GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello, new here.

One of the biggest questions I had before my purchase was “am I going to be comfortable” (and will I look like I’m riding a Grom). This is me on my bike, and with the exception of the bandit 1200 I rode previously, this is probably the most ergo friendly bike I’ve been on, with one issue I ran into was my foot angle, my feet actually fell asleep on a 40 mile hwy ride.

So I was thinking about foot controls that are further back and more of a drag bar to place my upper body a bit more forward as well, to keep my hip angle comfortable and my back straight. First I’m going to change the angle of my shifter and rear brake to see how much that helps.

Human specs: 6’2”, 34” inseam, 230lbs, and yes I’m wearing a riding jacket under that hoody.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Your position looks good. You are more upright because of your height and probably need to bend you legs more than some. I'm 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam and on a long ride I start feeling a little pretzeled and like to take my feet off the pegs and stretch out every now and then (I rest my legs on my the Shogun engine guards I every now and then). I'd definitely tweak the foot controls to see if you can get more comfortable in that way. After that I'd look into adjustable rear-sets to see if you can get more room. Good Luck. (y)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ankle and hip flexibility and strength will also aid mobility greatly. I've taught people how to squat and in many cases a client couldn't descend more than a couple of inches without compromising position due to tight ankles, not implying you're in that boat. Physical conditioning can go a long way toward being comfortable on a bike and will aid all other aspects of life.
Rearsets work too ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ankle and hip flexibility and strength will also aid mobility greatly. I've taught people how to squat and in many cases a client couldn't descend more than a couple of inches without compromising position due to tight ankles, not implying you're in that boat. Physical conditioning can go a long way toward being comfortable on a bike and will aid all other aspects of life.
Rearsets work too ;)
Thanks!! I actually lift and work out very often. I struggle with ankle mobility in my clean and jerk and snatches actually, really have trouble getting A2G on my squats too, if you have any recommendations I’d be much obliged!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks!! I actually lift and work out very often. I struggle with ankle mobility in my clean and jerk and snatches actually, really have trouble getting A2G on my squats too, if you have any recommendations I’d be much obliged!
It's something that can be addressed but requires very regular (daily in my experience) attention. Because of the time required most strength athletes neglect it because it's not fun or it doesn't help stroke the ego. This is why many large bodybuilders and power lifters are so dysfunctional. There are plenty of good resources but I'd check out Dr Aaron Horschig of squat university on YouTube. I also visit an anatomy trains structural integration therapist which has done more for me than chiro/physio/ massage combined.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’m the same height as you, and I understand your problem. A very simple way to fix your problem, is to do what I did with my k5 Gsxr1000. Find a machinist to make you a set of lowering plates (I bought mine from eBay) to fit your mounting points. The foot peg assembly is mounted on the plates, and you can either have them or yourself drill holes in the plates to suit your feet position.

The plates I bought were drilled for an inch back and an inch high. I reversed them which Made them an inch lower and back, plus I drilled holes to reduce that to three quarters of an inch lower and back.

Not a great photo of my old bikes left side but you get the idea. If I find a better photo of the foot pegs I’ll message it to you.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can lower the pegs on a Busa by buying Buel foot pegs so maybe they might work on the gsxs.
From memory I don’t think they were that expensive either.
It made me feel a bit sad looking at your gsxr it reminded me of my old 06. Same colour and stomp grip on the tank just like your bike .

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can lower the pegs on a Busa by buying Buel foot pegs so maybe they might work on the gsxs.
From memory I don’t think they were that expensive either.
It made me feel a bit sad looking at your gsxr it reminded me of my old 06. Same colour and stomp grip on the tank just like your bike .
I was sorry to sell it. If I’d ridden it the day before he picked it up, I know I wouldn’t have sold it. I sold it to a friend who appreciates what it is, and looks after it as well as I did. Apart from the fact he keeps texting me with photos telling me how pleased he is with the bike and keeps giving me sellers remorse, I’m happy he got it. 😀

·
Registered
706 Posts
bandit 1200 I rode previously
Interesting ther are a couple on here that got a GSXS after a Bandit, which is my previous bike as well.
I am 6'2" about 245 and have not has your experience. Sorry I can not offer any help on the pegs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
6'2"here as well. I have no issues you speak of. I would suggest lowering your foot controls (shifter and brake) they seem to put your foot at a very awkward angle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts