GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to quiet my GSXS1000 down for touring and track use. running Decat headers on the stock end can and its probably a little loud for most tracks and bound to draw attention in the Alps.

Considering a black widow can in 300-360 or 400mm length, really want it to be muted without choking top end power so would rather have the longer can and no mute fitted.

Anyone got one or able to post any noise figures or videos?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not got any figures but right now i have decatted stock headers with fuel exhaust 350mm can no baffle and its way way quiter than the stock can which is more or less straight through can and i cant feel any top end loss and in fact running a longer muffler has completely made my bottom end smooth too. I had a toro can prior to this was too loud and bike ran rough low down even with tune.

Im changing to black widow or lextek headers this week need to decide. Which headers you run?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not got any figures but right now i have decatted stock headers with fuel exhaust 350mm can no baffle and its way way quiter than the stock can which is more or less straight through can and i cant feel any top end loss and in fact running a longer muffler has completely made my bottom end smooth too. I had a toro can prior to this was too loud and bike ran rough low down even with tune.

Im changing to black widow or lextek headers this week need to decide. Which headers you run?
This is my second GSXS and is fitted with Lextek headers and stock end can. I bought the headers but didnt fit them for over a year as the stock bike was so nice, minimal snatch, incredible economy and I even liked the stock sound. Only thing I disliked was the ugly Turkey tray muffler underneath so finally swapped out headers and had a Woolwich reflash to 162/82. Never checked it before the new headers but it was 155 on the headers buy ran like a 3 legged pig!

What has surprised me is how loud this setup is. My previous GSXS was not dis-similar to yours with a custom decat pipe welded in, keeping the exhaust valve and stock can was noticeably quieter in day to day use, I have to put this down to the ECU flash refining the exhaust valve closing down at low and cruise throttle settings, still barked mightily when volume was wound up! Think hard before losing the exhaust valve unless you ride on the stop -ALWAYS!

Interested to hear that the 350mm works for you,

Reactions: Gixxus_Lou

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my second GSXS and is fitted with Lextek headers and stock end can. I bought the headers but didnt fit them for over a year as the stock bike was so nice, minimal snatch, incredible economy and I even liked the stock sound. Only thing I disliked was the ugly Turkey tray muffler underneath so finally swapped out headers and had a Woolwich reflash to 162/82. Never checked it before the new headers but it was 155 on the headers buy ran like a 3 legged pig!

What has surprised me is how loud this setup is. My previous GSXS was not dis-similar to yours with a custom decat pipe welded in, keeping the exhaust valve and stock can was noticeably quieter in day to day use, I have to put this down to the ECU flash refining the exhaust valve closing down at low and cruise throttle settings, still barked mightily when volume was wound up! Think hard before losing the exhaust valve unless you ride on the stop -ALWAYS!

Interested to hear that the 350mm works for you,
Looking to quiet my GSXS1000 down for touring and track use. running Decat headers on the stock end can and its probably a little loud for most tracks and bound to draw attention in the Alps.

Considering a black widow can in 300-360 or 400mm length, really want it to be muted without choking top end power so would rather have the longer can and no mute fitted.

Anyone got one or able to post any noise figures or videos?
I have black widow headers and 200mm silencer. It’s super loud without the baffle, with it it’s a louder then stock idle and definitely bit louder when on the throttle. I would recommend getting the largest possible can if you want to keep the db low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts