GSXS 1000 Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I removed mine last year, I also decatted the bike (installed a decat mid pipe) and tossed in a K/N high flow filter at same time. My bike was tuned already and ran great before, but afterwards it kinda ran crappy. I called up danos perf, told him about me removing the restrictor in airbox and decatted, he said it most likely needed enriched.

Got it back, and my bike ran like a champ. way better than before imo. it ran great before but its much louder, it is quiet, but wot it screams. but I also have a decat and more air and more fuel in the mix, freer flowing all around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When we tuned mine it was way to Lean! It had the stock air filter in it with a header and exhaust, no end can just straight piped with 02 sensor! But yes mostly it was in the low range where I do most of my riding! Wot it was decent but still little lean! She is right now my buddy did a good job it’s a different bike now!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Danos told me to remove this plate while I was going over my flash with him, he said its a good way to make a few extra ponies.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Induction sound and a more even distribution of air across the filter are the only proven effects. Still worth taking out when you're in the air box.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Goon - what's the relevance of the dyno graph to the topic? Is that the gain from just removing the throttle plate??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today I decided to pull the fairings off for the first time, lift and remove the fuel tank, remove the airbox cover and air filter, and then remove the airbox restrictor plate. The job took me about 40 minutes from start to finish and was incredibly simple. I'm really enjoying how easy this bike is to modify, repair, and maintain. Since this mod is easy and free, I figured I could reverse it if needed for whatever reason.

Here's where things get interesting. After removing the airbox restrictor plate, I took the bike out for a 30 minute ride and was amazed at the difference it made. The bike seems to have TONS more torque throughout the entire RPM band, but most notably, at very low RPM. The bike will happily pull itself along in sixth gear at low speeds that it didn't previously like and it pulls like a freight train from those lower RPM's.

Also, being a 2020 model, my bike didn't suffer from the terrible throttle snatch of the earlier model year bikes, but it was still there enough to be slightly annoying. Low speed throttle inputs are now buttery smooth with no more jerkiness. No longer do light inputs of the throttle cause the bike to lurch forward and same goes for closing the throttle. No more of the previous hard "on/off switch" feel. It's smooth on, smooth off.

Lastly, I noticed the bike will idle along at very low speeds in first gear without me having to manipulate it by feathering the clutch in and out. I have a roundabout near my house that I previously had to feather the clutch in and out in order to follow slow moving vehicles around. Now the bike will pull itself along at 8-10 MPH with the clutch out and the engine at idle speed. I used to have the same problem in parking lots. Very low speeds required a lot of clutch manipulation in order to keep the bike moving at very low speed and prevent it from suffering that on/off jerkiness. I went to my son's high school parking lot and tested this some more by cruising around in first gear with the clutch out and the bike will simply putt around the lot at idle between 8-10 MPH.

In summary, I never really realized just how bad this bike was with low speed movement and on/off throttle inputs until I've now ridden it without those issues. It's like a totally different bike and I couldn't be happier. I'm intrigued about why simply removing the airbox restrictor plate would make such an extraordinary difference in the ridability of this bike. I can only assume that the restrictor plate was so effective at restricting airflow that it was acting like a carbureted bike with the choke engaged and now without it in place, the bike can breathe properly.

Has anyone else with a stock bike removed the plate and noticed anything similar?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lastly, I noticed the bike will idle along at very low speeds in first gear without me having to manipulate it by feathering the clutch in and out. I have a roundabout near my house that I previously had to feather the clutch in and out in order to follow slow moving vehicles around. Now the bike will pull itself along at 8-10 MPH with the clutch out and the engine at idle speed. I used to have the same problem in parking lots. Very low speeds required a lot of clutch manipulation in order to keep the bike moving at very low speed and prevent it from suffering that on/off jerkiness. I went to my son's high school parking lot and tested this some more by cruising around in first gear with the clutch out and the bike will simply putt around the lot at idle between 8-10 MPH.
How weird??
I've a 2015 and once it was ran in it's always been like that. The airbox and pipes are all bog standard and it has always been able to pull 30 mph in sixth gear.
I wonder if there are any differences between the European models and the US?? (Not including Californian of course, they always muck things up for emissions :LOL: ).

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can't say I noticed all those things (just the TQ increase) but I'd wait and see if it's still the same after another few rides. Sometimes, just a different air (temp, humidity, baro) can affect how an internal combustion engine runs. I've noticed that for years on all my ICE cars ... now my electric car, that always runs the same regardless of what the air is like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't say I noticed all those things (just the TQ increase) but I'd wait and see if it's still the same after another few rides. Sometimes, just a different air (temp, humidity, baro) can affect how an internal combustion engine runs. I've noticed that for years on all my ICE cars ... now my electric car, that always runs the same regardless of what the air is like.
It hasn't changed since then. I'm happy with the difference it made. Didn't expect much other than more noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How weird??
I've a 2015 and once it was ran in it's always been like that. The airbox and pipes are all bog standard and it has always been able to pull 30 mph in sixth gear.
I wonder if there are any differences between the European models and the US?? (Not including Californian of course, they always muck things up for emissions :LOL: ).
It is weird and certainly more than I expected. As for differences between the Euro and US models, I don't have a clue. I do know that my bike doesn't have the charcoal canister/EVAP purge system that the California bikes have, which I'm also thankful for. That's one less thing I have to remove. 😆

101 - 114 of 114 Posts