GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
DO IT! Click that mouse! 🤣

As an aside, if you're currently running Black Widow headers with the stock can, I doubt you would need to have the bike retuned/reflashed for the Akrapovic. The two are similar enough that I can't see it making much, if any, difference. I believe the Akra can meets the same noise and emissions specs as the stock one, so swapping them would be easy aesthetic upgrade.
You are not helping matters… lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You are not helping matters… lol
I know, but it would make me feel better about spending $700 on a slip-on if I could convince another guy to do the same. It would seem more reasonable if I wasn't the only one doing it! 🤣

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know, but it would make me feel better about spending $700 on a slip-on if I could convince another guy to do the same. It would seem more reasonable if I wasn't the only one doing it! 🤣
Like your way of thinking… i think the rear shock screams to me before this.. one thing for sure i love this bike and its defo a keeper…

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Like your way of thinking… i think the rear shock screams to me before this.. one thing for sure i love this bike and its defo a keeper…
I've only just bought mine, but I'm loving it so far.

And I agree that the rear shock isn't the greatest. On the ride home from the dealership it felt like the bike had no rear shock at all. Stiff as a board. So much so, that even at 230 pounds geared up, the bike was bucking me off like a bronco over every little imperfection in the road. Once I got home and set the front and rear suspension up as best I could for my weight/riding style/preferences, I've found that it's not THAT bad. Doesn't offer everything I'd like in a proper rear suspension, but it's 100x better than it was when I first bought it. Why Suzuki chose this rear shock and why they think it's best to set it up that way from the factory is beyond me. I can live with it as is for now. Maybe I'll look deeper into upgrading it sometime in the future once I get the exhaust and tune done. I would really prefer the bike to be tuned on the dyno, but the closest guy that I would trust to do it properly is about 10 hours from me. Might just have to try a flash from Dano, I guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only just bought mine, but I'm loving it so far.

And I agree that the rear shock isn't the greatest. On the ride home from the dealership it felt like the bike had no rear shock at all. Stiff as a board. So much so, that even at 230 pounds geared up, the bike was bucking me off like a bronco over every little imperfection in the road. Once I got home and set the front and rear suspension up as best I could for my weight/riding style/preferences, I've found that it's not THAT bad. Doesn't offer everything I'd like in a proper rear suspension, but it's 100x better than it was when I first bought it. Why Suzuki chose this rear shock and why they think it's best to set it up that way from the factory is beyond me. I can live with it as is for now. Maybe I'll look deeper into upgrading it sometime in the future once I get the exhaust and tune done. I would really prefer the bike to be tuned on the dyno, but the closest guy that I would trust to do it properly is about 10 hours from me. Might just have to try a flash from Dano, I guess.
In my experience i’d say go for the dyno, i know most of our bikes are the same, where i flash is great, but i went with with the dyno that allowed a more personal touch..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In my experience i’d say go for the dyno, i know most of our bikes are the same, where i flash is great, but i went with with the dyno that allowed a more personal touch..
I agree and would definitely prefer that to a mail order flash. I'll have to ask around and find a trustworthy tuner that's closer to me then the one I'd like to use that's 10 hours away. If I can't find one I'll just mail it off to Chris Moore or Dano.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the additional pics! I think it's the best looking slip-on available for our bikes. Which headers are pictured there?

And did you paint/Plasti-Dip your headlight surround? I like the blacked out look. You and I have very similar mods. I have a Vagabond tail tidy, same bar end mirrors, similar front and rear turn signals, and Evotech frame and front/rear axle sliders. Also changed out the bar clamps for a set of new Suzuki clamps without the mirror mounts. Along with a bunch of other subtle modifications. I've been considering having the wheels powdercoated gloss black when it comes time for new tires. Unsure how I feel about my current wheel color.

I also just installed a Puig New Generation windscreen. I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to change the aggressive look of the naked GSX-S by adding a screen. I wasn't sure about the look immediately after installing it, but it's growing on me the more I look at it from different angles when I'm out and the bike is parked. It also works surprisingly well for it's size. I'm just over 5'11" tall and it greatly reduced the "parachute effect" I would get at highway speeds (70+ mph) by redirecting the airflow over and away from my chest and torso. Puig designed a very clean mounting solution, as well. No visible mounting brackets or anything else once installed.

These are the only two pics I have with the screen mounted. I'll have to get some better pictures soon.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have custom made headers with long secondaries.
I think your wheel color looks great, but I could see going with different color to make it original.

I now have a small wind screen also and it does help cut the wind blast down, so a keeper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have custom made headers with long secondaries.
I think your wheel color looks great, but I could see going with different color to make it original.

I now have a small wind screen also and it does help cut the wind blast down, so a keeper.
Assuming they're Paul's headers. I read about that whole debacle. Unfortunate situation for some of the guys here. I'll post pics once I get the Akrapovic.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
448 Posts
is this a performance decision , i find that regardless of the can , a decat gsxs1000 sounds the same depending on whether its a stubby (no performancce increase just noise) or a long can (quieter but performance related).

am i wrong about this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
is this a performance decision , i find that regardless of the can , a decat gsxs1000 sounds the same depending on whether its a stubby (no performancce increase just noise) or a long can (quieter but performance related).

am i wrong about this?
Honestly, the Akrapovic slip-on is mostly an aesthetic choice for me. The decat is simply to gain a bit more sound while I'm at it. I'm fully aware that any increase in power from the decat will be minimal, but I do expect to see some performance advantages after the tune/flash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, new to the community, my 2016 S has been decatted and runs the stock silencer, not that it does much, if you look at the stock silencer there's not much inside it anyway - unless mine has had the internals ripped out, plenty loud enough. I dont think a slip on will make a lot of difference and for a stock can it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi All, new to the community, my 2016 S has been decatted and runs the stock silencer, not that it does much, if you look at the stock silencer there's not much inside it anyway - unless mine has had the internals ripped out, plenty loud enough. I dont think a slip on will make a lot of difference and for a stock can it looks pretty good.
It will only make it quieter due to the baffles

21 - 40 of 75 Posts