·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi,

do you have tried to eliminate restrictions that are in the airbox
both inside and outside ??
Restrictions?
What restrictions?
If you want to know about restrictions, check out the airbox of a B-King.
It still whops out an impressive 184HP compared to the Busa's 197HP. (Some lost in the exhaust also).

Seriously, there are not much restrictions other than maybee the OEM airfilter in the GSXS airbox.
It even has a very efficient intake, although not "ram-air" due to no fairing guiding air in the (big) holes in the frame.

What holds the GSXS "down" in power is fueling (for EURO 4) and less agressive cam profiles. That is my understanding at least :)

Remap, GSXR-cams and it would be on par with the "donor" K5 engine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
agreed on the cams and fueling but if you look at the details the valves are also different if one were to try and get the engine back to GSXR K5 spec the changes in the valves would need to be addresses as well as ECU rev limit restriction. The GSXS has a couple thousand less red line supposedly due to using steel valves. I am also not sure if there are other differences in valve design ie spring return rate etc. that would cause the need for the reduced red line ? just my thoughts so if i said anything wrong i am happy for someone with more knowledge to correct me :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not sure about the reason for the lower rev limit, but the GSXS has no CPS (Cam Position Sensor). Could be one reason.
Steel vs Titanium should not matter. It is not un-common to switch from titanium to steel valves for seriously tuned engines (heads).
I have not studied differences in head design myself. Thought this should be farily similar to the K5 GSXR "base", but probably not?
There are lots of K5-K6 GSXR heads on eBay (ported/used originals), so this could be an option for those trying to get back the power lurking in the engine.
:)

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,884 Posts
here is the outside airbox

the inside is the bulkhead nr 13
I removed that "separator plate" when I was trying to find out why the Air-box made so much noise. It is thin and flimsy and I thought it might be acting like a "resonator", however it made no difference to the sound that I could tell. It just seems to direct the air to the centre of the filter so I put it back in.:confused:
No idea on performance effect, I've got quite enough already as standard.;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Restrictions?
What restrictions?
If you want to know about restrictions, check out the airbox of a B-King.
It still whops out an impressive 184HP compared to the Busa's 197HP. (Some lost in the exhaust also).

Seriously, there are not much restrictions other than maybee the OEM airfilter in the GSXS airbox.
It even has a very efficient intake, although not "ram-air" due to no fairing guiding air in the (big) holes in the frame.

What holds the GSXS "down" in power is fueling (for EURO 4) and less agressive cam profiles. That is my understanding at least :)

Remap, GSXR-cams and it would be on par with the "donor" K5 engine.
Are many differences between the engines , but nothing so difficult to modify >:D

what must be designed is an "upgrade" for the airbox
cannot drill holes like a 50cc tomos ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts