GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm ready to order Arrow headers on Ebay, but not everyone is happy with the fitment of the headers.
RK-performance used the Arrow headers but they did not mention the bad fitment, gixxus used the headers also and he had bad fitment.

Are there more people that used Arrow headers ?
Before I will order the headers (€650,-) I need to know if they fit or not :)

I want to combine the Arrow headers with a custom made Akrapovic can.

Or is there somebody that used stock 1000K7, 1000K8 headers ?
I have a new stock exhaust from a 1000K8 still laying around here.
The headers are Titanium, if they will fit that will be awesome :)

Greets from the Netherlands, I will update you if I have news.
It will take some time because I'm moving out my house soon.
So the exhaust is 2 nd priority :)

I like this curstom exhaust,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2Hhd98SZs

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just orderd Arrow headers and the healtech ESE to delete the exhaust valve.
orderd the headers from France, so I think it will take a couple of weeks.
After that I go to a exhaust builder for a custom muffler, I think a akrapovic can on the Arrow headers will work the best for me.

I also have a PC5 laying here, so after the exhaust the PC5 goes on.
I will try to make a stock run, and a run for the custom PC5 map, so we can see the difference .

Will take a couple of weeks, put after install I will update here :)

Reactions: lee711

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did you use new GSX-S gaskets, or new GSXR 1000 gaskets ?
I've been reading about bad fitment of these headers with the GSX-S exhaust gaskets ?

Hope they will fit :) How much NM torque do the headers need to tighten them ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I fitted the Arrows to my bike & it was not a problem if you take a few precautions. When you have the radiator off & the muffler removed, block up under the cat & undo the manifold bolts, the ease the header forward, & out. It weighs about 8kgs, pick out the old manifold gaskets & your ready. Take the Arrows to the bench & test fit each header pipe into the manifold plate & if required emery them so there are no burrs & they are a good fit. Next fit the Y pieces to the appropriate header pipe because the headers have been bent & the Ys have a socket welded on, there can be a slight ovality, so emery again to ensure a good fit. When you are happy ensure the Y piece is fully home & mark the header pipe so on fit up you know it is correct. Next do the same thing with the Y pieces to the link pipe & mark the link pipe the same way. When the fit on the bench is good, with copper slip ht grease, fit the new manifold gaskets to the head, fit the new manifold plate & torque the bolts. Now more copper coat & fit the headers & the link pipes fitting the retaining springs as you go, this will allow the headers to move quite a bit. Next more copper coat & fit the Y ,s, they may need a tap with a soft hammer to seat them,& you may need a hand to push the headers toward the rear. Next the link pipe, same again, ensure it is fully home, the shorter bolt from the Arrows will now fit into the link pipe support, I fitted mine left to right as it was easier to fit the link pipe. I reused the OEM muffler after removing an internal sleeve as I could see right through it, plus it had all the words on it for the blue gang to read. I shortened the heat shield as the std set up looked awful, the original fastener that connected to the cat can be reused, just remove the rubber buffer from the muffler & fit the Arrow captive nut. Now shorten the heat shield & make a hole above the nut, fit the fastener & it looks like a bought one, plus you have saved a couple hundred. I'm very happy with mine & I don't think the sound & performance can be improved overly much. Hope that helps you,go well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great explanation.

I have previously mounted complete exhaust systems on other bikes (GSX-R, S1000RR) , so I know what to expact.
I will keep this topic up to date, after collecting all the pieces I have orderd.
The original muffler is going to be too much noise, too many people on a small piece of the world here in the Netherlands ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will you be posting some pictures as you do it to help others attempting the same upgrade?
Yes I will update with pictures.
I think the wait for the exhaust will be 2 or 3 weeks, than I have to go to the exhaust builder to make the custom slip-on pipe and choose a muffler.
So It will take some weeks :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
June 2th I will go to the shop for the exhaust (akra on the Arrow headers).
June 7th I will go to the dynojet store nearby for a custom map (PC-V)

End of May I will install the Arrow headers, I received the new gaskets and the healtech exhaust servo eliminator already.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the first photo.
I will update with a few photo's next week.

The exhaust shop did a perfect job, the akra pipe is made like a slip-on, so you can fit it on the original cat also.
very happy with the result :)

I fitted the PC-V as well, next Tuesday i have an appointment for a custom map and a few dyno runs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is the first photo.
I will update with a few photo's next week.

The exhaust shop did a perfect job, the akra pipe is made like a slip-on, so you can fit it on the original cat also.
very happy with the result :)

I fitted the PC-V as well, next Tuesday i have an appointment for a custom map and a few dyno runs.
Oh my goodness, I was almost ready to put this bike on the road to a new owner but my oh my, I believe we have a winner here!! Thanks for sharing..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts