GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with my Suzuki GSX S 1000 2019.
After changing both tires, I tried to ride a bike, but this occured:
1)On Slow speeds when breaking, the front brake lever is kind of "jumpy", like ABS is working, but the bike barely brakes.
2)When accelerating TC light constantly flashes and the bike is also "jumpy". If i turn off TC, obviously this is not a problem anymore.
3)On speeds above 20 km/h brake lever stops being jumpy and after above 30 secs of riding ABS signal lights on.
Also while doing a constant speed for example 60 km/h, once every like 5-10 seconds the speed on speedometer drops to 55 km/h for a split second and goes back to 60 km/h
I checked visually both speed sensors, but they seem fine, like there is no damage to them. There are no Error signals on a panel.
Any advice?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mate check the sensor ring maybe it got damaged somehow.
But my first thought like philinggas would be checking the sensors.
Just Wondering If You might Have turned The ignition on when the wheels where off the bike?
Anyhow good luck..

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may be a silly question but have you checked that the front wheel has not been put in the wrong way with the ABS ring on the wrong side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mate check the sensor ring maybe it got damaged somehow.
But my first thought like philinggas would be checking the sensors.
Just Wondering If You might Have turned The ignition on when the wheels where off the bike?
Anyhow good luck..
The ignition wasn't turned on, but what happens if it is, during the wheel off? Cause I'll be checking everything.

It may be a silly question but have you checked that the front wheel has not been put in the wrong way with the ABS ring on the wrong side.
I'd be happy, if it was that simple, but unfortunately the wheel is on correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the wheel was back to front then once over 6mph/10kmh the abs light would flash to indicate an error.
This seems more systematic - I'd be looking at a chafed cable.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,829 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I checked everything I could, probably sensor fault. Unfortunately the wait for sensor is up to 2 months. So guys, how safe is it to ride without ABS and TC. I get all the risks, but can it cause possible breakdowns, or random wheel lock, or something like that? Cause I cant wait 2 months without driving the bike.
P.S. I did turn off the TC, but not ABS, after about 30 seconds ride ABS bulb just lights on and from there on there is no issue with breaking, though abs is probably not functioning.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,829 Posts
Sensor looks good I assume they are both like that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sensor looks good I assume they are both like that?
Yep, this is front sensor and there are some small scratch marks. The rear sensor is perfect though, didnt even make any photos. Sensor wires also seem to not have any damage. The gap between sensor and sensor wheel both front and rear is about 0.5 mm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The fact that your speedo is also malfunctioning points to the front sensor being damaged. If the unit has got distorted then internally it may be ruined.
Are there other suzuki sensors on ebay in the US you can buy? These bikes share a lot of common parts with other suzuki models - must be possible to cross reference using something like bikebandit. There must be a cheap, used part available right now (maybe for a v-strom or gsxr?)
You can ride it without ABS/TC - here in the UK you would probably avoid doing so as it could contribute negligence if you caused a death on the road as a result. America seems less troubled by these sorts of things.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,829 Posts
sensor gap looks OK.
Front = 0.38 - 1.05mm. Rear = 0.42 - 1.08mm.
Standard practice is to remove them when taking wheels out - just saying. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your speedometer isn't working something is off with the front wheel speed sensor. Order a new or good used replacement and in the meantime, turn traction control off and pull the ABS fuse. Doing this will not hurt anything, but it will keep your ABS light on. It will also cut all power to the ABS module/pump, which will prevent unnecessary actuation until you get your new front sensor installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, thanks for your help, means a lot. Currently I ordered used speed sensor from eBay (much cheaper and much lesser wait time). I am driving without TC and ABS now, just being extra cautious. After my sensor arrives I will change it and post an update.
BTW, are there any precautions/special procedures prior changing the sensor? Or just unplug old one, plug in new one and ready to go?
sensor gap looks OK.
Front = 0.38 - 1.05mm. Rear = 0.42 - 1.08mm.
Standard practice is to remove them when taking wheels out - just saying. ;)
Yeah, now I know it. My first bike and I own it like 3 weeks, some things I have to learn the hard way I guess. (But I wasn't changing tires myself, just some workshop, guess not going there ever again).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your speedometer isn't working something is off with the front wheel speed sensor. Order a new or good used replacement and in the meantime, turn traction control off and pull the ABS fuse. Doing this will not hurt anything, but it will keep your ABS light on. It will also cut all power to the ABS module/pump, which will prevent unnecessary actuation until you get your new front sensor installed.
Sorry, do I remove “ABS-valve”, or “ABS-Motor” fuse?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1)On Slow speeds when breaking, the front brake lever is kind of "jumpy", like ABS is working, but the bike barely brakes.
2)When accelerating TC light constantly flashes and the bike is also "jumpy". If i turn off TC, obviously this is not a problem anymore.
3)On speeds above 20 km/h brake lever stops being jumpy and after above 30 secs of riding ABS signal lights on.
Also while doing a constant speed for example 60 km/h, once every like 5-10 seconds the speed on speedometer drops to 55 km/h for a split second and goes back to 60 km/h
I checked visually both speed sensors, but they seem fine, like there is no damage to them. There are no Error signals on a panel.
Any advice?
Hi mate, not sure if you have sorted the problem yet, but I just thought I would mention have you checked that your new tyres are Exactly the same size as the OEM tyres? Especially the profile size. It says in the bike manual that by putting a different size tyre or tyres on will make the traction control and speed malfunction because it changes the rotation speed and throws the computer out thinking it is different wheel speeds. The tyre sizes sticker is on the bike
Any advice?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts