GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New to GSX-S and therefore this forum!

Looking to fit an alarm, needs to be thatcham 1 approved (and fitted). Anyone fitted 1 that works ok, doesn't go off all the time or drain the sh!t out of the battery?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Had the Scorpio on a previous bike and it strained the battery. Now I have an abus front wheel lock alarm. Read a bunch of reviews on the wheel locks and this is the only one that doesn't go off randomly and isn't weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've had a datatool s4 on the fireblade, it was ok.
One thing I wasn't overly impressed with was it had to be wacked hard for it to acknowledge movement, this unsettled me a bit tbh as you had to stand the bike up straight before it went off or thrash the seat hard.
I always keep my bike on a charger so can't comment on battery.

I've just bought a spy 5000m for the gsx, see how that goes. I won't be wiring in remote start or immobiliser just using the movement and proximity sensor to warn me, my almax 19mm chain and abloy 362 lock will give me enough time pull out the Mrs, tool up and beat them to death!

I've got 4 alarm disc locks for my 2 bikes and none of them go off randomly. Just don't leave them dangling on windy days.
1 x Oxford
2 x ebay £5 ones
1 x Motax

I'm most impressed with the cheap ebay ones, battery is the original (4years old) and is really sensitive but not overly. Loud as ****. Sure the lock part won't be up to much but by the time they try to cut it or pick/break it they are already screaming like a goodun.

The datatool didn't make any difference to my insurance premium, something like £2 iirc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doddy666, I'm going to compare insurance quotes with vs without once I have chosen one, I have been advised that the Datatool one is supposed to be a good one?

Was also contemplating a Trakking instead, but monthly payments needs to be worth it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The way I look at it is once they have my bike I don't want it back.
Alarms are good but don't stop them stealing it on their own, they just notify you and others. Nothing will stop them if they really want it unfortunately.

The best anyone can do is
Keep it in a locked garage or shed
The biggest and strongest lock and chain you can get on a ground anchor
Alarm
Disc locks
Insurance
Cctv
Garage and house alarm
A big mean dog

I live in a rough area and had one attempted bike theft when I was on nights at 4am. They dragged the bike away from the garage wall saw the almax chain then used my tools to try and break the back door to get the keys, the tools they had would never have cut my chain.
I have the best security I can possibly do now, bar taking it to bed with me I can't do anymore. However if I make it as hard as possible they will move on and not bother with mine.

Datatool s4 alarm was good and reliable
Meta 357T v2 gets good reviews
As do the cyclone alarms (this one does nail battery's though)
Spy 5000m
Datatool evo plus

I have found people only jump on the Internet to moan about them if they go wrong, hardly any do that when there working.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have just renewed my insurance and have no security devices for £120 which would have only been reduced by £10 however many security measures i had taken. For me living in Devon it makes sense to pay more to the insutance company than spend a small fortune on locks and chains.
But yes again i am lucky to live where i do

·
Registered
538 Posts
Have just renewed my insurance and have no security devices for £120 which would have only been reduced by £10 however many security measures i had taken. For me living in Devon it makes sense to pay more to the insutance company than spend a small fortune on locks and chains.
But yes again i am lucky to live where i do
You can get robbed anywhere.
If you made a claim it would cost a lot of money in the long run, more than all my security cost me. Good locks and chains always have a good resale value.
It doesn't make sense to me to buy anything expensive and not secure it at all, easy pickings for the scum bags.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mine came with Data tool already fitted but I'm still a fan of a gert big chain.
If I'm leaving it in town I'd rather the chain was on display and maybe the thieving scum fraternity will pick on the bike next to me which doesn't.
Some chains are approved so you can still get a bit off your insurance too
:nerd:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had the Scorpio on a previous bike and it strained the battery. Now I have an abus front wheel lock alarm. Read a bunch of reviews on the wheel locks and this is the only one that doesn't go off randomly and isn't weak.

I know I'm reviving an old thread here but may I ask which Abus disc lock alarm you are talking about? I'm about to invest in some loud security (in addition to others) and worried that the Abus Graniut Detecto Xplus 8077 I'm eyeing (https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng...red/motorcycle-locks-disc-alarm-disc-3d-alarm) might not fit the front or rear wheel of the GSX-S. The local distributors do not keep it in stock, so it's a hassle to try for a fit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know I'm reviving an old thread here but may I ask which Abus disc lock alarm you are talking about? I'm about to invest in some loud security (in addition to others) and worried that the Abus Graniut Detecto Xplus 8077 I'm eyeing (https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng...red/motorcycle-locks-disc-alarm-disc-3d-alarm) might not fit the front or rear wheel of the GSX-S. The local distributors do not keep it in stock, so it's a hassle to try for a fit.
Bring up the old anytime :)

been using this for 2 years and it never had a false alarm or any issues. Replaced batteries only once.

Abus Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Brake Disc Lock with 3D Position Detection, Security Level 18, Colour Yellow, 190025
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J947308/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

do i recommend it? F yes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bring up the old anytime :)

been using this for 2 years and it never had a false alarm or any issues. Replaced batteries only once.

Abus Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Alarm Brake Disc Lock with 3D Position Detection, Security Level 18, Colour Yellow, 190025
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J947308/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

do i recommend it? F yes!
Oh, the exact same model, great! Thank you very much, it gives me peace of mind when ordering it. Such a bike deserves only the best lock out there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Oh, the exact same model, great! Thank you very much, it gives me peace of mind when ordering it. Such a bike deserves only the best lock out there.

Glad to help. I’ll always spend a good amount on protection for myself and the bike. Regardless of the bike. That feeling when you go to the garage and there’s no bike there! I don’t know what feeling is but I hear it’s horrible. Don’t plan on finding out :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just bought the 8077. Found it new on ebay for $125. It fits both front and back wheel.
You can get a second one with the same key and have one key for both.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts