Just a bit of advice from a fellow biker. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude, cable should be routed to the underside of the throttle tube and then use super glue to secure the grip to the throttle tube so it doesn't move or rotate, the cable will then only rotate over a small range as per normal throttle use on the underside. I would be very cautious of where you have that cable routed. Just a bit of advice from a fellow biker. ;)
Do you have the OEM heated grips on your bike by chance? If yes, please take a picture and share it.

I had the dealer installed the grips so I will bring this routing issue up with them.
It is either a big phuck-up on their part or the throttle tube is keyed to that orientation and cannot be rotated 180 degree's with how the throttle cables come in. I simply do not know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
500 mile report

Love the pics and great ride report...because of you I am taking a day off work here in Arizona and gonna do a 300 mile road trip!! Glad u Loving the GSX-S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts