GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Suzuki GSX-S1000F, '17 BMW R1200RT, '18 Honda Africa Twin AS DCT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I joined this forum in April 2017 but this is my first post. Back then, I was researching a 2016 F model that was listed on Craigslist. I made an offer but the deal fell through due to title issues. I ended up buying a new, leftover 2015 Honda VFR800 instead.

Fast forward almost 4 years and I'm finally the proud owner of a 2016 "F". I bought it on Dec. 31st with only 1,700 miles on it. I've put on 2300 miles since then (I live in AZ). I wasn't in love with the bike at first, but having made a few changes, I love it now.

The first change was to install a K-Tech shock (installed without removing the exhaust, thanks to info found on this site). Next, I went to an 18/42 sprocket config to make long-distance freeway riding more relaxing. Finally, I added much heavier bar end weights (also found on this site) to quell the remaining buzz at highway speeds. An important suggestion here...do not use the bolts and expanders that came with the weights, use the OEM expanding system (much longer, two expanders, and better bite on the inside of the bars). You'll need two 120mm cap screws, I found them on Amazon.

My next upgrade will be tires. The dealership installed the cheapest tires they could find and they don't get good reviews (Continental Conti-Motion). The dealer gave me a bogus answer as to why the bike needed new tires at 1,700 miles. But, I believe the odometer is/was accurate.

I've owned a lot of Suzuki's over the years, and if they keep building them as well as my new gsxs, I'll keep buying them. For fun, I added a shot of me taken in 1979 on my GS1000S.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The dealer gave me a bogus answer
Care to name them?

Welcome along. Thanks for posting your changes to date.
How is the on/off throttle?
Just curious, why did you decide to move on from the VFR?

most of us on this forum are old.
But some of us refuse to act like it. Especially with my granddaughter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Care to name them?

Welcome along. Thanks for posting your changes to date.
How is the on/off throttle?
Just curious, why did you decide to move on from the VFR?

But some of us refuse to act like it. Especially with my granddaughter.
I'd rather not name the dealer. Overall, they were Ok.

I wish the throttle wasn't so touchy, but I've owned bikes that were worse and gotten used to it. My 2013 VFR1200 was worse.

The VFR800 was a great bike but I wanted something sportier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello all, I joined this forum in April 2017 but this is my first post. Back then, I was researching a 2016 F model that was listed on Craigslist. I made an offer but the deal fell through due to title issues. I ended up buying a new, leftover 2015 Honda VFR800 instead.

Fast forward almost 4 years and I'm finally the proud owner of a 2016 "F". I bought it on Dec. 31st with only 1,700 miles on it. I've put on 2300 miles since then (I live in AZ). I wasn't in love with the bike at first, but having made a few changes, I love it now.

The first change was to install a K-Tech shock (installed without removing the exhaust, thanks to info found on this site). Next, I went to an 18/42 sprocket config to make long-distance freeway riding more relaxing. Finally, I added much heavier bar end weights (also found on this site) to quell the remaining buzz at highway speeds. An important suggestion here...do not use the bolts and expanders that came with the weights, use the OEM expanding system (much longer, two expanders, and better bite on the inside of the bars). You'll need two 120mm cap screws, I found them on Amazon.

My next upgrade will be tires. The dealership installed the cheapest tires they could find and they don't get good reviews (Continental Conti-Motion). The dealer gave me a bogus answer as to why the bike needed new tires at 1,700 miles. But, I believe the odometer is/was accurate.

I've owned a lot of Suzuki's over the years, and if they keep building them as well as my new gsxs, I'll keep buying them. For fun, I added a shot of me taken in 1979 on my GS1000S.

View attachment 44965

View attachment 44966
I have always been a Suzuki guy too.....this was a few years ago on my 80 gs1000s when I won Cycle World Magazine's Best of Tour award at The Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Monterey Ca.....rode my bike from British Columbia

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum BlueTraveler you got the colour right, pity you got the Ornithologist version. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have always been a Suzuki guy too.....this was a few years ago on my 80 gs1000s when I won Cycle World Magazine's Best of Tour award at The Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Monterey Ca.....rode my bike from British Columbia

View attachment 44967
Gorgeous bike! Congrats! I swapped mine the next year for a silver '80 GS1100E.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts