GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has tried leaving the stock system on the bike but simply replacing the muffler (and cat unless the sensors really need it) with some straight through pipe.

Thinking that if it doesn't cause cause any errors in the ECU or performance issues it could be a pretty cheap mod for noise and sound before going for a set of headers, filter and power commander.

Especially given that a slip on seems to do sweet **** all to the note and volume with the rest of the stock system in place and it takes a set of headers with a muffler and cat delete for a real change.

·
Registered
204 Posts
am i missing something here ?? why would you do this ?

i understand removing the cat if it was causing power issues or because its a big fat ugly box under the bike and replacing it with a decat pipe. I could even understand working out how to keep the set valve if for some reason this was required. but i dont understand trying to keep a box and put a pipe through it seems strange ??

so what am i missing here ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
how would you put the cat back etc. to meet the emissions test for whatever periodic vehicle tests that your country requires. I assume most countries will require that the bike is tested from time to time and thus must meet some emissions standard. I understood many people will modify / decat and add PCV etc.. but then they have to return the bike to standard to submit it to the periodic control.

anyways everyone to there own :) enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to have a mate look at it and try and get it done so its reversible. Otherwise I'll just leave it until I get a complete system.

If a v-band can fit in front of the cat and behind the flapper then it should be simple enough.

I don't see the point of trying to hide it as I am imagining (hoping) it its going to make it pretty loud and attract attention anyway. I'm not concerned about that as its not a daily, its purely a toy for me.

Thankfully, there is no need for regular testing for registration or emmisions where I live.

It would need to happen if I get pulled over, its noticed, issued a defect sticker and then have to have it tested so the sticker can be removed. No doubt with an infringement notice for having a defective vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So if i order the Arrow headers and fit onto the stock can, ( which i like ) then plug in the PCv ( with O2 eliminator ) and get the custom map dialed in, then I should have perfect fueling, no twitchy throttle and a great exhaust note. Right...... ??

·
Registered
30 Posts
So if i order the Arrow headers and fit onto the stock can, ( which i like ) then plug in the PCv ( with O2 eliminator ) and get the custom map dialed in, then I should have perfect fueling, no twitchy throttle and a great exhaust note. Right...... ??
I have done exactly what you want, the bike run super! And the arrow header come with mounting for the original exhaust side cover.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi

If any experimenters out there about to fit a full system anyway?

Well- what about first trying drilling the internal baffle in the main exhaust box- per attached.
Will do absolutely nothing for performance, but might improve sound levels.

Lots of experimenters have done this sort of mod before (with mixed results) on other exhausts., hence as not reversible. it would be good if someone intent on then installing a full system could trial for us

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi

If any experimenters out there about to fit a full system anyway?

Well- what about first trying drilling the internal baffle in the main exhaust box- per attached.
Will do absolutely nothing for performance, but might improve sound levels.

Lots of experimenters have done this sort of mod before (with mixed results) on other exhausts., hence as not reversible. it would be good if someone intent on then installing a full system could trial for us
The good 'ol M109R modification... :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
That looks good , any chance of a video so we can hear it, how much louder is it than stock.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts