GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to wire in my gps unit permanently. i don't want to plug it in the usb port as I want to leave that free for my phone. What I'd like to do is tap into the same wires that provide power to the usb port with a t-tap. I just need to know how to access those wires. I see there are several different panels held in place with clips and rather than just start taking everything apart I was hoping someone had already done it and could point me to exactly which panel to remove. if nobody knows then I guess I'll have to take apart everything and see for myself.

Or better yet does anybody have a service manual with diagrams showing exactly how to take the panels apart?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I was looking for the Heated Grips power socket, I just followed the instructions that are in the Owners Manual that came with the bike; they were pretty clear on how to get the outer fairing panels off. This is what it looks like under the left hand fairing. Ignore the red drawn-on circle; that is from the FaceBook page for tracking down the power socket, but that plug/socket only gives 5V, so is presumably linked to the ECM for something.

You may be able to get to the USB connector wires by removing or at least loosening the inner fairing panel once the outer is off, but I haven't tried that yet. I guess you may be able to trace the wires to the USB, though, without taking the inner off. If you have to take the headlight fairing off, it may be worth considering using the Heated Grips power socket, although you do have to take both outer fairings off and raise the tank to get to that.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up just using a fuse tap. I may at some point lift the fuel tank and tap into the wire under there but for now the fuse tap works fine. Only problem is I had to leave the fuse cover off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I'd known beforehand how much effort was needed to get to the Suzuki connector, I probably would have done something similar to you, However, once I finally found the connector, I figured I might as well use it as it had taken so much time to get to it! I ran a separate wire to under the seat from the connector so that, if I want to power something else in the future, I can at least use that wire, even if it's just to power a relay for a more powerful item.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly what I'm going to do, run a wire under the seat and then attach accessories to that wire using a t-tap connector.

Changing the air filter requires lifting the tank so I'll probably do this when it's time to change it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts