GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just waiting for my Gixxus to arrive. So far the ETA is late September or early October. Long wait but it'll be worth it!

I could have avoided the wait if I picked a Matte Grey bike, but I'd rather wait for the blue.

Based in Brisbane, so when the bike finally arrives, I'll be doing track days on it after I get a slide kit installed on it!

I'm a little disapointed by the insurance price though. It came in at $1200/year (AUD), when my last naked bike was $600/year. The price is actually the same as the GSX-R1000, which is totally dumb.

Anyway, hoping the bike arrives super early, otherwise I'll be bikeless until it arrives! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
$1200 is a bit pricey, did you get a few quotes?
It's a lot more competitive these days compared to a few years ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
welcome to the qld/brisbane gixxus club

i to am looking for frame sliders but cant fine ones i like that suit the bike

i dont want the normal knob type but finding others is tough

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome mate. I'm going to be paying about $1400 for insurance through QBE, they were the best priced for me at the time I got the quote.

You guys are lucky having 2 tracks and nice roads so close by :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like matdaddy said, welcome to the Qld/Brisbane Gixxus club...

That's a bit steep on the insurance, how old are you? I'm 31 & best price (& only one for that matter) was from Insure My Ride for A$839.96 w/$1250 excess... Obviously you can reduce the excess but pay more on insurance...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all,

First up, I'm 34, clean riding/licence record, and the cheapest I can get insurance is through Insure My Ride/Swann, and it's $1100-1200. I'm rating 1, and it's still stupid expensive. Insurance changes based on where you live, and other various things they like to use to rip you off.

Second, Suzuki are releasing engine casings but when I contacted them they dont' have a release date. I hate the knobby sliders too, and usually dig into the road and cause more damage to the bike. I'll probably be getting R&G or something from Brisbane Motocycles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First up, I'm 34, clean riding/licence record, and the cheapest I can get insurance is through Insure My Ride/Swann, and it's $1100-1200. I'm rating 1, and it's still stupid expensive. Insurance changes based on where you live, and other various things they like to use to rip you off.

I understand that prices may vary depending on where you live, but that's ridiculous!! High crime area? Insure my ride seems to be the cheapest I've found, let alone the only one which actually has the GSXS1000 on record at the moment.. I'll keep looking though

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just tested it $794.41 with $400 excess with Insure my ride. Guess being in your 40's has its benefits :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
[...]but I'd rather wait for the blue.
Great choice :)

Based in Brisbane, so when the bike finally arrives, I'll be doing track days on it after I get a slide kit installed on it!
If I can give you an advice, be careful with slide kit on track, especially with crash pads mounted laterally because, in case of slip and fall with consequent collision with track curb, it's possible to make more damage than without them

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome! ****, that's a long wait. They won't give me a time 😐 hope it's not that long!

If I can give you an advice, be careful with slide kit on track, especially with crash pads mounted laterally because, in case of slip and fall with consequent collision with track curb, it's possible to make more damage than without them
Jeebus. Would the evotech kit fall into that category?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome! ****, that's a long wait. They won't give me a time 😐 hope it's not that long!

Jeebus. Would the evotech kit fall into that category?
(Little O.T.: the first word "Jeebus" is like say "Jeesus"? I'm sorry but I don't know the american slang :) )

However, is not a problem due to worst or better brand. Try to think how and where the protections are connected to your bike: engine and frame...
Is better change a part of motorcycle hulls than change an engine... Is true that the protections are made to break at the right moment...before engine and frame.... but.... I'm skeptical :)
I have two friends that run only on track and they never mounted that protection.

But sincerly we have to think at another problem: our type of motorcycle has not hulls that protect the parts of engine who are exposed...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So jealous of you guys getting insurance for under a grand :| My last naked bike was $600 :(

Thanks for the advice Carpmanu, I'll talk to the guys again and see what they recommend. I was told to avoid the knobby style as they make the bike dig into the road and jump. I don't intend on dropping the bike so ideally I won't need any slide/drop protection!

Back to insurance, QBE, Insure my Ride, Swann were all over $1100-1200. Totally stupid seeing as my record/history is really good, held my opens for over 10 years... The area I live in is low crime area, especially compared to the rest of Brisbane :(

*sigh*

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was told to avoid the knobby style as they make the bike dig into the road and jump. I don't intend on dropping the bike so ideally I won't need any slide/drop protection!
As I've said in my presentation topic , my girlfriend gave me these Crashpads GSG Mototecnick Streetline Crashpads ;)
They are really beautiful and seem born with our motorcycle. Also, in my opinion, the double attack is a great way to distribute power during the fall. The kit comes complete with screws and spacers (differents measurements, be careful!).
I've mounted those crashpads with a torque wrench of 55Nm and the the Suzuki mechanic told me that I did a good job.
These crashpads have no style knotty and might be what you're looking for;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Insurance update: Swann Insurance now have the GSX-S1000 listed, and their price is HEAPS cheaper than everyone else! Competition were $1200 and over, Swann came in at $750... So glad I didn't get ripped from the others :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts