GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is interesting, but makes so much sense.

Its not often we see anything associated with an engine that makes it more quiet, AND boosts performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I first did it the same way... only some screws. Looks good for a test ride, enjoy!

Please notice that the air intake entrance is now not so much protected against flies and so on. Had to clean it up afterwards.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Stick a vacuum in once a week, sorted. I'm playing around with the idea of a mesh screen attached inside the air box or perhaps keeping the covers but drilling some holes. The second option might just create turbulence without really creating additional air flow...dunno yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
With the cutouts I don't have any issue. But if one drives a lot in rain, he may only remove the frame out of the air box.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recommend to remove the plate inside the air box first cause it is no problem to reinsert it.
If it is too loud for you I would not recommend to make the cutouts also.
I felt a difference also only with the removed plate. Nicer air intake sound and the bike felt a bit smoother.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Try breathing hard through a straw, then remove said straw and take a deep breath. That's what the restrictor plate is doing, restricting the passage of air. So that's what I call it. I'm funny like that. And noise, let's not forget noise. All those decibels going to waste.

[email protected] their cunning souls with their benign names! They could call it a happy-good-time plate for all I care but it's function remains the same.

And let's all not get too hung up on air fuel ratio effect. I'm sure this rather minor alteration has been catered for in the tune. Or not. It's all good.

Twist loud-stick, go fast, make noise, smile...and repeat. Simples.
funny thing about smaller openings air travelers faster...like the straw you talk about,,,,try spiting a spitball threw a pipe...then use the straw....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hi All,
I was googling on air boxes last week to see if there was mechanism that make that induction sound.
Here is good read on the subject from California Scientific. Resonant Air boxes: Theory and Applications

I found it a interesting subject and the end conclusion was that you would be best advised to leave it well alone.
The story goes that the Designers make the entire air box (and that slotted separator plate) and lead in tubes in precise shape and dimension to create resonances at various frequency(s) to balance out the emission dips deliberately introduced by them for noise control.
As you know, it is not a perfect balance by a long way, but it is still free torque, against a HP surge.

Another gem I read was that the inlet tubes are oval shaped as the air travel's slower around the edges than the middle of the pipe and it travels in a cork screw turbulence, so the oval shape has another benefit other than lower height.
The rubber things at the front entrance to the inlet tubes are included in the resonance frequency calculations too (and I thought they were just to keep the sh*t out).
With the Yamaha Bolt there are 2 rectangular boxes at the frame headstock: they apparently are sub resonators, rather than plain ugly box covers.

In saying leave it alone, I should point out on my long gone Honda CB900F Hornet, the air box intake at the air filter has a vacuum operated sluice valve that stayed closed and blocked a good 70% on the inlet diameter. The bike under 40KPH was gasping for air, till the speed past that when it fully opened. A 5 minute fix, for a huge gain in ride ability and smoothness.
It was totally for noise control because if the vacuum hose was pulled off and plugged, there was great deal of power liberated from that bike, for not that much noise at a reasonable RPM.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
there's a thing called still air...that's how the air box are designed ..intake likes to draw from calm air...not air turbulence bouncing around...don't help with a nice clean mixture or burn....
I think You and Kawasaki better have a long talk about Ram Air Induction.
Those Guy's at Kawa will most interested to know that the ZZR, ZX14R, ZX10 et al were all advertised with falsehoods.
They are not designed with 'still air' - there designed for a vortex of turbulent flow with resonation characteristics.
An air intake designed system is the same as a 2 stroke expansion muffler, but at the front end of the engine air pump, not the ar*se.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I think You and Kawasaki better have a long talk about Ram Air Induction.
Those Guy's at Kawa will most interested to know that the ZZR, ZX14R, ZX10 et al were all advertised with falsehoods.
They are not designed with 'still air' - there designed for a vortex of turbulent flow with resonation characteristics.
An air intake designed system is the same as a 2 stroke expansion muffler, but at the front end of the engine air pump, not the ar*se.

Rob.
Ram air induction holy cow i remember car,s 40 years ago with ram air logo on the hood scoops...guess there designed that way....so a gsxs air box style wont work well on the Ram air system.......and ram air system airbox wont work well on gsxs.....thats my point .thankyou......you lost me at 2 stroke expansion muffler,,,im backing away slowly from that one :laugh:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Nice to see this thread is still generating discussion. I'll stick with the idea that a more 'open' airbox is better than the restricted stock version until a strong counter-arguement is provided.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The main function of that plate is to distribute air evenly below the filter to make sure all cylinders are fed exactly the same. I'm sure Suzuki engineers knew exactly how much of a restriction such a plate was causing in the tract but they somehow judged that keeping 1 or 2 cylinders from running lean was more important performance and realiability-wise.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts