GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I cant wait to switch to a 55 when the stock tires wear out...likely going to metzeler m7rr, best tires I have found so far, considering we don't get much rain here in California anymore.
I have actually run 180/55 on a few of my liter bikes down from the 190, and the flickability is dramatically improved. I've been considering it, but since my friend's shop owes me a pair of tires I'm gunna go with the more expensive 190/55;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm not sure why they spun the 50 profile on these bikes. that profile is for the most part obsolete now that the 55 profile is around. As an aside, i tried to find a tire review of the d214 tire and could not find one anywhere. it's rare you see anyone with a 50 anymore. maybe if you are commuting and don't do alot of sporty riding. i had someone mount a 50 on my old bike by accident and i could feel the difference in terms of lean angle and getting to lean. the 55 has better grip on the sides because there is a bigger contact patch with the steeper profile, i'm no expert but that seems to make sense to me.

i'll be putting 55s on the bike, either dunlop q3 or a pirelli diablo rosso corsa.

not that the existing tires are not serviceable, been to the canyons a few times here on southern california and had plenty of fun!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aprilia Tuono came shod with 50 profile.
We swapped to 55 profile soon as tire was worn.
l will be doin the same on the Suzy before the summer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hm, I've yet to contemplate this. But, from what I gather, the 55 allows for greater lean angle.
If I were shredding the very edges of my 50, and fear of running low on rubber coverage, I'd switch to a 55. But, on the street I still have about 1/2 inch chicken strips on my rear. So a greater lean angle wouldn't benefit me much, except to create an even larger chicken strip. Am I think that right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 55 will also improve the handling with quicker turn in.
But you're right if you are not using most of the contact patch on the 50, the 55 may not do much for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
actually i'd say the 55 will get you closer to the edge of the tire as the profile change means you have a larger contact patch at lean. that would lead to more confidence and better grip. to get the 50 to the edge i think you'd be dragging pegs, but to get to the edge of a 55 i don't think you'd neeed as much lean angle as again the contact patch is wider at lean with a 55.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This should clarify

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
taller tire means you'll have a bigger contact patch at lean, meaning you'll use more tire at a given lean angle, therefore you'll use more tire with less lean angle than the 50. that was my point. it takes more lean angle to get to the edge of the tire on a 50.

You will be able to lean the bike over further not less on the 55's, it's a taller tyre.

·
Registered
415 Posts
More rubber, faster transition, slight rear height increase, what's not to love?

·
Registered
20 Posts
More rubber, faster transition, slight rear height increase, what's not to love?
Yes, thats what i agree too.
i have 4000KM on my D214, thinking to switch to pirelli but it is not easy to find a 190/50. So i am thinking to go for a 190/55.
Just wondering would this change affect the TC

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
think about it. more triangular tire, more space on the sides versus a half moon profile like the 50 where the side is more of an arc and less of an angle. google it i'm sure you'll see i'm right.....and why the 50 is an almost obsolete tire now that the 55 is more commercially available. racers use it, you almost never see it at a track day anymore, etc. literally just google "50 vs 55 tire profile."

How the heck does a taller aspect ratio give more contact patch for turns?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just an observation! I had no trouble reaching the edge of the tyre with a 190/50 but find I still have a chicken strip in reserve with the 190/55. The other knock on effect is that I now find that the front and back tyres now have about the same amount of virgin tyre left to scrub wheras before the front tyre appeared not to leen as far as the rear tyre. That is there was still some unused rubber on the front where I had run out of lean on the rear?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts