GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is working great but I'm still tweaking comfort; despite several months of frequent riding (2200 miles) I still keep feeling the bars are too wide- and I'd like the controls to angle back a bit more. As a potentially disposable test-mule, I found and bought a beater pro-taper CR mid on ebay, already cut down to 30". I don't mind further drilling and cutting to fit the controls and adjust width.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has experimented along those lines. I don't mind slightly increased steering effort if I get back some posture and better hand angle on the controls.

Thanks!

· Registered
21 Posts
I don't have an answer as I've been looking on this forum for an answer to the GSXS1000F "ape hangers". I personally find the width to be about right but I much prefer the hand angle to be swept downward. Was adding the controls difficult? Did you have to buy new grips?

· Registered
125 Posts
...at least the early ones had bar which could be rotated, changing the angle. You may not care but the width of the bar is not only related to comfort, but mainly to steering effort. The shorter the bar, the harder it gets. The wider, the lighter. Is all about leverage.

................shorter also makes it harder to lift, if you drop it.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll drill and mount the bar when it gets here. The protaper measurement table suggests the "cr mid" bend points the controls back a bit more than the stocker, but the rise is a bit less so who knows. Moving the hands inwards also slightly decreases the reach. I like the controls slightly downward too- the factory bar almost gets it right for me but even with a riser to allow more rotation its not quite "there".

· Registered
150 Posts
I have no hesitation cutting the bars down. You'll overload your shoulders if the bars are too wide. You need your ergonomics right for you to be comfortable. You are likely to be only removing 10mm each side, it won't make a difference to ride ability with the exception of comfort.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ebay bar I bought was already cut down by 40mm- so 20mm each side, its also scratched and worn and cheap so is fine to hack on. If it ends up being perfect, I don't mind sanding and painting it and leaving it on the bike.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, sure glad I bought a beater bar. The OEM 2022 bars are narrower- in fact 29.5" straight from end-to-end, my cut-down bar is 30" down from 32". The OEM bars are swept back a bit more than the protaper CR Mid bar. I'll cut this beater bar down a bit to experiment but will keep looking for a more swept elcheapo to experiment with.

I'm definitely not going to cut down the OEM bar until I'm really sure thats the right move....

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some experimentation with the CR Mid and CR High protaper bars. The big problem with replacement bars is the straight length out at the bar ends for the controls- the OEM bar has 9" (288mm) whereas the CR Mid's are 8" (approx 200mm) so the ends of the grips hang off both ends of the handlebar, and are still more or less the same distance apart as on the OEM bar- not a good solution. Probably a good rule when evaluating replacement bars is ensure the control area is long enough

I rode some with the CR Mid installed, no difference really- I think the next move is to get the OEM bars back on and slide the controls further in to the degree possible and drill new holes for the alignment tabs in the control clusters. The original holes would be covered by the controls.... I'll try that next. If all taht works out then I'd cut the ends off the bars protruding past the grips.

btw- regardless of bar modification, be sure to take the bar weights out and get some grease onto the screws and rubber sliders so they don't rust and stick. I bought my 2022 bike in June and one of the bar weights needed oil driven into the rubber sliders via compressed air to come loose- a couple years of highway air and sticking in place might turn one or both into a problem.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up modifying the OEM bar setup; I moved both controls 1/2" inwards and drilled new alignment holes so the controls would be more convenient to hand given the bar rotation. The OEM bars have a long enough control area so the controls could maybe move nearly 1" inward. I didn't want to go that far and I need some space left for the Garmin mounting clamp.

Rode to work today and steering effort is not noticably different but certainly a comfort improvement; less stretch needed to grip the bars which helps decrease the tendency to weight the bars. So I think experimenting with the protaper bars was a dead end because the lengths of straight ends of those bars are too short to allow much change in control location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts