GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I鈥檓 in desperate need of a comfort custom seat or a recommended seat cover.
Did a 7hour Peak District ride for my first long ride on my gsxs-1000 and my lower back was killing me for the next 3 days and then after trying to pick something off the floor my back fully went ( see physio tomorrow - suspected herniated/sipped disc or pulled back muscles ) suffices to say I鈥檓 in f***ing agony 馃槱. Not sure when I will be able to ride again but I definitely need a softer seat and to adopt a more upright position when riding.

thanks in advance for any info

Registered
I鈥檓 in desperate need of a comfort custom seat or a recommended seat cover.
Did a 7hour Peak District ride for my first long ride on my gsxs-1000 and my lower back was killing me for the next 3 days and then after trying to pick something off the floor my back fully went ( see physio tomorrow - suspected herniated/sipped disc or pulled back muscles ) suffices to say I鈥檓 in f***ing agony 馃槱. Not sure when I will be able to ride again but I definitely need a softer seat and to adopt a more upright position when riding.

thanks in advance for any info View attachment 46300

Registered
Hi fella,
No info on seat but I fitted 20mm risers, tweaked the suspension and lowered rear to 36psi (oem Dunlops)
That helped me.
I expect new rubber will too next week.
I also considered lowering the pegs but changed my mind after doing the above I was more on the tyre edge.
Heal soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi fella,
No info on seat but I fitted 20mm risers, tweaked the suspension and lowered rear to 36psi (oem Dunlops)
That helped me.
I expect new rubber will too next week.
I also considered lowering the pegs but changed my mind after doing the above I was more on the tyre edge.
Heal soon.
Cheers for the response bud, what do you mean by 20mm risers?

also what setting do you think your middle sndsuspension is on? I鈥檓 like 200lbs/14st and 6鈥1鈥

I had no idea this Bike would be this taxing on long rides 馃槀 , I鈥檓 a very active fit lad so was surprised this ride cripple me.

Also has anyone else had a bad back from this bike, and how did others overcome it? Or was it a case of getting used to it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Risers are handlebar risers, literally just raises them and therefore requires less of a forward lean angle so the back is under less pressure.
cheers pubbie, just ordered these risers , hope these will help 馃憤馃徎 Also to take pressure off my wrists.

Registered
Cheers for the response bud, what do you mean by 20mm risers?

also what setting do you think your middle sndsuspension is on? I鈥檓 like 200lbs/14st and 6鈥1鈥

I had no idea this Bike would be this taxing on long rides 馃槀 , I鈥檓 a very active fit lad so was surprised this ride cripple me.

Also has anyone else had a bad back from this bike, and how did others overcome it? Or was it a case of getting used to it?
Hi,
Yeah risers as above reply for the handlebars.
In my opinion the comfort seat, in that it would probably raise you, could make it worse.

The truth is that the rear shocker is the problem, not being the best, but can be mitigated to an extent.
I am just half a stone lighter than you but same height. and although I was told never copy other peoples settings for suspension but rather learn what does what and set to your riding style, weight and roads you ride predominately, mine are as below :-

Front 38psi, preload 1 turn in from full out, rebound 3 clicks out and compression 2.5 turns out. Which gives me 38mm rider sag.
Rear 38psi, ramp 2 preload and 3/8 turn out on rebound. Around 35mm Rider sag.

That was on stock tyres and having pilot power fitted next week they probably will change.
Also getting the ecu flashed helped as it was smoother and faster, lol.

You may find it useful to subscribe to Dave Moss on Youtube, though primarily he is track focused, still good stuff.

A Nitron shocker I am told transforms the bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
In my opinion the comfort seat, in that it would probably raise you, could make it worse.

The truth is that the rear shocker is the problem, not being the best, but can be mitigated to an extent.
I am just half a stone lighter than you but same height. and although I was told never copy other peoples settings for suspension but rather learn what does what and set to your riding style, weight and roads you ride predominately, mine are as below :-

Front 38psi, preload 1 turn in from full out, rebound 3 clicks out and compression 2.5 turns out. Which gives me 38mm rider sag.

That was on stock tyres and having pilot power fitted next week they probably will change.

You may find it useful to subscribe to Dave Moss on Youtube, though primarily he is track focused, still good stuff.

cheers Suzufasti

I will give these setting a go 馃榾 although I鈥檓 not going to lie, a lot of it doesn鈥檛 makes sense as this is my first big bike and I鈥檝e never changed any mechanical settings before and I will have to YouTube this to help me 馃槀.

yes I鈥檓 deffo going to be booking a ecu flash in with p3tuning at some point 馃憤馃徎

I will also subscribe to Dave Moss on Youtube 馃憡馃徎

Registered
cheers Suzufasti

I will give these setting a go 馃榾 although I鈥檓 not going to lie, a lot of it doesn鈥檛 makes sense as this is my first big bike and I鈥檝e never changed any mechanical settings before and I will have to YouTube this to help me 馃槀.

yes I鈥檓 deffo going to be booking a ecu flash in with p3tuning at some point 馃憤馃徎

I will also subscribe to Dave Moss on Youtube 馃憡馃徎
Be careful adjusting mate it's easy to mess up. It's not called 2clicks out for nothing, lol.
Pay the 拢30/yr sub, its worth it on Dave Moss.

Those settings work for me, on my bike, with my weight and my riding style.
As the Americans say - your mileage may vary.

Having said all that the combo of - flash, risers, puig flyscreen and suspension tweak mitigates the shocker expense enough for me.
Or maybe it;s cos I'm a Yorkshireman? lol.

Take care.

Registered
Rather than going the whole hog with the shock, I got a new saddleman seat and replaced the spring (also had the bike flashed) this transformed the ride. Much less 'crashy'. Also had the bike set up for me with regards to suspension - if you arent sure what you are up to with it, Id thoroughly recommend this.

Whatever you end up with, let us know

Registered
Rather than going the whole hog with the shock, I got a new saddleman seat and replaced the spring (also had the bike flashed) this transformed the ride. Much less 'crashy'. Also had the bike set up for me with regards to suspension - if you arent sure what you are up to with it, Id thoroughly recommend this.

Whatever you end up with, let us know
Yeah fair comments. All I would add is that learning what does what saves going back to the tuner to tweak every 2k or so.
Also the "right" as per tuner, settings and what you like aren't always the same.
For eg on the track it's probably best to have no turnover on fork rebound, so down up and stop, whereas on the street a bit of turnover is usually better and so on ...
Oh and tweak it after a 20minute ride to get everything at working temp, including you. lol.
Have fun

Registered
I use an inflatable seat pad, picked it up on amazon for about $25 US, have put about 1500 miles on it, has held up, makes a big difference.

Registered
Hi,

Hi Suzifasti
Where did you get the ECU flashed, i am considering it but dont know who to make contact with for bike specific ECU tunes.
TY.

Registered
Hi Suzifasti
Where did you get the ECU flashed, i am considering it but dont know who to make contact with for bike specific ECU tunes.
TY.
Hi,
Mine was done at Jordan Bikes, Leeds.
Josh is the guy, done loads.

Watch here, standard bike

Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
it has medical gel & foam designed for long rides - more comfortable than stock for sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts