GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. The exhaust seems like an after-thought to a great bike. I was thinking of trying VHT Paint. Anyone done it ? Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi all. The exhaust seems like an after-thought to a great bike. I was thinking of trying VHT Paint. Anyone done it ? Thanks for replies.
Used high temp exhaust paint a while ago. It's held up marvelously. Looks much better black. I left the end cap for some contrast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks awesome SS7! Did you rough up the surface a little first? Looks like you used gloss for the pipe and matte for the bottom?

·
Registered
191 Posts
SS7, that looks good. I've got a Ti Mivv Double Gun exhaust and Carbon Fiber heat shield. I think I might paint the chamber black too just so it doesn't stand out so much. (BTW, what is the official name of that monstrosity. I couldn't find a part number / name for it on the parts fiche).
Yeah I would totally paint it - prechamber, premuffler, resonator, muffler box, mid muffler, I've heard all sorts of names. Pick one and go with it haha. I really like your CF heat shield, is that from those eBay sellers who do CF parts for our bikes?

To paint it, I used Rustoleum High Heat (2000F) primer, then flat black paint in the same name. Probably overkill but doesn't hurt. They have the 500F stuff too but I have a feeling that thing gets hotter than 500 especially in the summertime.

Oh and yes I did rough up the surface a bit first with a scotchbrite pad, then cleaned with acetone or alcohol, then on to primer.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The heat shield I got from Rapido1 who bought it then went a different direction (again) with his exhaust (He's been through a few) . ;). It's very high quality (I don't think available on ebay, but I could be wrong). Rapido1 gave me this link. I think it looks pretty nice, but that whateveritscalled sure looks ugly and I'd love to clean up the look without a new header, flash, etc....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah I would totally paint it - prechamber, premuffler, resonator, muffler box, mid muffler, I've heard all sorts of names. Pick one and go with it haha. I really like your CF heat shield, is that from those eBay sellers who do CF parts for our bikes?

To paint it, I used Rustoleum High Heat (2000F) primer, then flat black paint in the same name. Probably overkill but doesn't hurt. They have the 500F stuff too but I have a feeling that thing gets hotter than 500 especially in the summertime.

Oh and yes I did rough up the surface a bit first with a scotchbrite pad, then cleaned with acetone or alcohol, then on to primer.
That tailpipe looks a superb job sir, just to clarify the centre box is called the "turkey tray" for obvious reasons.🤣

·
Registered
19 Posts

SS7, looks great. Were you able to paint in place ... how much of the exhaust system did you have to remove to paint it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
SS7, looks great. Were you able to paint in place ... how much of the exhaust system did you have to remove to paint it?
Thanks! I only removed the muffler and heat shield. Painted the rest of it in place (masked surrounding areas). No need to remove the exhaust/headers from the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did my exhaust today. i had already done the exhaust guard in graphite while i was deciding whether to black out the rest. in order to break up all the black, i left the shield graphite and the muffler tip its stock color ... tbd on whether i leave it that way or go all black.

IMG_3578.jpeg IMG_3580.jpeg IMG_3577.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since, it was only intended to be temporary, i used a metallic plastic-dip i had left over from doing my car rims. i can easily peel it off (i was afraid to paint the chrome without making sure i wouldn't go back.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since, it was only intended to be temporary, i used a metallic plastic-dip i had left over from doing my car rims. i can easily peel it off (i was afraid to paint the chrome without making sure i wouldn't go back.)
Nice! Which color Plastidip?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts