GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I replaced my spark plugs and air filter the bike had about , 27 thousand miles on it. yeah I was definitely time to replace them

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
You are bad people. 😉. If nothing else, changing oil and filter, spark plugs and air filter will keep your bike running for pretty much ever. Thanks for showing that you can neglect these items and the gsxs just keeps plugging along. That’s Suzuki reliability.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are bad people. . If nothing else, changing oil and filter, spark plugs and air filter will keep your bike running for pretty much ever. Thanks for showing that you can neglect these items and the gsxs just keeps plugging along. That’s Suzuki reliability.
I replace my oil and oil filter religiously every 5k... I just kept putting off the plugs and air filter because it's a pain in the a$$ to pull fairings and tank.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definitely looks like you were past due for a service! Your bike will be thanking you next time you hit that start button. Might notice it runs smoother and has a little more power and responsiveness now, too. Sometimes you don't notice those things slowly decreasing over time as it happens gradually as mileage increases. Then after a long overdue service you pick up on the difference in performance. Your fuel economy may even make a bit of a jump if you care about such things.

I noticed you change your oil every 5k. With the higher mileage, I'm assuming you're doing a lot of commuting on your bike and not just hard street/fun miles? If so, it makes sense that you're running your oil change intervals out to every 5k. If you don't mind me asking, what oil and filter do you run? Assuming you don't have any leaks, do you notice any loss of oil/drop in oil level between changes? It's interesting having guys with decently high miles on their bikes to ask questions like these. I find it fascinating to learn how these engines hold up over time and hope I have the same experience with mine.

I've had my 2020 GSX-S1000 for about two months now and it just ticked over 1500 miles today. I've already done two oil changes, so it's on it's third fill up. Did the first oil change at 250 miles and the second one at 750 miles. The oil from the first had a visible amount of metallic content from engine break-in, and the oil from the second one still shimmered a bit, but very little in comparison. I don't do much commuting on it, mostly just fun street miles. I figure I'll run this oil from 750 miles to 2500, and then change it every 2500 miles from then on. Might be overkill, but it certainly won't hurt changing it more often. I've read about some guys not recommending full synthetic oil early on, something to do with clutch wear or shifting issues, but I've been using Mobil 1 Racing 4T in 10w-40 with a Wix 51359 oil filter since that first 250 mile oil change without issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I replace my oil and oil filter religiously every 5k... I just kept putting off the plugs and air filter because it's a pain in the a$$ to pull fairings and tank.

I agree removing the panels on this bike is a pain. But every time I feel like raising my blood pressure, cursing a little, no, a lot, I just go into the garage and take those suckers off. 😉

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think it's easy to remove the fairings on the naked model, but I've heard the F is a major pain.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think it's easy to remove the fairings on the naked model, but I've heard the F is a major pain.
Once you do it a few times it's fast and easy. Off and back on in 20 min.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just did same - filter and plugs - at 12k kms😅

ps no need to replace full fairing, just top covers and loose few screws to tilt up the tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definitely looks like you were past due for a service! Your bike will be thanking you next time you hit that start button. Might notice it runs smoother and has a little more power and responsiveness now, too. Sometimes you don't notice those things slowly decreasing over time as it happens gradually as mileage increases. Then after a long overdue service you pick up on the difference in performance. Your fuel economy may even make a bit of a jump if you care about such things.

I noticed you change your oil every 5k. With the higher mileage, I'm assuming you're doing a lot of commuting on your bike and not just hard street/fun miles? If so, it makes sense that you're running your oil change intervals out to every 5k. If you don't mind me asking, what oil and filter do you run? Assuming you don't have any leaks, do you notice any loss of oil/drop in oil level between changes? It's interesting having guys with decently high miles on their bikes to ask questions like these. I find it fascinating to learn how these engines hold up over time and hope I have the same experience with mine.

I've had my 2020 GSX-S1000 for about two months now and it just ticked over 1500 miles today. I've already done two oil changes, so it's on it's third fill up. Did the first oil change at 250 miles and the second one at 750 miles. The oil from the first had a visible amount of metallic content from engine break-in, and the oil from the second one still shimmered a bit, but very little in comparison. I don't do much commuting on it, mostly just fun street miles. I figure I'll run this oil from 750 miles to 2500, and then change it every 2500 miles from then on. Might be overkill, but it certainly won't hurt changing it more often. I've read about some guys not recommending full synthetic oil early on, something to do with clutch wear or shifting issues, but I've been using Mobil 1 Racing 4T in 10w-40 with a Wix 51359 oil filter since that first 250 mile oil change without issue.
man, you just seen 2 post who validated extremely high durability and bulletproof reliability of the gsxs motors. and you care about chaing oil at 750miles?!?! 😂

Service says 1st oil change at 1.800km (1200miles or something)

Metal dust mostly from clutch, do not worry, oil filter does not allow it to go into engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
man, you just seen 2 post who validated extremely high durability and bulletproof reliability of the gsxs motors. and you care about chaing oil at 750miles?!?! 😂

Service says 1st oil change at 1.800km (1200miles or something)

Metal dust mostly from clutch, do not worry, oil filter does not allow it to go into engine.
@4ce

My US owners manual called for the first service to be completed at 600 miles, not 1200 miles. And yes, I changed the oil before that. The metal was in the oil that I drained from the oil pan and it was being circulated through the engine. The oil filter obviously did not catch it or it wouldn't have remained in the oil when I drained it. And clutch wear produces a black dust like material, not metal shavings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@4ce

My US owners manual called for the first service to be completed at 600 miles, not 1200 miles. And yes, I changed the oil before that. The metal was in the oil that I drained from the oil pan and it was being circulated through the engine. The oil filter obviously did not catch it or it wouldn't have remained in the oil when I drained it. And clutch wear produces a black dust like material, not metal shavings.
So... good you did oil replacement!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how often do you replace oil? ;)
As mentioned I change my oil / oil filter every 5k. I keep a log book with all the maintenance dates a service was completed along with receipts for everything bike related.

With 58k miles ridden - To date I've replaced drive train (sprockets and chain) 3 times,

3 sets of brake pads,

6 sets of tires

2 sets Sparkplugs ( don't judge me )

2 air filters (ditto ;)

Valves checked twice by Suzuki ,no adjustmet required.

3 full coolant system flushes (I live in Cali don't really need to do this)

And that's about it

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
@4ce

Not necessarily true. Unless the particles get lodged in the filter, they would flow back to the oil pan, even though effectively blocked from entering the engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not necessarily true. Unless the particles get lodged in the filter, they would flow back to the oil pan, even though effectively blocked from entering the engine.
I understand what you're saying, and it's possible. Here's my line of thinking. Unless the metallic content is small enough to pass through the filter media, the filter pleats should be capturing and retaining any particles that are suspended within the oil as it's forced through the filter. That said, it seems unlikely that all of the visible metallic content contained within the first oil drain was simply what had drained back from the filter and into the oil pan, as it was a substantial amount. There's a reason Suzuki wants that oil removed and replaced after only 600 miles. It's for this same reason that I decided to do it even sooner and get that break in oil out of there by changing it at the 250 mile mark.

One thing I found unusual was that there was very little in the way of debris captured by the magnetic drain plug. I don't think the magnet on the plug is powerful enough to pull much from the oil, on top of the fact that some of the material wearing away during the initial break in may not even be ferrous. I used an extendable magnet to fish through and locate the drain plug from the oil after draining it and even the magnetic tool tip (which is much more powerful than the drain plug magnet) didn't attract any amount of debris worth mentioning from within the used oil.

I wanted to cut the original oil filter open and inspect the contents, but Suzuki installed the filter so tight that I wasn't able to remove it with the filter end cap socket. I ended up using oil filter pliers to break it loose. The filter pliers worked perfectly, but also damaged the filter body by partially crushing it, so I ended up just tossing it without cutting it open.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I remember that first oil change being a bugger. I almost gave up on mine and ended up ripping the original filter apart in the process of removal. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts