GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
if you are talking in town run around staying under 70 mph.. i had an SV650 and a ninja 650 they are perfect for that.. the ninja was okay on the highway but down on power so i got the gsxsf that solved my highway issues.. where i live 90MPH is normal for the cages..
Well.. I must admit that I love the GSX-S1000 power acceleration. I also own a DL650, and I'm kinda looking for the best of both worlds. The DL is a not as smooth or powerful as as the GSX, but it is a freaking, fun, reliable do-it-all bike. It's also still a little heavy for what I'm looking for. Having owned an FZ-07 that I liked a lot, I'm hoping the XRS-900 (new lighter weight, more power), will give me more, and smoother power than the DL650, and lighter weight than both the GSX and DL. I'm still not decided though, so this all might change (It's winter fantasize about a new bike time). 馃ぃ

Banned
Well.. I must admit that I love the GSX-S1000 power acceleration. I also own a DL650, and I'm kinda looking for the best of both worlds. The DL is a not as smooth or powerful as as the GSX, but it is a freaking, fun, reliable do-it-all bike. It's also still a little heavy for what I'm looking for. Having owned an FZ-07 that I liked a lot, I'm hoping the XRS-900 (new lighter weight, more power), will give me more, and smoother power than the DL650, and lighter weight than both the GSX and DL. I'm still not decided though, so this all might change (It's winter fantasize about a new bike time). 馃ぃ
you want offload capabilities an adventure bike is what you are after.???? africa twin honda and the ktm are awesome..i have talked with triumph 900 tiger owners they say that bike is good as well-- myself the KTM 890 adventure would be the ticket for that ride-
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Registered
My dad just bought a 2021 mt09. That bike is extremely light and flick-able.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Registered
This fall I bought another new dr650.....my choices were a Husky 701, ktm 690r and the tenere....I went with the dr because it has 5 year warranty....I bought it for $5999 and now have put another $5000 into it.....all new suspension and tons of upgrades....I have a bike that is still cheaper than those three bikes and way more reliable...the tenere is a close second but i do lots of off road and the DR is a lot lighter.....especially with my upgrades.
I do have an affinity for the DR and have owned a few over the years. I have a RMX450 for trails currently, so I'm looking for something in between that and the gixxus for moderate travel and motocamping off fire roads. Having said that, I've thought about going through the process of making the RMX road-going. Just not sure how comfy it would be slabbing down the road with luggage.

Registered
I鈥檝e never even ridden a Dr650. I like the idea of simplicity of a single, and the fact tuning one cylinder is a quarter the cost of say an inline four. I鈥檓 wondering if I rode one I鈥檇 be pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, as I was when I rode an Nc750 on a demo ride as nothing else was available.

What鈥榮 so good about the DR650?

Registered
I鈥檝e never even ridden a Dr650. I like the idea of simplicity of a single, and the fact tuning one cylinder is a quarter the cost of say an inline four. I鈥檓 wondering if I rode one I鈥檇 be pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed, as I was when I rode an Nc750 on a demo ride as nothing else was available.

I love riding my DR....it really is a lot of fun. And where I live on Vancouver Island it's pretty much a perfect bike. In fact I have often said, if I could only keep one bike, it would likely be the DR.

Registered
I think, first, it's got to be the simplicity. The carb'd single, combined with the fact the bike is unchanged for ~25 years makes it easy to own and love. There's a lot of aftermarket support including larger fuel tanks, big bore kits, and suspension upgrades (which is almost a requirement). Lots of community support via ThumperTalk and ADVRider.

It's a wee bit under-powered in stock form, which is good for newer riders, and you can throw money at it for more ponies. Ergonomics are approachable for a dual sport. Seat height isn't too aggressive while still providing decent ground clearance. It's heavy enough to take on the highway, but light enough to carve through the forest.

Oh, and it's cheap. You'll have money left in your pocket to mod the bike to suit your needs/wants.

Registered
One very good point in these older 'veteran' bikes is their steel wheel rims.
I am sure that those traffic light sensors that are buried in the tar which use radio waves to detect a vehicle would always be triggered by a such a steel rimmed bike.

I've found numerous sets of lights that even with the bike in neutral and the steel side stand directly over the wire nothing happens.
I curse it when I am in a turn lane, and no car wants to turn or hangs back way past the sensor ring, and we all sit there for multiple light cycles.

Rob.

Registered
One very good point in these older 'veteran' bikes is their steel wheel rims.
I am sure that those traffic light sensors that are buried in the tar which use radio waves to detect a vehicle would always be triggered by a such a steel rimmed bike.

I've found numerous sets of lights that even with the bike in neutral and the steel side stand directly over the wire nothing happens.
I curse it when I am in a turn lane, and no car wants to turn or hangs back way past the sensor ring, and we all sit there for multiple light cycles.

Rob.
I wait a bit and then go when it's clear...

Registered
I am looking to add/ switch to an adventure ride to the garage. Looking at both the Africa twin or the Honda crf300l. Each has their own benefits, but the tiny 300 seems more interesting due to the light weight. Could easily trailer or carry the tiny dual sport across country on a pickup/suv to more interesting places instead of racking miles on the larger ADV getting there.

Registered
I am looking to add/ switch to an adventure ride to the garage. Looking at both the Africa twin or the Honda crf300l. Each has their own benefits, but the tiny 300 seems more interesting due to the light weight. Could easily trailer or carry the tiny dual sport across country on a pickup/suv to more interesting places instead of racking miles on the larger ADV getting there.
Get a dr650 .. it can be both bikes 馃檪

Registered
Heart is saying to go back to a sportsbike, probably BMW for a change, knees and back say stay on a naked, whilst head says wait a year and see if they put the new dash on the gixxus.
I have a '17 BMW S1000RR...I'm 75 (or will be next month). Set up with Heli bars, I can ride it for 300 miles in mountain twisties and still feel fine at the end of a long day. I am looking at the 1250 RS, though, which is an amazingly-balanced bike (due to the low CG of the Boxer engine's cylinders); only thing wrong with it is a noisy windscreen (fixable, but having been down this road before I know how frustrating finding a good screen can be).

Once I can see a Suzuki GT in person, I may go that route. It ticks a lot of boxes, with the exception of not having a remote preload adjust, non-standard heated grips, etc., but for sporty touring with a great motor, it looks compelling. Lot cheaper than a RR, for sure.

Registered
I have a '17 BMW S1000RR...I'm 75 (or will be next month). Set up with Heli bars, I can ride it for 300 miles in mountain twisties and still feel fine at the end of a long day. I am looking at the 1250 RS, though, which is an amazingly-balanced bike (due to the low CG of the Boxer engine's cylinders); only thing wrong with it is a noisy windscreen (fixable, but having been down this road before I know how frustrating finding a good screen can be).

Once I can see a Suzuki GT in person, I may go that route. It ticks a lot of boxes, with the exception of not having a remote preload adjust, non-standard heated grips, etc., but for sporty touring with a great motor, it looks compelling. Lot cheaper than a RR, for sure.
I love the RS too.....but not enough to spend 8 grand more....plus the gt is a solid bike. As for waiting to see one in person, that maybe tough....I emailed a dealer in Vancouver bc that was adverting the gt and asked when they would have one on the floor....this is the reply
Hello Trevor,

Its now looking like our allocation for a unit in February is no longer coming unfortunately.

Are you considering any other options? Perhaps Kawasaki H2 SX SE?

Registered
I love the RS too.....but not enough to spend 8 grand more....plus the gt is a solid bike. As for waiting to see one in person, that maybe tough....I emailed a dealer in Vancouver bc that was adverting the gt and asked when they would have one on the floor....this is the reply
Hello Trevor,

Its now looking like our allocation for a unit in February is no longer coming unfortunately.

I looked at the Ninja SX, but a couple of things bothered me about it: The seat is said to be "painful after an hour" (I can ride my RR for hours without issue), and I don't care for the color. The H2 SX SE? If the 1250 RS is expensive, the SE is even more so, so...no.

My dealer is waiting on allocation, too. I suspect it'll be delayed also. Still, I'm interested...I'm a former Suzuki owner and like their bikes.

For now, the RR will stay...it's an incredible bike, only lacking long-range tour comfort/panniers.

Registered
Hello Trevor,

did they update your order? or thats just going by everyone else's updates of being delayed

61 - 78 of 78 Posts