GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my GSX-S1000F, but I always have my eye out for the next bike that might take it's place. I haven't been able to do as much long distance as I had planned lately, and I've also been thinking I might want something a little lighter and more nimble, that doesn't need to do a lot of miles on the freeway.
Looking at one of these.
I owned an FZ-07 before my GSX and it was a great bike. I know some of you are Suzuki die-hards, but I've never been that religious over MCs having owned Honda (2), Kawasaki (1), Yamaha (2), Suzuki (3), and not a problem with any of them.
Maybe it's just winter and I'm freaking out and gone into bike fantasy mode. 馃ぃ

Administrator
I love my GSX-S1000F, but I always have my eye out for the next bike that might take it's place. I haven't been able to do as much long distance as I had planned lately, and I've also been thinking I might want something a little lighter and more nimble, that doesn't need to do a lot of miles on the freeway.
Looking at one of these.
I owned an FZ-07 before my GSX and it was a great bike. I know some of you are Suzuki die-hards, but I've never been that religious over MCs having owned Honda (2), Kawasaki (1), Yamaha (2), Suzuki (3), and not a problem with any of them.
Maybe it's just winter and I'm freaking out and gone into bike fantasy mode. 馃ぃ
GSX-R1000 ? 馃槒 sounds about right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the R1000 would be a fantastic bike, hmmm, I need the think about that. ;)

Registered
Having owned three gsxr1000s I can say they鈥檙e a fantastic bike. If you like fast, great handling bikes, then go for it. But.. only if you have plenty of twisty roads to ride. Otherwise they are a waste of time. Like having a Ferrari and only driving in town. Ride it normally and it feels like you鈥檙e crawling along. I鈥檝e gotten to the stage that I want more comfort if I鈥檓 just doing general riding, so the sports crouch doesn鈥檛 appeal to me anymore.

Im having a hankering for a kawasaki 650 Versys. I rode an NC 750 a while back, and was surprised that such a small hp bike felt so much fun. Comfortable, nimble. The versys has more hp, and apparently is sportier. I like big engine bikes, but prefer the easier maintenance of a twin. What鈥檚 not to like?

Registered
I had a 2019 mt09, great engine, great sound with a full akrapovic on it
My rsv4 will be 2 yr old in September, I鈥檓 tempted by a new panigale
Will have to borrow one for the day and see if it鈥檚 worth changing for

Registered
when i bought the s i was a;so looking at the xsr900 went back and forth sitting on eack one xsr is a sharp looking bike in person i think of other bikes every winter for past 45 years,, tells me non riding season is to long....when winter is over im glad i didnt pull the trigger on another bike after owning the s last time i did it was for a dr650 owned 2 dr650 in 4 year span and loved the bike dr has no problem hitting highway anyway i know the feeling When time comes a dr is in my future

Registered
How do you like the dr650? Compared to say a gsxs.
It鈥檚 my 3rd DR650 in the last 6 years. I sold my last one last year after my accident.
I love them! This one I bought I鈥檓 really spending some bucks on to make it what I want for off road riding. I will have an additional $5000 into it. All new race tech suspension, Yosh exhaust and carb jetted, new bars, heated grips, take away Ram mirrors, Acerbis lever guards, Acerbis skid plate, warp 9 engine guards, warp 9 pegs, tail tidy kit, IMS led headlight, Acerbis big fuel tank, tail rack, 606 Dunlop knobbie tires, redone seat,
We are going to do the Washington BDR again...Osoyoos BC to Portland Oregon 6 days through mountains. Great trip.

Attachments

Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
Aprilia rsv4 - they haven't made drastic changes but instead have refined a design for 10 years via customer feedback - perfect design model

obviously not without its quirks.....however.

reminds of Porsches model - refine what works

S1000rr?

Gixxer seems awesome just more expensive than the others from what I can see

but in my fairly extensive research I've found 2017 a pivotal year in the world of biking & you'd be hard pressed to find a "bad" bike..... (kawasaki z900 is exempt from this comment ; awful machine)

Registered
The Yamaha CP3 triple engine is a fantastic engine in anything Yamaha puts it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the more I look, the more I like the new 2022 XSR900. Not sure if I'll really pull the trigger. A lot depends on when, how much, trade value, etc. But I think it would be perfect for my needs. Not that there is anything wrong with my GSX-S1000F, and I'm sure I'd miss the adrenaline rush that hits over 7K, but there are different kinds of fun that a lighter, quicker, torqueier bike could bring to the table.

Registered
That 2022 Z900RS I got on mid November was sold on 23 December last week. It was everything a GSX-S isn't. 5 weeks all up, 1100 km.
Soulless machine just like the prior Ninja 1000. To me anyway, it was the Toyota Camry of big bikes. Just overpriced transport.

As Free Penguiny said above in his post 11, it as per it's Z900 host, has one too many gears between 2, 3. & 4. A 5 speed box is all it needs.
In retrospect, I should have taken the 2022 V Strom 650 when I had the bike waiting on the shop floor for me.

I am thinking small, a 35KW Honda CB500X. I had a loan one when the Z has its first service, and boy I loved every minute of my 100 Km ride day on it.
So along with the DL650, a Kawasaki Versys 650, the new and still unavailable yet GSX-S1K is a standout contender to share my garage with the beaut SV650 in 2022.
Oh, those difficult decisions for the again cashed up Baby Boomer Generation.;)

Rob.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I'll definitely stay away from the Z900. ;) I know what you're saying about small. I love my DL650, but it's far from perfect. Tall, and pretty heavy. Not that I want a Honda Monkey, but there are definitely advantages to less weight.

Registered
It鈥檚 my 3rd DR650 in the last 6 years. I sold my last one last year after my accident.
I love them! This one I bought I鈥檓 really spending some bucks on to make it what I want for off road riding. I will have an additional $5000 into it. All new race tech suspension, Yosh exhaust and carb jetted, new bars, heated grips, take away Ram mirrors, Acerbis lever guards, Acerbis skid plate, warp 9 engine guards, warp 9 pegs, tail tidy kit, IMS led headlight, Acerbis big fuel tank, tail rack, 606 Dunlop knobbie tires, redone seat,
We are going to do the Washington BDR again...Osoyoos BC to Portland Oregon 6 days through mountains. Great trip.
Sounds like a great trip. 馃憤馃徏

Registered
On my second GSXS 1000 F and have it set up pretty much how I want and need. Auxillary 12V socket, twin USB, power to heated gear,Nitron rear Shock, Decat and slip on combined with J33 flash for over 160/80 at the rear wheel. Blaze panniers and a couple of Givi tanklock bags to suit the journey. Powerpronze double bubble on extended mounts and motech bar risers complete the deal.

Its 68 plate and has covered almost 20 thousand miles including tours, trackdays and the occasional commute.

Always looking for a bike to replace it but struggle to find anything that fills my needs better and makes the cost to change palatable.

Really like the new GT in triton blue with full pannier set up but was really taken with the spec and VFM of the KTM Super Adventure S which in comparison with the GT seems a bit of a bargain.

Not overly impressed with the looks of most modern bikes, my F included LOL

Probably stick with my 1000F unless something really special comes along.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Registered
I have a Goldwing for traveling and I just recently acquired a 2016 GSXS 1000 from a friend for speed thrills. But I would possibly like a Harley Fat Bob to round out my collection of different riding styles. I know my other 2 choices are not probably forum friendly, but I am the guy that if you are on 2 wheels whatever that may be I wave when I go by.

Reactions: mike d
1 - 20 of 78 Posts