GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a Thermal Barrier on the top and bottom of my air box. I purchased a kit of DEI Reflect-A-Gold thermal laminated material. The extra material left over from the air box was installed on the under side of my gas tank.

I'm not sure how much this material will lower my air inlet temps because I did not benchmark any readings prior to this install, but I do know it does work.

Here are some picture of the finished install.

Here is a link to my PAIR removal and resistor plug post.
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-appearance-modifications/32410-2016-pair-removal-making-pair-resistor-plug.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just did the same thing to my VTR... Not sure how effective it really is (for street use, which is how I use my bike), but it can't hurt...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did the same thing to my VTR... Not sure how effective it really is (for street use, which is how I use my bike), but it can't hurt...
Agreed.

I figured since I had the motorcycle apart (removing the PAIR system, the air box baffle, and installed the K&N filter) it was a good time to go ahead and install the thermal shield.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So. Fricken. GOLD!
It so GOLD that... when I was riding the motorcycle last night, I could see a golden light illuminating from all under the gas tank and between the engine.

Joking. You can barely see the the air box after the motorcycle is fully assembled.

That barrier has a bright glossy gold color and is very sticky on the back side. The newly wrapped golden air box is almost to "purdy" to hide with the gas tank, but to ride the motorcycle you need a gas tank.

I cannot imagine how hard it would be to remove that sticky barrier after a few months or years.

·
Registered
451 Posts
****, is there a way we can ride without a gas tank, or tank upside down? That looks too cool to cover up. You did a pro looking job, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i want see test :p if is usefull or useless.

Because the bike rpm is very high on the motorcycle, and the airbox flow is very fast so ...

I don't know :s

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Personally I don’t think it will make any difference but it looks cool so who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
please explain the reduced wear; never heard of that before
There's a theoretical wear reduction if the intake temp is lower, but we're talking about the engine lasting 300,008 miles instead of 300,000. There isn't going to be any actual, real-world wear savings given the tiny change in intake temperature and the life-cycle of the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts