GSXS 1000 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Says you? I find it useful and I've been riding since the early 70's (bought my 850 Norton Commando new, with a 350 Ducati as trade-in).
Obviously, I said it.... just because someone has had a licence half a century doesn't mean they can ride or drive, I stand by my comment.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Suzuki are not likely to upgrade the bike any time soon. It does it’s job and still have it’s niche in the market (imo). The gsxs pulls more and is sportier than the kawi from all I hear. I don’t think I would be any happier with the kawi. The kawi was older and more obsolete b4 its upgrade than the gsxs currently is. I would personally not trade that for goodies that could be upgraded ‘easily’. It’s easier to change the back shock than add 20-25 hp, save weight and the bike overall handling characteristic. I don’t think suzuki upgrade their bike too often either (due to cost) and they just released the katana not too long ago. They are relatively popular but probably not as much as suzuki had planned. They’ll just want to squeeze value from the existing bikes.

But I agree it would be nice to see upgrades from suz, I just don’t hold my breath waiting for it. It was quite interresting reading to see what everyone would upgrade, but if your list has 20 items, honestly, make yourself a favour and trade in the bike!!

Personally, the back shock upgrade would be # 1. I think I like the abs on leaning angle idea (for safety). Although I would also like to be able to turn abs off sometimes. Usb would be nice. Better paint would be appreciated. But no show stopper for me, the back shock could be replaced by the owner. True the fairing is more complicated than necessary to remove. Besides, no other bike would meet my needs, even to this date. Closest fit is the tuono but there are still cons: price, 0 cargo space, less wind protection/aerodynamics (fairing), look slightly too flashy (for me anyways). Hearing mixed info on reliability. Mods likely more expansive. Impressive electronics though (in theory).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
if your list has 20 items, honestly, make yourself a favour and trade in the bike!!
It was a wish list, I like the GSXS , it suits me and I plan to keep it for a long time. After trying many bikes from a Tracer 700 (great road bike) up to the awesome ZZR1400 I see nothing in the market matches its cost, performance and fun ratio.

Slowly going through the wish list on my bike with better screen, 12v & USB outlets, Satnav & phone mounts, tankbag & Blaze panniers.
Nitron shock, decat headers and reflash to go on at next service. Looking for a headlight to mod into twin H4 headlight with DRLs reworked to combined indicators

Reactions: danGTS

·
Registered
446 Posts
Says you? I find it useful and I've been riding since the early 70's (bought my 850 Norton Commando new, with a 350 Ducati as trade-in).
It brought back a lot of memories when I read your post
Mate it brought back a lot of memories when I read you post just now.
My brother was always talking about getting a 850 Norton back in the 70s I remember the add in the bike magazine and I think that I still have that magazine packed away somewhere.
But I reckon he was more in love with the model in the jump suit than the bike LOL...

·
Registered
339 Posts
It brought back a lot of memories when I read your post

Mate it brought back a lot of memories when I read you post just now.
My brother was always talking about getting a 850 Norton back in the 70s I remember the add in the bike magazine and I think that I still have that magazine packed away somewhere.
But I reckon he was more in love with the model in the jump suit than the bike LOL...
Yeah, the "Norton Girls" sold more than a few bikes. My favorite was the redhead.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have not done any modifications to my GSXS1000 except to install a radiator grille guard. I only have put like 1,000 miles and is under warranty, I don't want to mess with the bike and give an excuse to the dealer not to help me in case I have a problem with the bike. However, I want to decat the bike and replace the rear shock and maybe getting a corbin seat.

It seems that doing these modifications will improve the bike, but sometimes in the attempt of making things better one may ruin things. These upgrades would be an expense of about $3K. Is it really worth it? And, just for FWY ridding occasionally?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had mine a year now and made a few changes. Rear shock- well worth doing if you get a replacement for a decent price, calms down the bouncy rear end. Exhaust- mainly cosmetic for myself, removed the turkey tray with a link pipe and fitted an Arrow rear can. Luggage- removed the pillion seat option and replaced with a top box plate. Remap- going in next week for remapping to smooth out the jerky 2-4000 urban riding. All together costs about £1200. In my late 50s now and not looking to change to another bike unless this one lets me down significantly. Have had 20 bikes over the years with 10 of them Suzuki. What you get with Suzuki is reliability, good performance and great value for money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had mine a year now and made a few changes. Rear shock- well worth doing if you get a replacement for a decent price, calms down the bouncy rear end. Exhaust- mainly cosmetic for myself, removed the turkey tray with a link pipe and fitted an Arrow rear can. Luggage- removed the pillion seat option and replaced with a top box plate. Remap- going in next week for remapping to smooth out the jerky 2-4000 urban riding. All together costs about £1200. In my late 50s now and not looking to change to another bike unless this one lets me down significantly. Have had 20 bikes over the years with 10 of them Suzuki. What you get with Suzuki is reliability, good performance and great value for money.
This is great! Please report back how the bike performs after the remapping. Some questions if you don't mind:
1-) Is it louder now without the cat?
2-) How is the MPG after you decat, better or worse?
3-) Does it have even more power now without the cat?
4-) Would it have more longevity and reliability doing these modifications? Thanks.

I'm over 50 also and feel better than ever, as a matter in fact, I think that my life started at 50, no more crying babies, no debts (no house payments), not slaved to a woman, not drinking, not smoking, no drugs (except good coffee), tons of life experience (I wish I had when I was 18), no pain, more time for myself to listening to my home stereo, playing with my PC, doing photography, playing my hand made Spanish guitar and I can even ride a bike for commuting and have so much fun. It cannot get better than that :p

Oh, I'm in the process of making an Italian oven to make home pizza and other goodies.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I put it in 1st then released the clutch to the friction zone and felt the bike start to pull me forward slightly. Is that all the low rpm assist is? I thought every bike did that? Or does our bike just do it with a little extra throttle?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you pull your clutch to the grip your rpm should be about 1k on full warm 3bars. When you begin to let out before you really get any engagement the rpm should climb to 1250 or something. That's the assist.
EDIT: in gear I'm taking about of course

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you have after market levers it might not work, just depends if the switch is operated correctly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
John 2019- yes the bike is louder now but not stupidly loud or I wouldnt have done it. Only removed the loose part of the cat- one half stayed there as did the motorised valve, which greatly reduces the popping and banging on overrun and general loudness on part throttle so urban riding is not too loud at all. MPG- no difference noticed, still 50+. Power seems little different if any and I cant see why it would adversely affect general reliability.

·
Registered
285 Posts
John 2019- yes the bike is louder now but not stupidly loud or I wouldnt have done it. Only removed the loose part of the cat- one half stayed there as did the motorised valve, which greatly reduces the popping and banging on overrun and general loudness on part throttle so urban riding is not too loud at all. MPG- no difference noticed, still 50+. Power seems little different if any and I cant see why it would adversely affect general reliability.
Thanks for answering! That's great. I want to get the link pipes but I have not found an affordable place here in the States. There is a place in Bedford, England that sells it for $376.99 but I don't like to purchase stuff from over seas.

Do you guys know who sell these link pipes here in the states but in the range of $300 ~ $400?
GSXS 1000 F S X Exhaust De Cat Header Headers Race Pipes Manifold 2016 - 2020 | eBay

·
Registered
265 Posts
No idea, but you can get a full M4 system, can, exhaust servo eliminator and headers for mis $700's.
All depends upon what he wants and local legislation/testing regarding noise/emissions. I kept the cat and valve in case regulations here in the UK tighten up in future which I am sure they will.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
well get use to it im old.....i feel the same way, i hear the same over and over also....making the generic unique i dont know about that .. if bolting on crap parts from china and changing sprockets is unique......id suggest just putting a dynojet sticker on the swing arm
why crap parts from China & not quality parts from Italy, Germany , Scandinavia , Austria etc? As for dynojetting if someone chooses too why copy & paste your cardboard-cutout ready-to-go phrase Everytime ; actually thoroughly amusing to be honest

61 - 80 of 82 Posts