Overall length: 2115mm
Overall width: 795mm
Overall height: 1180mm
Wheelbase: 1460mm
Ground clearance: 140mm
Seat height: 810mm
Curb mass: 209 -214kg

I find these figures bigger than the other liter class counterparts

I am particularly intrugued by the width of this bike.

Its bloody wide spec wise when compared to cbr1000rr, r1 or zx10r etc

I mean i havnt ridden other bikes

My question is to those who have sat on or ridden other liter class bikes.

Do you think our bike is way bigger than others.

I am also concerned about handling particularly throwing the bike into a corner.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Compared to the bikes you are comparing with (all supersports/race replicas) yes our bikes are bigger...

But they are not the same type of bike. Ours are more upright bikes with a longer wheelbase (the naked is lower than the bikes you mention) and the extra width is due simply to having proper bars not clip-ons

As the launch said - these are designed for ex GSX-R owners who have grown up and need a bike with a more relaxed (upright) seating position

If you look at closer rivals - Z1000, Ninja 1000, MT-10 etc they all have a similar or greater width, all are heavier, all have less ground clearance and other dimensions are similar

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't find my GSX-S to be wide. My Super Tenere, now that's wide :D
You should go find one and sit on it along with others in its class to get a good feel. The GSX-S feels very flickable and does great in the curves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probably just because you're fairly new..check out a few others at the dealer if you're concerned..seat height is lower than most naked for starters.

Try a GS Adventure- this bike is like a toy compared.
The GS is absolutely massive, great touring bike to travel almost anywhere, but i couldn't see myself ever taking one off-road beyond..dirt roads. Also wouldn't offroad a 20-25k adventure bike risking a drop, but my salary probably doesn't align with what new GS buyers make :(

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
They handle well enough too.
I surprised my self by touching my toe on the ground when trail braking into a corner. So maybe a little more ground clearance would be beneficial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
The handling on this bike is amazing. Very light, responsive and adjustable in a corner. You can catch some 'proper' superbikes unawares with this thing.

Best bet is to sit on or go ride some other styles of bikes so you can get a proper feel of what suits you and makes you grin maniacally.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They handle well enough too.
I surprised my self by touching my toe on the ground when trail braking into a corner. So maybe a little more ground clearance would be beneficial

Change your foot position balls of foot on outer part of footrest weight the peg , job done. Kneedown is easy on this machine with no feet or hero blobs touching down , if your body position is right

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Change your foot position balls of foot on outer part of footrest weight the peg , job done. Kneedown is easy on this machine with no feet or hero blobs touching down , if your body position is right

Flipping eck! How long are your toes? You can trail brake with the balls of you feet still on the pegs. You must be part duck or sea lion to have flippers that long
;-)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Compared to my Vstrom 650 it is small, although a different class of bikes It's a good change switching between the two

·
Registered
59 Posts
Flipping eck! How long are your toes? You can trail brake with the balls of you feet still on the pegs. You must be part duck or sea lion to have flippers that long
;-)

Ha ha get ya braking done in a straight line , then tip in ...you can trail brake with ya front brake ... but I'm not suggesting you do unlees you have the skillset

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dimensions wise

Overall length: 2115mm
Overall width: 795mm
Overall height: 1180mm
Wheelbase: 1460mm
Ground clearance: 140mm
Seat height: 810mm
Curb mass: 209 -214kg

I find these figures bigger than the other liter class counterparts

I am particularly intrugued by the width of this bike.

Its bloody wide spec wise when compared to cbr1000rr, r1 or zx10r etc

I mean i havnt ridden other bikes

My question is to those who have sat on or ridden other liter class bikes.

Do you think our bike is way bigger than others.

I am also concerned about handling particularly throwing the bike into a corner.
I've been on R1, CBR1000R and Speed Triple. R1 feels a little smaller, not so sure about the Triple. CBR almost the same. The GSXS' wideness comes entirely due to the handlebars and the mirrors mounted there. Clipons definitely create slimmer bikes. And this goes directly to your point, a more forward leaning bike with clipons will be taken into a corner with a downwards push of the bar almost immediately (as well as with your thighs) and if that's what your habits are then yes, it may feel slightly unnatural at first with the GSXS. I did for me.
But... That being said I split lanes daily with both my GSXS and my CBR250R (W : 720 mm (28 in)) and there aren't that many situations I've been in that I felt the CBR would have gotten me through traffic faster. I ride in LA so bumper to bumper traffic is generally the norm. If anything the noise of the GSXS more than makes up for the extra 7cm.
I cannot count the number of times people have commented on how compact the bike looks and they often guess it to be a 600. So, I guess I took almost three paragraphs to say "no, I don't think so" but it's a matter of perception and if you feel it being big then it must be for you (or it might take some more time getting used to)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx for the input fellow riders,
@bsyarov

Yup i am fairly new to this kind of bike. Infact any superbike.

I am coming from a cbr150r. And i jumped to this.

Infact i love every bit of this awsome piece of machine.

I am 6 feet 2. And i dont feel oversized like i used to on the cbr150r

May its this huge jump i made. And fairly low kms just 30kms on this bike make it seem very intimidating to me size and weight wise.

The first time on 1st gear reving all the way to 5k... made me scream in excitement.. unforgetable moment

I wonder what itill be to reach 11.5k limit in 1st gear.. probably **** my pants lol...

I am on tc3... too scared to go down lol...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Ah, that explains a lot.
It will feel exceedingly big and heavy then. All I can say is keep the speed down on the corners until you are used to the extra weight. Don't try to do too much too quick or it might hurt you ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts