GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi mate, not sure if you have sorted the problem yet, but I just thought I would mention have you checked that your new tyres are Exactly the same size as the OEM tyres? Especially the profile size. It says in the bike manual that by putting a different size tyre or tyres on will make the traction control and speed malfunction because it changes the rotation speed and throws the computer out thinking it is different wheel speeds. The tyre sizes sticker is on the bike
Yeah, new tyres are exactly the same, as specified on a bike sticker.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Just trying to get the full picture here.
Before you changed the tyres everything was alright yes ?
When you ride without traction control and abs is the braking good and does the speedo work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just trying to get the full picture here.
Before you changed the tyres everything was alright yes ?
When you ride without traction control and abs is the braking good and does the speedo work?
Before changin tyres, everything was good. (The tyres are absolutely the same as the previous ones and the same as specified on a label on a bike)
When I start riding if I do slow speed (up to 10 km/h) breaking is bad, front brake lever is jumpy and it only breaks if i give it more pressure,front wheel almost locks,it is a really rough break. Rear break is ok. Then, I speed up and after about 30-60 seconds of riding ABS lamp turns on and from then on breaking is good on all speeds, smooth if I apply smooth pressure on the lever. I do not know if ABS works in this situation, I didnt try to lock the breaks, kinda afraid to do so.
About the speedo - it works, but on slow speeds (up to 10 km/h) the reading i jumpy (9-5-8-4-7). When I do constant 60 km/h it shows 60, but every 5 seconds or so jumps down to 55 for just a moment and goes back to 60. Same with 110 km/h, every 5 secs jumps down to like 104 km/h and back to 110.
Sorry for poor explanation, English is not my first language, not even second.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Seems to be like an inconsistent signal feed to the ECU like that caused by a broken wire or loose connection.
If the rings are clean and undamaged and the brake discs are running true then I have no idea.
Sorry :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Seems to be like an inconsistent signal feed to the ECU like that caused by a broken wire or loose connection.
If the rings are clean and undamaged and the brake discs are running true then I have no idea.
Sorry :confused:
Can it be ECU issue for some reason?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Where did you get the new sensor and is it new or used? If it's used, it may be no good. Have you inspected the wiring harness and the connector where it plugs into the front ABS senor? Confirm there's no damage to the terminals inside the connector. Also, follow the wire harness from the wheel and up the forks while inspecting it for any pinched or damaged spots. Under the fuel tank there's another place where the front wheel ABS harness can be disconnected. It's along the right side frame rail. Confirm that it's clipped together and not loose or damaged.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I start riding if I do slow speed (up to 10 km/h) breaking is bad, front brake lever is jumpy and it only breaks if i give it more pressure,front wheel almost locks,it is a really rough break.
- I would suggest to remove both front calipers and make sure everything is as it should be, free moving pistons, pads etc, (I had a similar lever feeling on my Africa Twin and turned out to be a couple of semi siezed pistons )

Then, I speed up and after about 30-60 seconds of riding ABS lamp turns on and from then on breaking is good on all speeds, smooth if I apply smooth pressure on the lever.
- I take it that the ABS light has gone off and the re illuminates, I would suggest that at this point the coherence issue has caused the ABS to de-activate and throw a fault light, the bike has to be moving at a certain speed for a certain distance in order for the system to verify that everything is in order before turning off the ABS light and leaving the system active and functioning. Strange though for it to go out and the come back on. would have thought it wouldn't go out in the first instance.

My next area of concern would be the rear ABS sensor, these very easily damaged if they are not removed before removing and installing the rear wheel. If all was fine before the tyre replacement and then the issues have occurred since the re installation of the wheels then I would have to assume something is either not located properly, damaged, chaffed or ortherwise incorrectly installed and that is causing you your problems. Personally I would take everything off and put it all back together carefully checking everything. Do it according to the book then you'll know you've done it correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, guys, I sm not only dumb, but also blind. Started to get desparate about my problem, so decided to check again all wiring, sensors and sensor rings. And I have no idea how I missed it, but front senor Ring had a dent in it, it was kinda hard to see, you had to looak at a particular angle. Today had front wheel dismounted, Ring was removed, bent back in installed and everything works fine. So case closed.
I really apreciate all your help, thank you and ride safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, guys, I sm not only dumb, but also blind. Started to get desparate about my problem, so decided to check again all wiring, sensors and sensor rings. And I have no idea how I missed it, but front senor Ring had a dent in it, it was kinda hard to see, you had to looak at a particular angle. Today had front wheel dismounted, Ring was removed, bent back in installed and everything works fine. So case closed.
Sensor rings tend to be stamped out of thin sheet and can be easily distorted. Seen it before.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
All together now, HIP HIP HOOOOOOOORAY :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news...back to normal then! Sounds like the guy who fitted the wheel back on after new tyre put on must of knocked the sensor ring on the end of the fork or calliper

21 - 36 of 36 Posts