GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some aftermarket levers (v-trec) but when fitting the clutch lever there is 0 free play. The bike only has 100 miles on it and over time the cable will stretch, but has anyone else had issues.

I wondered if I should move the clutch release arm one spline over giving me plenty of adjustment. I don't want to remove the clutch release adjuster cap and start messing with a new bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have some aftermarket levers (v-trec) but when fitting the clutch lever there is 0 free play. The bike only has 100 miles on it and over time the cable will stretch, but has anyone else had issues.

I wondered if I should move the clutch release arm one spline over giving me plenty of adjustment. I don't want to remove the clutch release adjuster cap and start messing with a new bike.
I've got the same problem...that adjusting nut on the engine looks a right bugger to get to...:|

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spanners that pivot so can get to the nut, but the service manual has 3 points for adjustment. The lever, the other end of the cable on clutch housing and behind the clutch cover on the right side of the engine.

It would be easier to move the clutch release arm and just adjust using the cable only, but not sure if moving the arm is ok. Cant see it doing any harm as long as it gets enough movement to release the clutch.

Clutch lever is the main one to replace as there is no span adjustment on the factory fitted lever. Not bothered about looks, but want the function.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Moving the arm could effect how hard the pull on the clutch feels.
I too fitted aftermarket levers and have about 2mm lever play ...for me that's enough as there will be slight cable stretch with time.
Stick to the adjuster nuts even if you have to buy proper spanners and leave the lever arm alone..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same issue with the v trec levers and moved the arm by one spline, no problem with the clutch action at all. But you'll then have to have the adjuster at the lever a few turns out to get the right free play.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It should be OK to move the lever, but I'd use that as a last resort. It will change the relationship of where the clutch engages/disengages relative to the clutch lever. One spline shouldn't make a big enough difference to hurt anything. Too many more splines and you might not be fully disengaging the clutch when the lever is at the handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. Think I will move the clutch arm over and re-adjust the cables until the cable stretches enough that I can move it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts