GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after bringing my new bike home cos of the **** weather and work commitments i cant ride it for a week or two, would you run it now and again for 10 odd mins or not start it at all

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would not start it at all. It probably makes little, or no difference, but theres nothing to be gained by letting it repeatedly get hot and cold. Consider running a fuel stabilizer through it, then leave it alone.

You have a battery tender, right?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Due to the fact it's a new bike and needs running in with load and un-load on the engine through all gears up to but not exceeding 6K revs for the first 600 miles, then I personally wouldn't fire it up and leave it idling for 10 mins here and there, this may not be good for your engine. Leaving it sitting for a week or 2 until you can ride it properly is the better option in my (non professional) view. You could connect to a battery tender if your worried about loosing charge, but i've left mine sitting for over a fortnight whilst on holiday and she fired up first stab upon our return.

·
Registered
110 Posts
after bringing my new bike home cos of the **** weather and work commitments i cant ride it for a week or two, would you run it now and again for 10 odd mins or not start it at all
Know what you mean about the weather. Personally I've never had a problem leaving a bike un-ridden for 2 weeks. I was told years ago by a mechanic that short start-ups/runs are not good for an engine, don't know if this is true for a modern engine but it's kind of stuck with me! Also I think a modern fully charged battery should be fine for a couple of weeks no problem. I'm sure people who are more knowledgeable than me will be along soon:)

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,965 Posts
Leave it alone, just look at it and if you want, give it a little fondle with a polishing cloth.

Reactions: lumberjack

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always fire up my bikes after sitting for a bit. I do it to circulate the oil and to circulate the coolant. If possible Ill run it down the road or on a stand to move the trans around too. My personal preference to keep the inside covered with oil and to keep the fuel in the lines from sitting to long. No professional data to back this up, just what I do. I also used the battery tender before I replaced all my batteries with lithium.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Won't hurt it to sit for a couple of weeks. Since you are in the breakin period, best to ride it with a load on the engine the next time out. I have left my previous bike on the stands in the garage on the battery tender for weeks when the weather was bad. I used that time to detail her for the day the weather turned nice.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I sympathize with you. Cannot be fun having a new bike sit there and you cannot ride it. Not sure what is the best, whether to periodically start it or just let it sit there. Maybe you should invest in something like "Optimate" to keep the battery charged, especially with the cold weather. I would possibly also use the time to give it a good polish to add a protective layer to the paint work for when it is ready to see the sun.;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
When a bike is new one of the most important things to do is to bed in the rings. This can only be done when the engine is under load. Allowing the engine to just tick over will not bed in the rings and in fact will increase the glazing on the boars thus reducing the chances of getting a good seal in the future. Allowing the bike to sit for a few weeks will have no effect at all on the engine. If it is to be left for a few weeks it is advisable to put the battery on a tender esp. if the reason is due to cold weather.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My bike had sat since the 28th of december. Checked the tyre pressures and adjusted accordingly took it out the garage and started her up .let her run for 5 mins whilst I got helemt and gloves on the took her out for a woopin.
So sitting for a week or two wont harm it much just remeber to check your tyre pressures as mine had dropped 5-6 psi and that was sitting with both wheels off the ground.

Reactions: lumberjack

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bikes sit for months and months and dealerships sometimes before they sell, some a year or more. Won't hurt it a bit.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. If anything, the only thing you might want to do is put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts