GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for info on adding the "fang lights" (position lamps) to my naked GSX. When I viewed the parts fiche for UK and AUS bike I haven't seen any parts for that. It would be fairly easy to make some custom wiring, but I'm wondering if any of you can describe what's actually on the non-US nakeds, or even better know or part(s) for the OEM hardware.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
The "Fang Lights" are part of the whole headlight assembly. Are you saying they do not exist on your bike.:confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "Fang Lights" are part of the whole headlight assembly. Are you saying they do not exist on your bike.:confused:
Correct.. No fang lights on US model. There are plastic caps glued onto the sockets where the LED bulbs should be. My gues is that all that is needed is a subharness that plugs into the main harness and the to pull those caps off. Since I haven't been able to find that piece of the harness online, I can't be sure though.
I could make a up a harness and my own way of plugging into the headlight, but I'm hoping I can use OEM Euro or Aus parts....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Correct.. No fang lights on US model. There are plastic caps glued onto the sockets where the LED bulbs should be. My gues is that all that is needed is a subharness that plugs into the main harness and the to pull those caps off. Since I haven't been able to find that piece of the harness online, I can't be sure though.
I could make a up a harness and my own way of plugging into the headlight, but I'm hoping I can use OEM Euro or Aus parts....
Well that sucks! The fang lights are one of the best parts of a naked.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
Mine has plastic caps but that is not where the wires go in. When you lower the headlight forward to access the main bulb there is a separate harness connector for the fangs at top center. Do you not have that? The wires go into the headlight shell lower down on the right, small hole with grommet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has plastic caps but that is not where the wires go in. When you lower the headlight forward to access the main bulb there is a separate harness connector for the fangs at top center. Do you not have that? The wires go into the headlight shell lower down on the right, small hole with grommet.
I'll have to lower the headlight assy again tonight or tomorrow, but there was no harness that I noticed and no wires running into the housing (other than the one for the headlight bulb..... and I'm guessing that's exactly what I need. If the bulbs don't go where those caps are, how does one access them....or are the permanently built into the overall headlight housing?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just went out to the garage and turned on the ignition. Guess what.....the fang lights do not illuminate. I always assumed that they came on with the head light. Gixxus put it best.....that really sucks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been looking for info on adding the "fang lights" (position lamps) to my naked GSX. When I viewed the parts fiche for UK and AUS bike I haven't seen any parts for that. It would be fairly easy to make some custom wiring, but I'm wondering if any of you can describe what's actually on the non-US nakeds, or even better know or part(s) for the OEM hardware.

Thanks
Denver, I'm curious. How did find out that the fang lights don't work on US bikes? I never bothered to look at mine (until today) from the front with the ignition on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what I see (pics attached) There is one harness that is basically capped off right above the H4 connector and there is another connector that is unused over closer to the main harness. I also don't see where wires would enter on this housing, so I'm guessing that the LED's aren't present either.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Denver, I'm curious. How did find out that the fang lights don't work on US bikes? I never bothered to look at mine (until today) from the front with the ignition on.
I dunno, I think what got me to look was when I putting the fly screen on and noticed there weren't any other connected wires a couple of days after I got the bike. The someone else mentioned changing the H4 bulb to LED to to match the **** lights....thats when it dawned on me that I had never actually seen them operate.... :(

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do you have the parking light switch on ignition?
I'm not 100% but I'm sure the fang bulbs were not where I expected
them to be, like the light was carried a few inches but I could be going
mad and getting confused with another vehicle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do you have the parking light switch on ignition?
I'm not 100% but I'm sure the fang bulbs were not where I expected
them to be, like the light was carried a few inches but I could be going
mad and getting confused with another vehicle.
Yep... I've looked with the key on, running, and even in the park position. If you look at the pics I posted on the previous page there really isn't any wiring connected to the headlamp assembly other than the H4 connector...
I suspect the housing is a different part number than the non-US bikes...similar to us having different switch gear and no hazard flashers and euro bikes do...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Been a while since I've seen inside my light but that sucks massive balls that you don't have the fangs, I thought that was the whole point of the shape of the light.
At least you have the reflectors...

Edit, just found this and I wasn't going mad, the bulb is nowhere near the fangs and there is only one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pic ackack...that shows that I'd need to drill/cutout out the hole that is still plugged on my housing. Where do the two wires that are powering the fang light go? From the pic it looks like it may just be tapped off of the H4 plug...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'll take mine apart in the morning and get a pic for you or at least find out where the wiring goes, unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome...thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Should be noted that the US "F" models also lack the "fang" lights.

·
Registered
647 Posts
As you can see the 2 wires come off the main loom then it turns into a big white plug then wiring sits behind 2 little clips then the bulb.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts