GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Someone's got the mod bug bad!
Can't help it, man. Gotta change the bike up to suit my desires! After getting the full exhaust up under there, I can only think of one other thing I want to do (at least that I have planned for now). Going to pull the wheels off and have them powdercoated gloss black. Not really digging the factory red/maroon color as they came. I thought they were growing on me, but I don't think it's going to happen. Should look better in black.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Got the CRG RC2 shorties on last night and I'm impressed with the build quality and feel. Very comfortable and well made levers. The positioning adjustments are about as positive as can be and the detents run on ball bearings. They're not cheap at over $200 per set, but I believe they're worth the asking price. They also allowed me to bring my clutch cable back into the best adjustment range. With the cheaper levers I had before, the cable and clutch functioned fine, but I was at the very end of my range of adjustment for the cable, even after adjusting the slack down at the engine.

Also just finished installing the Lextek header. It looks really nice having a full aftermarket system now with the Akrapovic topping it off at the end. Provides a seamless look compared to the factory exhaust with decat pipe. No more muffler box, exhaust valve and cables, or catalytic converter, and soon to be no more oxygen sensor once I get the flashed ECU back from Dano. This system also saves a considerable amount of weight over the factory exhaust and even more weight is gone after all the other stuff I mentioned above is removed.

Just want to ride a bit this weekend with the new system on to hear how it sounds. I'll go easy on it since I know the fueling will be very lean, but just from warming the bike up on the stand while checking for leaks, it sounds incredible.

For anyone considering this exhaust, I'll say that I'm very impressed by the overall quality and fitment of this header considering the very low price. It didn't include any instructions, but everything was pretty much self explanatory. It was shipped super fast and packaged nicely. The bends are smooth, the flanges mated to the cylinder head nicely, the slip joints all fit together perfectly, all the included hardware is stainless, and the welds look great. No slag or junk left behind inside the tubing at the weld joints like I've read some complain about with the Black Widow header. Even included a spring puller and good quality springs with Lextek branded high temp silicone sleeves installed on them to eliminate any chance of noise from the springs vibrating against the pipes.

I'll be completely removing the exhaust valve servo motor after the flash, but for now I removed it from under the bike, removed the large mounting bracket, and installed the little arm piece in place of the cables to trick the ECU into thinking its still working properly. Lextek included this cable bypass arm with the system. Instead of going through the headache of reinstalling it in place behind the rear shock, I simply removed the one zip tie holding the servo motor harness to the rear subframe and ran that harness (with it's two connectors) up under the seat next to the battery tray and zip tied the motor itself to the rear subframe under the passenger seat and plugged it back in. There's plenty of room there as the motor is small once separated from it's mounting bracket. This way the bike thinks it's still doing what it's supposed to be doing and it will make it a 60 second job to completely remove the motor once the flash is done.

Here's a few pics of the fully installed Lextek system:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those do look like quality headers for sure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Those do look like quality headers for sure.
I'd say so. I'm very happy with them and if these were gifted to me, would have assumed they were much more expensive than $260.

Something I noticed is that aside from the lack of crossover tubes between the runners on the Lextek's, they appear to be very similar in design to the Arrow headers. I don't have a set of Arrow's here to compare them to, but here's a pic of the Arrow and Lextek headers from the same angle showing the similarities.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hold on, you only paid $260!?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hold on, you only paid $260!?
I purchased them directly from Lextek for $260, but I also paid $80 in shipping. So technically it was $340 to get them to my door. The shipping wasn't cheap, but it's to be expected for a fairly large box being shipped from England to the United States, and I received them four days after ordering. Can't expect much better than that when dealing with international/overseas shipping.

Even after shipping costs, these were still $75-100 less than the other budget headers, such as Black Widow and Delkevic, so I'm very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
your going to love the Flash
Tell me about it, man! I'm out right now and just stopped for gas. Just cruising around trying not to be too hard on the bike. I'm sure it's running lean with the airbox plate removed and the new exhaust installed. Can't wait to ride after the flash and see how the bike responds!

I'll pull the ECU tonight and ship it out via overnight shipping tomorrow afternoon. Trying to minimize the wait time as much as possible! 🤣

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
ECU is out, boxed up, and will be on it's way to Dano's tomorrow! Also pulled the servo motor from it's temporary home in the tail of the bike and rerouted the harness back to where it was originally. Had the PAIR valve blocked off on both sides, but now just the airbox side is capped off and all the engine side PAIR components are completely removed in preparation for when the Driven block off plates arrive in a couple days. Also disconnected and removed the oxygen sensor and installed a stainless plug in the header. These items add up to another few pounds of weight off the bike. Less weight and more power after the mods and flash should make a nice combination. I plan on having the bike dyno'd at some point in the near future just to see what kind of power it's making and to get an idea of how the air/fuel ratio is throughout the RPM band after the flash.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I need to vent my frustration somewhere, so here it goes...

This may not come as a surprise to many of you, but USPS sucks massively. I paid those idiots $54 on Monday morning to overnight my ECU to Dano's for the flash, hoping that if he received it Tuesday he could perform the flash same day or next day (Wednesday) and get it on it's way back to me that much faster. Had USPS actually delivered on their promise, this would have shortened the amount of time the bike was down by a few days versus shipping it to him using a standard shipping option.
Tomorrow morning will make four days and it still hasn't been delivered. In fact, tracking shows that it hasn't even left my home state yet.

I had planned to ship it Monday afternoon via UPS overnight delivery because I've had good luck with this option in the past. While at the post office for another other work related matter that morning, I inquired about overnight shipping and the clerk there assured me that their next day shipping service was very reliable. I chose that option simply out of convenience being that I was already there and had the ECU packaged and ready to go in my vehicle. I don't mind one bit paying a premium for expedited service, but I expect to get what I paid for, or at least something close to it. I'm a fool for trusting USPS and knew I should have stuck with my original plan to ship through UPS.

Unbelievable. Paid for overnight shipping on Monday morning and here we are 30 minutes from the start of Friday and it still sits pretty much where I left it.

End of rant. 😡

·
Registered
37 Posts
I need to vent my frustration somewhere, so here it goes...

This may not come as a surprise to many of you, but USPS sucks massively. I paid those idiots $54 on Monday morning to overnight my ECU to Dano's for the flash, hoping that if he received it Tuesday he could perform the flash same day or next day (Wednesday) and get it on it's way back to me that much faster. Had USPS actually delivered on their promise, this would have shortened the amount of time the bike was down by a few days versus shipping it to him using a standard shipping option.
Tomorrow morning will make four days and it still hasn't been delivered. In fact, tracking shows that it hasn't even left my home state yet.

I had planned to ship it Monday afternoon via UPS overnight delivery because I've had good luck with this option in the past. While at the post office for another other work related matter that morning, I inquired about overnight shipping and the clerk there assured me that their next day shipping service was very reliable. I chose that option simply out of convenience being that I was already there and had the ECU packaged and ready to go in my vehicle. I don't mind one bit paying a premium for expedited service, but I expect to get what I paid for, or at least something close to it. I'm a fool for trusting USPS and knew I should have stuck with my original plan to ship through UPS.

Unbelievable. Paid for overnight shipping on Monday morning and here we are 30 minutes from the start of Friday and it still sits pretty much where I left it.

End of rant. 😡
I feel your pain man. USPS has lost 8 of my packages totaling a little over 12k in the past 7 months. I no long order from businesses that ship exclusively USPS.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I feel your pain man. USPS has lost 8 of my packages totaling a little over 12k in the past 7 months. I no long order from businesses that ship exclusively USPS.
That's terrible, man. There's exactly ZERO accountability with USPS and it sucks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
came across this photo - this is what longer secondaries look like. Completely cured the 5,000 rpm dip. Almost worth buying a Lextec header, take it to a muffler shop and try to copy this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
came across this photo - this is what longer secondaries look like. Completely cured the 5,000 rpm dip. Almost worth buying a Lextec header, take it to a muffler shop and try to copy this.

View attachment 45893
Yes, I'm aware of the longer secondaries helping with the midrange flat spot. And modifying the Lextek header is actually a great idea for anyone looking to boost midrange power. They're certainly cheap enough and with another $100 or so worth of work they could be a great option. They also fit the factory slip-on, as well as any other slip-on offered for our bikes.

I thought about removing the Lextek header and adding crossover tubes to the head pipes like the factory and Arrow headers have. The Lextek's sound great at low and high RPM, but they do sound different at a certain midrange RPM. They don't sound bad, just different. I'm assuming this difference in midrange sound is because they don't have the crossover tubes connecting cylinders 1-4 and 2-3, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Just received the Driven Racing PAIR block off plates. Got the plates installed and the PAIR valve reeds, solenoid, and hoses removed. This freed up more space and cleaned up the look under the airbox. Had to remove the reeds from the two factory PAIR valves because the screws protrude up through the bottom and prevent the block off plates seating flush. Install was super easy and only took about 20 minutes, including removing the lower half of the airbox from the throttle bodies. Very simple installation. Here's a couple pictures of the finished product. The block offs are the two black plates at the top of the valve cover.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts