GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello all, I joined this forum in April 2017 but this is my first post. Back then, I was researching a 2016 F model that was listed on Craigslist. I made an offer but the deal fell through due to title issues. I ended up buying a new, leftover 2015 Honda VFR800 instead.

Fast forward almost 4 years and I'm finally the proud owner of a 2016 "F". I bought it on Dec. 31st with only 1,700 miles on it. I've put on 2300 miles since then (I live in AZ). I wasn't in love with the bike at first, but having made a few changes, I love it now.

The first change was to install a K-Tech shock (installed without removing the exhaust, thanks to info found on this site). Next, I went to an 18/42 sprocket config to make long-distance freeway riding more relaxing. Finally, I added much heavier bar end weights (also found on this site) to quell the remaining buzz at highway speeds. An important suggestion here...do not use the bolts and expanders that came with the weights, use the OEM expanding system (much longer, two expanders, and better bite on the inside of the bars). You'll need two 120mm cap screws, I found them on Amazon.

My next upgrade will be tires. The dealership installed the cheapest tires they could find and they don't get good reviews (Continental Conti-Motion). The dealer gave me a bogus answer as to why the bike needed new tires at 1,700 miles. But, I believe the odometer is/was accurate.

I've owned a lot of Suzuki's over the years, and if they keep building them as well as my new gsxs, I'll keep buying them. For fun, I added a shot of me taken in 1979 on my GS1000S.

View attachment 44965

View attachment 44966
welcome back :) I also had a GS in the same colour back in the day. I had it for a few years and before i bought it i thought it was the dogs B/';.,ks. How wrong was i. I hated this bike no matter how much i tried to like it lol. It was swiftly moved onto some other mug and i bought a GSX1100ET and my love for big air cooled Suzis was rekindled. i must have had around 3 or 4 GSXs over the next ten years. Im now happy with my current naked fast red. Not had it long but i do love it. Enjoy your new ride mate it looks stunning ;) (y).

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,598 Posts
Forgot to compliment you on your first photo of the gsx-s1000, good framing sharp image and nicely blurred background. (y)

·
Registered
'16 Suzuki GSX-S1000F, '17 BMW R1200RT, '18 Honda Africa Twin AS DCT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
welcome back :) I also had a GS in the same colour back in the day. I had it for a few years and before i bought it i thought it was the dogs B/';.,ks. How wrong was i. I hated this bike no matter how much i tried to like it lol. It was swiftly moved onto some other mug and i bought a GSX1100ET and my love for big air cooled Suzis was rekindled. i must have had around 3 or 4 GSXs over the next ten years. Im now happy with my current naked fast red. Not had it long but i do love it. Enjoy your new ride mate it looks stunning ;) (y).
Thanks Hutchie. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend. It's supposed to be sunny and 80°

·
Registered
'16 Suzuki GSX-S1000F, '17 BMW R1200RT, '18 Honda Africa Twin AS DCT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Welcome 🙏
What bar end weights did you go for?
These are the weights: Suzuki Heavy Weighted Bar Ends
These are the longer cap screws: 6pcs M6 x 120mm Stainless Cap Screw

When I used the hardware that came with the weights, the vibration got worse. Throw it away and buy some longer bolts, but use the rest of the OEM internal handlebar hardware. No one was more surprised than me when vibration all but disappeared!

The only reason I bought six bolts instead of two is that they shipped overnight.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
124 Posts
should have kept the RG but crap happens.
Should have kept lots of things from those days mate.
When I was 21 (1981) I remember taking a used GTHO phase 3 for a test drive. Didn’t have a lot of miles on it and the asking price was $3500! I decided against it and bought a 1968 Valiant for $600. If only.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Should have kept lots of things from those days mate.
When I was 21 (1981) I remember taking a used GTHO phase 3 for a test drive. Didn’t have a lot of miles on it and the asking price was $3500! I decided against it and bought a 1968 Valiant for $600. If only.
Mate the old Val was a beast!
Was that the model with power glide transmission?

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
124 Posts
@My Name Is Jeff
Power glide was with the push buttons on the dash I think. My brother had one of those - that was an earlier model about 64-65. Awesome cars. They were so under represented and absolutely bullet proof. Mine was a 225hp slant six. Would have loved a 318 v8!
This isn’t mine but its the same model.
View attachment 44983

·
Registered
579 Posts
@My Name Is Jeff
Power glide was with the push buttons on the dash I think. My brother had one of those - that was an earlier model about 64-65. Awesome cars. They were so under represented and absolutely bullet proof. Mine was a 225hp slant six. Would have loved a 318 v8!
This isn’t mine but its the same model.
View attachment 44983
Mate the attachment isn’t working?
But like your saying the power glide must be the older model.
I used to work with a dude who had a 60 or 62 model Val S model?
It was lowered with big fats and looked awesome I reckon it was the best looking model Val.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts