GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to run a dashcam (and potentially for other uses), I'm going to add a USB port (Motorcycle Waterproof USB Power Supply Port Socket Charger FOR GPS KIT AU EB | eBay).

When I've run heated grips and other bits on previous bikes, I've always installed a relay so the device(s) get powered directly from the battery, but the circuit is switched from the ignition feed (headlight, tail light, etc.). This is, of course, the correct way to do the job.

In this case, given that the 12V draw will be less than 500ma an I'm incredibly lazy, I was thinking that I'd simply wire the USB socket across the tail light, unless someone knows the location of a better ignition-switched circuit with surplus current-carrying capacity on an F model?

·
Registered
863 Posts
In this case, given that the 12V draw will be less than 500ma an I'm incredibly lazy, I was thinking that I'd simply wire the USB socket across the tail light, unless someone knows the location of a better ignition-switched circuit with surplus current-carrying capacity on an F model?
Hey Rod, I wanted a power port to run my GPS, so I got one like this from eBay and you can see in the picture where I mounted it. I just took a 1 1/8" spade bit and it cut a perfect hole. I ran a fused line directly to the battery.

These types of plugs also come with dual USB ports, the picture is one on my V-Strom.

I don't think it looks bad at all. Now, if I add anything else such as heated grips, I'll set up a small fuse block.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put a usb on my 750, straight from the battery, being lazy, 3 weeks later the battery was dead with not a glimmer of light!

On the gsx I did it properly, off the back light, much better job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts