GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No great shakes in power or torque. Main focus for the 3 hours was to clean up the fueling which has been done very nicely. I wanted rideability first, I could have gotten more power/torque with more time spent, just spent my 3 hours getting fueling right.

Biggest issue with any dyno run is the stoopid Cat and associated junk in the exhaust, hard to get a consistent reading from the exhaust.

After the 3 hours I have one residual issue, a slight cut in fueling at 3,100 rpm on decel. I have a habit of using engine braking so I come across this spot often. Not a huge issue, not even a minor issue really, but the perfectionist in me will be annoyed.

On the positive it will rev cleanly from idle to 10,000 rpm without a blip. Interestingly the idle has smoothed, when it was started after the job the first thing I noticed was the nice even idle. No more sounding like a lumpy cam :)

Went for a ride this morning on a road with a few nice corners, up and down hill and a couple of open straights. Did 4 laps of the 15km road and by the end I had a decent grin up.

Asked the shop for a quote on Yoshi headers, if I don't need to sell too many internal organs that might be the next step. All in the pursuit of perfect fueling.... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
No great shakes in power or torque. Main focus for the 3 hours was to clean up the fueling which has been done very nicely. I wanted rideability first, I could have gotten more power/torque with more time spent, just spent my 3 hours getting fueling right.

Biggest issue with any dyno run is the stoopid Cat and associated junk in the exhaust, hard to get a consistent reading from the exhaust.

After the 3 hours I have one residual issue, a slight cut in fueling at 3,100 rpm on decel. I have a habit of using engine braking so I come across this spot often. Not a huge issue, not even a minor issue really, but the perfectionist in me will be annoyed.

On the positive it will rev cleanly from idle to 10,000 rpm without a blip. Interestingly the idle has smoothed, when it was started after the job the first thing I noticed was the nice even idle. No more sounding like a lumpy cam :)

Went for a ride this morning on a road with a few nice corners, up and down hill and a couple of open straights. Did 4 laps of the 15km road and by the end I had a decent grin up.

Asked the shop for a quote on Yoshi headers, if I don't need to sell too many internal organs that might be the next step. All in the pursuit of perfect fueling.... :(
Yup, you seemed to have dipped out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re Dyno with K&N and Yoshi full system

following the first dyno the fueling still wasn't great below 3,000 rpm so I bit the bullet and fitted a K&N and full Yoshi system

Final result is a smidge under 141 hp and 74 ft lb. Stock bike (pre first dyno) was 128 hp and 67 ft lb.

This trace shows the change from dyno 1 with stock everything to dyno 2 with K&N and yoshi.

Not a huge gain in top power and torque but nice gains in the midrange where I can actually use it. Very smooth from idle, accelerates nicely, no blips, can hold 3,000 rpm in 3rd with no problems - even with only one hand on the bars.

Decel under 3,200 sounds bl#@dy terrible but at least no dead spot at 3,100.

Even if it sounds horrible (to me) trundling around town at low revs, at least it's smooth :)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts