GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi All, new to the community, my 2016 S has been decatted and runs the stock silencer, not that it does much, if you look at the stock silencer there's not much inside it anyway - unless mine has had the internals ripped out, plenty loud enough. I dont think a slip on will make a lot of difference and for a stock can it looks pretty good.
That's correct. I don't expect the Akrapovic to be any louder than the factory muffler, nor do I expect an increase in power. Combined with the decat, it may sound different then the factory slip-on, but we'll see. I'll test both just to see if there's a difference in the way they sound.

I chose the Akrapovic because it saves a bit of weight and it looks beautiful, especially combined with the carbon heat shield that's included. There's nothing wrong with the original slip-on, I just prefer the Akra.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Just finished installing the Dominator decat pipe about 20 minutes ago and the job was very simple. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove and reinstall the factory exhaust. I unbolted the radiator and swung it forward and it gave me plenty of room to get at the header bolts. I was also surprised at how little torque they had from the factory. This bike is brand new with less than 1k miles on it and some of the header bolts were **** near finger tight. The top/left side bolts were all tight, but the bottom/right side bolts were all barely torqued. They're all tight now.

Start to finish, the job took me about two hours. Removing all the plastics and lifting the tank on the naked model is a simple ten minute job and within the first 30 minutes I had the full exhaust system removed from the bike. I used one of these tailpipe cutters to cut the exhaust and remove the muffler box. It worked like a charm and made a very clean cut exactly where I wanted it.

If you make the cut in exactly the right spot, you'll end up cutting through the exhaust directly between the two catalytic converters. For those that don't know, yes, there are two converters in our exhaust. They're both located in the larger diameter section of tubing between the header and muffler box.

I removed the rear converter and left the front one in place. I also left the exhaust valve in place, as well as the oxygen sensor. I will be removing the exhaust valve servo motor and cables and the oxygen sensor once I get my ECU back from Dano, as he'll be eliminating them via the flash, but for now I retained them. I chose to leave one of the converters in place for now as a starting point. I want the bike to be louder then it was stock, but not ridiculously loud. If it isn't loud enough, I always have the option of removing the remaining converter, but I can't do the opposite and reinstall it if it turned out to be too loud had I removed both from the get-go.

I've seen quite a few posts from others who mentioned that the factory rear bolt that held the original muffler box on was too long to use with the Dominator pipe. If you remove the rubber grommets from the muffler box and reuse both of them in the same locations as they were previously, the bolt works just like it did before and is the correct length. No need to go searching for a shorter bolt this way. It makes for a cleaner setup and also provides some vibration dampening and allows for some amount of flexibility in the exhaust system when the bike is running.

I sold my M4 slip-on to another member here and I'm currently still waiting for the Akrapovic slip-on to arrive, so I reinstalled the factory slip-on for now. The Akrapovic is scheduled for delivery by UPS on Wednesday, so I'll update the thread with pictures on Wednesday afternoon once I get it installed. I'm really looking forward to it!

Here's a few pics of the Dominator pipe:

I haven't started the bike yet to hear how it sounds because it was 10:00 at night when I finished and I wanted to be respectful of my neighbors. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So I was finally able to start the bike today and it's definitely louder, but not ridiculous. I did have a small exhaust leak where the Dominator pipe clamps to the original header, but I was able to loosen everything up and reposition that connection while retorquing the clamp and its no longer leaking.

I'm not so sure about the sound. With the decat pipe in place and the stock slip-on it's kind of raspy sounding. I prefer a more smooth/crisp exhaust note without the raspy sound. I'm hoping I'll achieve that when I replace the stock slip-on with the Akrapovic in two days. If not, I'll have to figure something else out. Not sure if removing the exhaust valve would eliminate that raspyness or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just got an update from UPS and the Akrapovic slip-on is now scheduled for delivery tomorrow instead of Wednesday! Woo hoo! I'm so excited to get this **** thing and install it. Everything I've seen says that the Akrapovic products are like works of art, so I'm anxiously awaiting delivery so I can see it in person!

Also, I just took the bike out for it's maiden voyage after the Dominator pipe install and I noticed a few differences between how it was previously with the exhaust unmodified and now after the decat pipe install.

First thing I noticed is that the idle doesn't seem to be quite as smooth as it was before. I'm not sure if it's actually less smooth or if I'm just noticing more of the variation in RPM at idle because it's now substantially louder. Second thing I noticed is the bike isn't as smooth at very low RPM as it was previously. For example, at low RPM in each gear, the bike wants to be one gear lower at a given speed then it did before and if I force it to cruise at very low RPM, the bike bucks a little like it needs to be downshifted to the next lower gear. Once I downshift and bring the RPM up a bit, it's fine. Hopefully this is just due to being way too lean and will be fixed after sending the ECU out to Dano for the flash. The last thing I noticed is the bike seems to have more power, even without the flash yet. I don't believe it's just a placebo effect due to the louder exhaust note because I noticed that with traction control off, the bike will pull the front end off the ground in first and second gear much easier than before. I'm 230 pounds with gear on, and it took a good hard twist of the throttle to get the bike to pull the front end off the ground before. Now it wants to lift off on it's own, which I'm happy with because I like to ride out the occasional power wheelie and now I don't feel like I have to beat on the bike to get the front end up. I'm assuming this will be even better after the flash. I'll be sending the ECU out to Dano later this week after installing the Akrapovic slip-on and getting a few miles logged afterwards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I received the Akrapovic slip-on a couple days ago and installed it that night after work. It mated up to the Dominator decat pipe perfectly and everything fell into place. I think it looks great and sounds incredible! The titanium and carbon fiber really flow well with my bike's factory colors. I'll include some pics of the finished product at the end of this post.

I mentioned previously in this thread that the exhaust had a raspy sound after installing the Dominator pipe with the factory slip-on behind it. I believe the built-in DB killer in the factory slip-on was causing a bit of uneven flow, hence this raspy/wheezing sound I was picking up on. Almost like the exhaust was backing up a bit and the bike couldn't breathe as freely as it wanted to. I'm happy to report that there's no more rasp to the exhaust note. The Akrapovic is a straight through design with no internal DB killer, so the exhaust gasses flow very freely.

There's also a noticeable difference in noise level between the factory slip-on and the Akrapovic, with the latter being substantially louder. I was really surprised at how loud this slip-on was, being that it meets all the Euro 4 requirements for emissions and noise pollution. Obviously, that only applies when it's installed on the unmolested factory exhaust system, though. I was hoping for a bit less noise than what I ended up with, but I'll admit that after a couple 45 minute rides, I'm really liking it. The primary (first in line) catalytic converter and exhaust valve are both still in place, so I'm sure without these the bike would be even louder.

I'm now undecided as to whether or not I'll be leaving the exhaust valve in place or removing it. I originally planned on having Dano eliminate it via the flash and then removing the servo motor and cables once I received my ECU back, but now I'm unsure because I don't want it any louder. I may try unplugging the servo motor or pulling it's fuse so it's temporarily inoperable, disconnecting the cables, and then going for a quick ride to see how much the noise level increases without the valve functioning. Then I'll know whether to keep it or delete it.

Here's some pics of the bike with the Dominator/Akrapovic combo:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow, that looks good! Do a drive-off video for us in the other video clips thread.

Btw, what advantage is there to removing the valve?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Wow, that looks good! Do a drive-off video for us in the other video clips thread.

Btw, what advantage is there to removing the valve?
Thanks, Lou! I took a video of some low-mid RPM revving with my cell phone, but I think the decibel level is just too much for the phone to handle. Unfortunately, I don't have a proper camera to film with. I'll try getting someone to film a drive-off and a quick flyby video from a short distance away. Maybe the phone will pick up the sound if it's not placed right next to the bike.

As far as removing the exhaust valve, there's only two or three advantages I'm aware of. One is increased noise for those who are looking for that. I believe without the valve functioning and limiting exhaust flow at certain RPM ranges, you'll have all the noise all the time. The second advantage is reduced weight. If the tuner disables/eliminates the valve via the flash, you can then remove the servo motor and cables from the bike and save another few pounds of weight off the bike. The added benefit of removing the motor is you get to free up a big chunk of space in front of the rear shock assembly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Pulled the bike apart today and blocked off the pair valve in preparation for Dano eliminating it via the flash. I didn't want to unplug it yet in order to avoid a FI code/light, so I simply removed the hose connecting the air box to the pair valve and used a 5/8" inside diameter (rubber) coolant cap to plug the airbox nipple and the pair valve nipple.

When the pair valve opens, it draws it's fresh air from the air box via a single hose. If this hose is plugged or missing altogether, it will not be able to draw in fresh air and inject it into the exhaust stream. This allows wideband oxygen sensors/autotune setups to gather proper air/fuel ratios and eliminates most of the larger pops, bangs, and flames on decel. I don't mind the pops and bangs, but unfortunately explosions inside of the exhaust aren't the greatest thing for your muffler and I'd like to do whatever I can to protect my overpriced $750 Akrapovic slip-on. 😝

The upside to doing it this way is the computer still thinks the pair valve is working since it remains plugged into the harness. The valve still opens and closes on command from the ECU, but the ECU is unable to recognize that the valve isn't actually drawing fresh air anymore.

After I get the flashed ECU back, I will then remove the pair system altogether and install block off plates. It won't change anything from the way I have it now, but it will clean up the bike some more and drop a bit more weight by removing more unnecessary junk. So far, I've dropped about 15 pounds off the weight of the bike and still have another 10 pounds or so left of junk I'll be removing. When finished, I'll be a few pounds lighter than a stock GSX-R1000 of the same year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well done on the work and the insights into it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it all in regards to the sound as well as the Danos performance changes. Also, looking forward to a drive-off with a GoPro or similar. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well done on the work and the insights into it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it all in regards to the sound as well as the Danos performance changes. Also, looking forward to a drive-off with a GoPro or similar. :)
Appreciate it, brother. I'll let you know here if it reduces the pops and bangs on decel after I get time for a ride. And I'm still trying to find a buddy with a nice camera. Do you have a link to the video thread you mentioned?

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thank you.

Just went for an hour and a half long ride. With the pair valve blocked, there's no more large pops and bangs on decel and the decel "feels" smoother without them. The bike retained the low RPM "exhaust burble" when cruising at low speeds using part throttle, which I like. No FI light on the dash and no other problems or inconsistencies noticed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just went for another hour long blast down some country roads and noticed something I hadn't yet realized. Has anyone else noticed the midrange flat spot is lessened to the point that it's essentially nonexistent after removing the airbox restrictor and installing a decat pipe with an aftermarket slip-on, even prior to tuning/flashing the ECU?

I've owned and ridden many other bikes and never felt anything like this flat spot before. This is also the first bike I've owned with traction control, so when I first experienced the power dropping off so significantly in the midrange, I assumed it may have been the rear tire losing grip as power increased with RPM, and thought it was traction control engaging by cutting power. Then after some consideration and more playing around, I realized what it really was. It was a substantial dead spot where power drops off and/or levels out and then quickly picks up again after passing through that short RPM range. The bike was 100% stock at that time.

After removing the airbox restrictor plate and installing the decat pipe with the Akrapovic slip-on, I immediately noticed more power throughout the entire rev range, but only just realized after a couple hundred miles of riding and getting used to the additional noise that the flat spot seems to be lessened to the point that I can't even pick up on it anymore. This is without even having the flash performed yet.

After reading all the posts here from guys raving on about the riding experience prior to and post flashing, I'm really looking forward to how the bike will feel after the flash. I should have sent the ECU out to Dano by now, but I've been seriously procrastinating because I'm enjoying the bike so much more now that it sounds heavenly and can pull wheelies for days! Each performance mod has me feeling the need to work on my self control more and more in order to not end up losing my license while out on this bike! 🤣

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Oh, and as much as I like the bike after installing the decat, I lost all self control yesterday and couldn't stop myself from ordering a Lextek header from England. I can't find much info about this particular header for the GSXS, but it looks nice in their photos and it should mate up perfectly to the Akrapovic.

Already received a shipping confirmation from them, so hopefully I'll have it here soon. Will post pics once I receive it. In the meantime, if anyone has any information or personal experience with this exhaust, please do post about it here!

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,830 Posts
Oh, and as much as I like the bike after installing the decat, I lost all self control yesterday and couldn't stop myself from ordering a Lextek header from England. I can't find much info about this particular header for the GSXS, but it looks nice in their photos and it should mate up perfectly to the Akrapovic.

Already received a shipping confirmation from them, so hopefully I'll have it here soon. Will post pics once I receive it. In the meantime, if anyone has any information or personal experience with this exhaust, please do post about it here!
Known side effect of this forum is loss of self control, as quite a few of us find out. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts

Lol, what did I say over PM's about spending $ looking for that perfect exhaust sound? :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Lol, what did I say over PM's about spending $ looking for that perfect exhaust sound? :p
You know it! 😆

I'm gonna try the Lextek header out and see how it sounds. If it's too loud I may go back to the stock header with decat, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm really enjoying the additional sound so far, so I'm hoping for the same with the full system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ordered the Lextek exhaust on Sunday and it was delivered today. I'm very impressed with the shipping speed. From England to my doorstep in the States in four days! Looks like I've got a fun project for the weekend. Can't wait to hear the bike after I get the exhaust on.

Also got a set of CRG RC2 levers in today. I'll be installing them here in a few minutes. 😃

·
Registered
340 Posts
Someone's got the mod bug bad!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts