GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2017 GSXR1000 yesterday after debating it for awhile. Had 5k miles, a few goodies and a full M4 exhaust with PCV.

This thing is SUPER quick and I haven't even hit "A" mode yet.

While the riding position is certainly more aggressive, it's not overly painful for this 53 yr old. Had to do it while I'm still young. 馃檪

Attachments

Registered
Way to go ! I couldn't ride anything else for about 4 weeks when I got mine, was recapturing my younger days, kinda like that Twilight Zone episode where the geezer in the old folks home plays kick the can with the kids in the yard and becomes one of them LOL.

I'm happy with mine at traction level 3, I can give it full gas in 2nd and 3rd gear with just a nice gentle wheelie when it gets cranking with no fear of a 180 :)

Registered
Nice!!!! And so is your garage! Seeing how clean that is just reminds me of how big of a slob I am. But seriously sweet motorcycle and someone else did all the work with the exhaust!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
broncsrule21, she is, isn't she?

Moleeye, today was the first day of riding after getting tag and insurance (boy, was that an eye opener! lol) and I really didn't get to open her up. Hopefully get some seat time in later on.

Rusty, yes the M4 sounds mean! I actually took the baffle out of the Gixxus can and installed it in the Gixxer. Toned it down a bit.

I also went ahead and called M4 and ordered the parts to change out the moto Gp style can to the Tech1 Carbon style, which includes a midpipe and hanger to extend it on out.

Registered
Curious to hear about the comparisons between the 2 once you've had seat time, especially if the R has less TQ low & mid than the S.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Curious to hear about the comparisons between the 2 once you've had seat time, especially if the R has less TQ low & mid than the S.
Maybe it's the exhaust, but I haven't noticed any lack of power low or mid. I do run with it in higher rpm, but when I hit it, it moves on out!

I think these later year models have been designed different than the previous years and have spread the torque and power all thru the revs.

Maybe Moleeye can give his opinion since he's had his longer...

Registered
Maybe it's the exhaust, but I haven't noticed any lack of power low or mid. I do run with it in higher rpm, but when I hit it, it moves on out!

I think these later year models have been designed different than the previous years and have spread the torque and power all thru the revs.

Maybe Moleeye can give his opinion since he's had his longer...

I don't notice a big difference in low to mid range power between the two ( factory stock ) bikes, despite the fact that the 2017 + GSXR has variable valve timing designed to boost midrange power compared to previous R's.

As to be expected, definite difference in top end :)

Registered
Purchased a 2017 GSXR1000 yesterday after debating it for awhile. Had 5k miles, a few goodies and a full M4 exhaust with PCV.

While the riding position is certainly more aggressive, it's not overly painful for this 53 yr old. Had to do it while I'm still young. 馃檪
Very nice. With the GSXS being the fastest thing I've been on yet, I've really been wondering what a proper super bike is like. Maybe some day.

Registered

Congrats! The new GSXR is a awesome bike! I also have a 2017 GSXR-1000R. The GSXS is my laid back bike that I鈥檓 pretty content to cruise on but has plenty of power when the urge is there to play. My GIXXER is the fastest of all the GIXXER鈥檚 I鈥檝e had. It鈥檚 a beast in my opinion! Got a full Yoshimura exhaust, 520 conversion with a 16 tooth front sprocket. I鈥檝e never rode in any mode but A mode. I also put a set of Helibars on it and it has made it alot more comfortable to ride (and I don鈥檛 think anyone would notice the difference by just looking at my bike) although the GSXR鈥檚 are in my opinion the most comfortable of the main full on sport bikes to ride. Enjoy and try to stay out of trouble!

Registered
Congrats Reagg! Nothing like a new toy! Good move swapping the can out to a longer version, I am now a firm believer longer exhaust is better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, the GSXS is still my all around bike but I like playing with the Gsxr. Scrub, did you flash it or anything when you installed the Yoshimura?

I will have to check into the Helibars, but right now I'm satisfied with the position.

Rapido, yes just a toy to enjoy for a time and I'm really looking forward to getting the parts of the Tech1 Carbon. I might even see if they would fit my Gsxs with a little improv.

Attachments

Registered
Have not flashed it yet. Plan on having it dyno tuned in the coming weeks. Gonna use the same tuner that dyno tuned my GSXS. The Helibars help out when you are only 5鈥3鈥欌 and have the wingspan of a T-Rex!:D

Registered
Reagenn, do you know if yours is flashed? They are reportedly very receptive to a good flash due to U.S. restrictions on factory bikes, I know the guru over at Gixxer.com is Jason @ Karns Performance. Our man Dano does them too.

I don't know if I'm going to do mine, I don't need more power from it and at the moment I'm concentrating on making the GSXS zippier .

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Have not flashed it yet. Plan on having it dyno tuned in the coming weeks. Gonna use the same tuner that dyno tuned my GSXS. The Helibars help out when you are only 5鈥3鈥欌 and have the wingspan of a T-Rex!

Keep us posted on how that dyno tune goes!

Reagenn, do you know if yours is flashed? They are reportedly very receptive to a good flash due to U.S. restrictions on factory bikes, I know the guru over at Gixxer.com is Jason @ Karns Performance. Our man Dano does them too.

I don't know if I'm going to do mine, I don't need more power from it and at the moment I'm concentrating on making the GSXS zippier .

I don't think it's flashed, just a PCV. I didn't talk to the original owner who installed it, so I don't know if its just a canned tune or if it was dyno tuned. It's running really strong, so I don't think I will mess with it at this point. Plenty of power, almost too much for the street... about yanks my arms off. lol

Registered
Make sure the electronic steering stabilizer is still active if it has been flashed or tampered with in the ecu. I had a very good friend and former road racer at that get killed on the very same bike identical to yours with a flashed ecu and a tune which had disabled the steering stabilizer which he knew about but thought I'll get one after I ride it once. He bought the bike out of state on a sunday and was dead on it late monday evening from a wheelie over a rise in the road and followed by a serious tank slapper and he went into a power pole head first and the bike cleared a ditch and disintegrated on impact.

Those bikes really really do need a steering stabilizer. Can't race anything with WERA without one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure the electronic steering stabilizer is still active if it has been flashed or tampered with in the ecu. I had a very good friend and former road racer at that get killed on the very same bike identical to yours with a flashed ecu and a tune which had disabled the steering stabilizer which he knew about but thought I'll get one after I ride it once. He bought the bike out of state on a sunday and was dead on it late monday evening from a wheelie over a rise in the road and followed by a serious tank slapper and he went into a power pole head first and the bike cleared a ditch and disintegrated on impact.

Those bikes really really do need a steering stabilizer. Can't race anything with WERA without one.
Sorry for your loss and thanks for the warning. As it stands, I'm not going to mess with the ECU on this bike (famous last words, right?), and definitely won't change the damper settings. As others have stated, it's plenty fast for the street.

Registered
No doubt I love the bike but my want for one has changed due to the circumstances I had.

I love the RR versions, have two buddies who have them now. Very nice machines. I probably would do as you and not mess with it. Enjoy that thing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts