GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always nice to have the speedo working. I deleted the ABS module and replaced brake lines with non-ABS braided ones. Only problem is that the speedometer is not working when the ABS module is disconnected. I believe there are two pins that must be jumped but I haven't figured out which ones yet. Anyone know? I think it's the same as the ones in the GSX-R. There was a DIY somewhere about it but haven't been able to trace it back.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Pulling the fuse for the ABS would have been a lot easier than removing the entire unit. The weight savings means nothing unless you are racing for a living. ABS is a pretty awesome invention. I would never remove mine. It allows me to run some stout brake pads without fear of locking up the tires. Worth its weight in Gold IMHO.

If I were you I'd put the ABS back on the bike. You could have improved your brakes dramatically with SBS RS front pads. I have them and trust me, I don't need any more braking power now. The pads alone are a superb, inexpensive and super easy brake upgrade. One to two finger braking for any situation with plenty of control and feel. Four fingers and you will go over the bars haha.

Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
how weird to disconnect ABS . Totally weird . I learned to brake without it but when i am riding a track day and and i feel the ABS kick in i think , ah am at max braking and i don't have to worry about front wheel lock up , snick down a gear tip in and go how sweet it is . If i was Marky Mark or Rossi I would not need or want it but not having reached Alien status yet am loving it.
When in the Perth traffic on a greasy public street and a tin top causes me to suddenly,break hard i do it in the knowledge i won't lock up the front , ah sweet, I love it set up your stuff exactly as you want by all means but , wow you must be one hot rider if you can out brake the ABS on this bike

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah this is true, no one answered his question. I wish I knew the answer. Maybe you can have the dealership look at it? They may be able to figure it out. Only helpful comment I can give other than seek a dealers advice would be the speedo is measure at the front wheel. Maybe you might have accidentally unplugged the sensor when removing ABS?

Reactions: JimSoft

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's funny how the OP ask a question but instead of an answer gets reasons why he is wrong for wanting what he wants
Agreed. I had the same problem when I asked which colour I should paint my seat cowl two told me I should have bought a different one already painted! :eek:

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's funny how the OP ask a question but instead of an answer gets reasons why he is wrong for wanting what he wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You new to bike forums? Its called having an opinion. What's funny about it?

I don't know the answer to his question, and neither does the OP....which is why he shouldn't be removing his ABS module IMO. He can and will ignore my opinion if he doesn't like it. No harm done ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Agreed. I had the same problem when I asked which colour I should paint my seat cowl two told me I should have bought a different one already painted! :eek:
I certainly would have if you had made it clear you already purchased one and which model you purchased.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You new to bike forums? Its called having an opinion. What's funny about it?

I don't know the answer to his question, and neither does the OP....which is why he shouldn't be removing his ABS module IMO. He can and will ignore my opinion if he doesn't like it. No harm done ;)
Your certainly not wrong. Most benefit from abs, and there is little opportunity to "race" this class of motorcycle. However, sometimes it's not what you say, rather it's the way you say it......;)

Reactions: sangedegsx

·
Registered
719 Posts
What does that have to do with anything? It's funny because he asked for information and was giving completely irrelevant answers. Who gives a crap about someone's opinion when it has nothing to do with what the original question was?
he was not looking for a opinion, he was looking for help.

Not sure that knowing where the location of a pin in the ecu has to do with not liking the way ABS affects your bike.....

He maybe using his bike in a performance show and might want to actually lock his break ups on purpose in order to perform tricks..... maybe some not job offered him $10,000 for his ABS unit!

Since his motivations for removing this feature are his own there is no way to give and intelligent criticism or opinion regarding whether or not removing this would be an actual benefit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I certainly would have if you had made it clear you already purchased one and which model you purchased.
I’m going to call BS on that one. I reviewed the thread and I clearly asked for opinions on which colour I should paint it for my bike’s colour scheme, not which one to buy!

The exact part that I’d purchased was irrelevant to the question, except it should be obvious it's unpainted. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’m going to call BS on that one. I reviewed the thread and I clearly asked for opinions on which colour I should paint it for my bike’s colour scheme, not which one to buy!

The exact part that I’d purchased was irrelevant to the question, except it should be obvious it's unpainted. :rolleyes:
Maybe I suck at reading compression, maybe you suck at expressing your thoughts clearly. Either way, I sorry I could not answer your question there Jim Bob. :crying:

Reactions: JimSoft

·
Registered
538 Posts
The only way I would be able to figure it out is to get a full wiring diagram, from a manual of both abs and non abs.
Trace the wires on the non abs and rewire to match, this could be as simple as joining one wire or rewiring 5 or 6 complete wires. It's hard to say without comparing both.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
986 Posts
OK, I'll jump into the fray. First, I'm assuming everyone knows the bike is available from the factory without ABS, for around $500 cheaper, IIRC, so next time.... The two versions also have different part number ECUs, so what I'm about to speculate on, may or may not work. Also, I make no guarantees as to whether or not this is good information or whether or not it will cause damage to the bike, so consider this my "opinion" and user beware. I assume no liability for what may happen with this information or any variant thereof. I'm just a regular guy with a service manual. So much for the legalities.

The sensor wire colors are: Front - Black/Red; Rear - Black/Yellow. The ABS version has the wheel sensors going directly to the ABS unit. Then from the ABS unit there are wires that go to the ECU. These wires (assuming the wiring diagrams in the service manual are consistent) are: Front - Blue/Black; Rear - Blue/White.

So....in theory, jumpering the Black/Red to the Blue/Black, and the Black/Yellow to the Blue/White in the ABS connector you removed, might work. That is assuming the sensor input signal to the ABS unit is identical to the output signal to the ECU.

Reactions: Gixis1k

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only way I would be able to figure it out is to get a full wiring diagram, from a manual of both abs and non abs.
Trace the wires on the non abs and rewire to match, this could be as simple as joining one wire or rewiring 5 or 6 complete wires. It's hard to say without comparing both.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yup, that may be the best option. I'm sure I read an article somewhere but it seems to have been deleted.

Guys, you can keep posting your opinion all you like. More post mean more views and increased google ranking. hopefully someone with knowledge will notice it. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I'll jump into the fray. First, I'm assuming everyone knows the bike is available from the factory without ABS, for around $500 cheaper, IIRC, so next time.... The two versions also have different part number ECUs, so what I'm about to speculate on, may or may not work. Also, I make no guarantees as to whether or not this is good information or whether or not it will cause damage to the bike, so consider this my "opinion" and user beware. I assume no liability for what may happen with this information or any variant thereof. I'm just a regular guy with a service manual. So much for the legalities.

The sensor wire colors are: Front - Black/Red; Rear - Black/Yellow. The ABS version has the wheel sensors going directly to the ABS unit. Then from the ABS unit there are wires that go to the ECU. These wires (assuming the wiring diagrams in the service manual are consistent) are: Front - Blue/Black; Rear - Blue/White.

So....in theory, jumpering the Black/Red to the Blue/Black, and the Black/Yellow to the Blue/White in the ABS connector you removed, might work. That is assuming the sensor input signal to the ABS unit is identical to the output signal to the ECU.
Awesome Gary! I'll sleep on it and let you know tomorrow after I check it out. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
486 Posts
What does that have to do with anything? It's funny because he asked for information and was giving completely irrelevant answers. Who gives a crap about someone's opinion when it has nothing to do with what the original question was?
he was not looking for a opinion, he was looking for help.

Not sure that knowing where the location of a pin in the ecu has to do with not liking the way ABS affects your bike.....

He maybe using his bike in a performance show and might want to actually lock his break ups on purpose in order to perform tricks..... maybe some not job offered him $10,000 for his ABS unit!

Since his motivations for removing this feature are his own there is no way to give and intelligent criticism or opinion regarding whether or not removing this would be an actual benefit.

Who asked for your opinion?

;)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
how weird to disconnect ABS . Totally weird . I learned to brake without it but when i am riding a track day and and i feel the ABS kick in i think , ah am at max braking and i don't have to worry about front wheel lock up , snick down a gear tip in and go how sweet it is . If i was Marky Mark or Rossi I would not need or want it but not having reached Alien status yet am loving it.
When in the Perth traffic on a greasy public street and a tin top causes me to suddenly,break hard i do it in the knowledge i won't lock up the front , ah sweet, I love it set up your stuff exactly as you want by all means but , wow you must be one hot rider if you can out brake the ABS on this bike
ya man ABS kicks in like the weed i smoke.....how about TC 3 that a anti something.....i want to be a bad axx just like you :laugh:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts