GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 CB1000R. Looking to pick up a GSXS 1000. Hard to get test rides on new bikes. I am concerned about all the talk about throttle response. The throttle is silky smooth on my CB. Those who have had a CB and went to a GSXS, How do they compare. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Never rode a cb1000r, but have owned several bikes. The throttle response in my opinion is not an issues at all. Ill call it crisp, but def not a problem. Ride a FZ09 in A mode, thats throttle issues right there.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The throttle has been fixed so don't worry about it.
Check with your dealer and find out what the VIN number is. If it's a later production model it wont be an issue. It'll just be a bit more powerful with quicker pick up and better handling:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had 4 very enjoyable years with my '11 CB1000R before trading 'up' to the GSX-S1000F. The GSX-S is what the CB should be like if Honda had bothered to move with the times... For me, the GSX-S has all what the CB gave me, plus more and I'm very pleased with my decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The throttle has been fixed so don't worry about it.
Check with your dealer and find out what the VIN number is. If it's a later production model it wont be an issue. It'll just be a bit more powerful with quicker pick up and better handling:D
Most of the bikes I am seeing here in the US are early production bikes. What date or vin should I be ok with. Thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a bike that was fresh out of the crate (USA) this week. I only put on a few miles yesterday but I don't seem to have the throttle issues or at least it's no worse than the FZ-07 that I had previously.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Most of the bikes I am seeing here in the US are early production bikes. What date or vin should I be ok with. Thank you!
Diddn't realise you are in the States. This is what's been circulating
This is the Tech Bulletin. MT0012. Units built after Feb 2016 should be alright.
It also shows the part number for the ECU so if the dealer doesn't have access to the Bulletin they can just check that on the bike instead the one with the 31 at the end as opposed to the 30 is the number to check for.

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-troubleshooting/27682-suzuki-listening-13.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had 4 very enjoyable years with my '11 CB1000R before trading 'up' to the GSX-S1000F. The GSX-S is what the CB should be like if Honda had bothered to move with the times... For me, the GSX-S has all what the CB gave me, plus more and I'm very pleased with my decision.
How does the down low power compare between the two bikes. Say below 4K. I know the Honda is good in that range. Thank you!

·
Registered
593 Posts
How does the down low power compare between the two bikes. Say below 4K. I know the Honda is good in that range. Thank you!
The GSX-S pulls stronger and harder in any gear at any revs.... it's like a rocket ship in comparison :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Honda is a very good bike imo, they just do everything right. I find it hard to fault them, 30bhp more (no loss of midrange) wouldn't go a miss though.
The reason I never got one, price new was quite a bit more, it's an old model with a revamp imminent, plus I've owned too many hondas and felt like a change.

You won't really know if a bike is right for you without test riding one, what we like you might hate. You don't get married without test riding first!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
My throttle is normal. At about 600 miles It cured itself. New it sucked, really abrupt, not smooth. Today I can safely, smoothly ride with one hand on the throttle the other hand off the bars in the hand on thigh pose. Is that pose just a Florida thing? So don't sweat the throttle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm lucky in that I've owned an 'f' GSXS for 2 months now but still have my '08 1000R as well, I sold two other bikes to help fund the Suzuki but love the CB too much to let it go.
The Suzuki definitely has more power although I'd say there was very little in it from say 0-60 but although quick the power is more linear on the Honda, the Suzuki is more of a hooligan as the revs climb.
Both bikes handle very well but the Honda is a little softer from the factory, a bit of adjustment sorts that.
And finally if anything the overall quality and finish is slightly superior on the Honda IMO although as others have said it's outdated in relation to the current competition. Both bikes are superb though.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
+1 ; honda quality in this case is higher , few parts on gsx-s are look like cheap maded

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bumping this one back up. I never ended up buying anything last fall and am looking at the GSXS again. Doesnt look like these are selling around my area. The ones I am seeing at the dealers are early production 16 bikes. Has any new info came available on the throttle issue? Seems some have issues and some not? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I picked up my 2016 gsxs the throttle was jerky but quickly improved. Now, after 3500 mile the throttle is not an issue.I test rode the Honda a few times wanting to love it, but, bought the gsxs f, which for me, was much more comfortable, had plenty of low and mid grunt and felt very solid in corners. My other bike is a 2013 street triple, so, I am familiar with near perfect fueling. The Honda may be a little closer to the street triple fueling wise, but, my gsxs is just more fun for me to ride.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bumping this one back up. I never ended up buying anything last fall and am looking at the GSXS again. Doesnt look like these are selling around my area. The ones I am seeing at the dealers are early production 16 bikes. Has any new info came available on the throttle issue? Seems some have issues and some not? Thanks.
My understanding is that mid to late 2016 models got revised ECUs with better fueling... mines an August 2016 bike and the fueling is sharp but controllable....very easy to adapt to within a day or so.
Rode a 2011 CB1000r that my neighbour had...compared to the GSXSF it felt heavy and much slower in the turns.
I have to hand it to Suzuki... this bike is serious fun and soooooo easy to have fun on and I've had all 3 versions of Aprilia Tuonos as a reference point.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I got my gsxs in October of last year and yes I had the throttle issue, but a quick adjustment of my tps has sorted it completely, I believe mine has the new ecu on it as well. Checking the position of the tps is an easy job to carry out! It is hit and miss weather people have the throttle issue or don't, but if you get one and find your throttle is a little jerky there is more then enough help/guides and people who will help you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I liked the looks of the cbr1000r better than my gsx-s1000naked. But I like everything else about the gsx-s much much more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts