GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Been running 55 for last 5k miles. Tips in great and vast improvement over rubbish tyres supplied from new. Theiretically overgeard by about 3 percent but you wouldn't notice. Feels the same as the 180 55 tyres fitted to my other 2 bikes and requires less of a fight to get bike to go iinto corners.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Been running 55 for last 5k miles. Tips in great and vast improvement over rubbish tyres supplied from new. Theiretically overgeard by about 3 percent but you wouldn't notice. Feels the same as the 180 55 tyres fitted to my other 2 bikes and requires less of a fight to get bike to go iinto corners.
Would the 55 tyre interfere with the ABS / Traction Control working correctly ...?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know as I don't know if the traction control is intelligent enough to adapt to new tyre circumference? Speaking to tyre manufacturers there appears to be a significant variation in tyre sizes from batch to batch even among tyres of the same size and manufacturer. The standard tyres supplied with the bike are not generally available as replacements and in the interest of safety it is to be hoped that Suzuki anticipated the use of different tyres on this bike and the continued proper functioning of the traction control!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Check the manual. It gives explicit instructions about tyre sizes. Since the system is reading wheel speed for both wheels, increasing the size of the rear will alter the perceived speed ratio between the two and effect traction control.

At least, that's what it looks like to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts