GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There hasn't been any type of a redesign since the bike came out nearly five years ago, just color changes. No attention paid to the bike's few shortcomings we'd like to see addressed.

I hope to see a nice refresh for 2021. If they want to compete, I'd like to see cruise control, quick-shifter, better suspension, LED lighting all around, single headlight on the F model, MUCH better ECU tuning (yes, it can be done), lean-angle ABS would be nice.

Kawasaki added a lot of this to their 2020 Ninja 1000SX and put out a nice bike for $12,400.

I'd sure like to see Suzuki surprise us for next year.... or maybe it will be same ole. I left the GSXS fold for a KTM SD GT. It's a beast and fun to ride, but I am not loving the big V-Twin and miss the utter smoothness of that K5 motor. Suspension, brakes and fueling are outstanding.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If Kawasaki can fit the same bright TFT screen to most of their models, Suzuki can do better than what's on the GSX-S and SV's series.
The one on the Katana should be kept for that one. Green on black -who thought of that ? Someone from Honda ???

We all would like a better suspension option, like from the GSX-R 1000.
Any price rise should be no more than what an aftermarket upgrade costs, and really should be less at Factory costs, but adds profit as they won't, so why not Mr Suzuki San ?.

The F needs a remake to the nose and screen height. The face of the Naked needs a make over.
I'd like to see a round headlight as in a classic 1980's GSX 1100 look.

Thanks Santa, I've been good this year. (Actually not, since the bike fell over in the Garage a while ago).:rolleyes:

Rob.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'd be happy if it inherited the same changes as the new Vstrom 1050.
Ride by wire, cruise control, 6 axis IMU with lean sensitive traction control, LED lights and a nice LED display.
If they can apply all that to the Vtwin engine they have had for years then surely it's possible for the GSX-S.
If not then i'll be in the market for a Vstrom next time around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is what I'd like to see....
Better instrument cluster. Currently a joke.
Taller transmission gearing. It's geared like a 600. 5th and 6th need to be taller.
I'd like to see adjustable rear sets. Knees cramp up on longer rides.
The nose needs to be shaped so it doesn't look like a Burgman.
USB power port to keep phone charged.
I think the mirrors and windscreen need to be changed or moved for better aerodynamics. I get buffeting and I think it's because of the mirrors.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Taller transmission gearing. It's geared like a 600. 5th and 6th need to be taller.
I think the mirrors and windscreen need to be changed or moved for better aerodynamics. I get buffeting and I think it's because of the mirrors.
Most of the things you listed are relatively cheap and easy mods. Not exactly screaming for a design change.

·
Registered
532 Posts
LInstrument and taller 5th & 6th gears are certainly not though, not something you can do in an afternoon on the drive anyway.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what Suzuki do in the future I won't be buying one. This bike is the least reliable bike I've owned, coupled with the fueling, suspension and soft paint. The money it takes to make this bike as good as the others makes it about the same price, plus I then have to mess about when I buy it and then revert it back when I sell it.
No thanks suzuki

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
If Kawasaki can fit the same bright TFT screen to most of their models, Suzuki can do better than what's on the GSX-S and SV's series.
The one on the Katana should be kept for that one. Green on black -who thought of that ? Someone from Honda ???

We all would like a better suspension option, like from the GSX-R 1000.
Any price rise should be no more than what an aftermarket upgrade costs, and really should be less at Factory costs, but adds profit as they won't, so why not Mr Suzuki San ?.

The F needs a remake to the nose and screen height. The face of the Naked needs a make over.
I'd like to see a round headlight as in a classic 1980's GSX 1100 look.

Thanks Santa, I've been good this year. (Actually not, since the bike fell over in the Garage a while ago).:rolleyes:

Rob.
As I remember it a 1980s GSX1100 had a square headlight ??

·
Registered
584 Posts
My wish list is short - Give me the GSX-R1000 with lower pegs and the current GSX-S1000 handlebars, retune engine for mid-range power/torque (like current GSX-S1K), and call it "GOOD". That gets me everything on my wish list (which begins and ends with BETTER SUSPENSION!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most of the things you listed are relatively cheap and easy mods. Not exactly screaming for a design change.
Relatively easy mods????

Make 5th and 6th taller but keep 1 through 4 as is.

Re-shape the nose so it don't look like a Burgmann.

Find an aftermarket TFT instrument dash and see how easy it is to hook up.

I've always felt that mirrors on the front fairing would be a good idea. Just like the GSXR. The GSXR's have them there for a reason....aerodynamics.

I've installed a dual USB power port. One to charge my phone and the other for my GPS that I stuck under the windscreen. Took me about 2.5 hrs.

Ya. Such easy mods.

Send me $500+ rear-sets and I'll tell you how they work out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd be happy if it inherited the same changes as the new Vstrom 1050.
Ride by wire, cruise control, 6 axis IMU with lean sensitive traction control, LED lights and a nice LED display.
If they can apply all that to the Vtwin engine they have had for years then surely it's possible for the GSX-S.
If not then i'll be in the market for a Vstrom next time around.
Cain, $22+ K +ORC for the XT dearer version. The road wheeled base gets a good reduction in the fruit you mentioned.
Not a LED, but a LCD display as per the GSXS.
Available August 2020.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As I remember it a 1980s GSX1100 had a square headlight ??
Caught me there, Goon.
I do like a round lamp, like in the CB1100RS and the Z900RS.
Suzuki could so easily make it, just use the lamp and housing from the old GS500 like the also used on the Bandit Naked.

Rob.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Relatively easy mods????

Make 5th and 6th taller but keep 1 through 4 as is.

Re-shape the nose so it don't look like a Burgmann.

Find an aftermarket TFT instrument dash and see how easy it is to hook up.

I've always felt that mirrors on the front fairing would be a good idea. Just like the GSXR. The GSXR's have them there for a reason....aerodynamics.

I've installed a dual USB power port. One to charge my phone and the other for my GPS that I stuck under the windscreen. Took me about 2.5 hrs.

Ya. Such easy mods.

Send me $500+ rear-sets and I'll tell you how they work out.
Looks are subjective. All the rest is easy if you're decent with tools. Either you don't like wrenching or spending money.
2.5hrs to install a usb is rough. Keep trying bud, you'll get there :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
LED Lighting upgrade , improved TFT display (all other bikes are getting tablet type displays)

USB power can be added so easily , i was amazed at how easy it is to get the headlight off , there's a power outlet ready for USB implementation

taller gears? really. i hit 160mph & was only at 9000rpm how far do you want to go 😂

I've dropped a tooth at the front & can still hit licence losing speeds which since my reckless escapade i have no interest in repeating!

I'd like to see a change in the headlight design to this (less owl 🦉 like for the naked & scooter 🛵 like for the faired)

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
LED Lighting upgrade , improved TFT display (all other bikes are getting tablet type displays)

USB power can be added so easily , i was amazed at how easy it is to get the headlight off , there's a power outlet ready for USB implementation

taller gears? really. i hit 160mph & was only at 9000rpm how far do you want to go

I've dropped a tooth at the front & can still hit licence losing speeds which since my reckless escapade i have no interest in repeating!

I'd like to see a change in the headlight design to this (less owl like for the naked & scooter like for the faired)
You really think taller gears is so we can hit higher top speeds

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm not sure Suzuki is known for dramatic changes. Frankly what made me want this bike was fantastic value for the level of performance. If they essentially made it an R with flat bars it'd be competing with the likes of the BMW and be losing and the complainers would still be complaining.
Personally I enjoy the fact that it's a basic, modern bike without do-dads.
But I'm pretty unlikely to buy a newer version no matter so do what you like Suzuki.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey @Beerded Wanderer I do like that this bike doesn't have different "modes" to switch between. I also like that it does NOT have ride-by-wire control. Those things appealed to me when considering this bike.

As for improvements, I like the idea of lean-angle sensitive ABS on any new model. That would be a plus. The rear shock is the biggest "weak link" on this bike. They need to fit something better. It can't possibly add that much to the cost.

My absolute biggest gripe with the current model? THE HIGH BEAM SWITCH! I go to hit the high beams and...switch what is displayed on the dash instead. For the love of God Suzuki, WHY!?! Don't mess with the location of things. I've been riding since 1987. The high beam switch has always been in one location in all that time. But NOOOO...Suzuki had to relocate it. I hate it. Fix it. Put it back where it belongs. Put the toggle for the dash up by the dash.

·
Registered
262 Posts

The 1980 Gsx1100, a bike so hideously ugly no wonder people loved the oddball Katana when it was released.

·
Registered
33 Posts

taller gears? really. i hit 160mph & was only at 9000rpm how far do you want to go 😂

I'd like to see a change in the headlight design to this (less owl 🦉 like for the naked & scooter 🛵 like for the faired)

When you dropped a tooth off of the front sprocket it changed the gearing for all your gears. 1st thru 6th is now taller.
What I'm suggesting is leaving 1st thru 4th as is and making 5th & 6th taller.
There's a big difference in what you did and what I'm suggesting.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts