GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm approaching the 3,000 mile mark and I can feel the motor coming alive. When the bike was new, I used to be able to hold the throttle open while running through the gears but now there's so much power I don't have enough flat/clear surface to do that. I wonder how much more stronger the bike will get before it tops off.

Anyone else notice the bike come alive as it breaks in?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I Have done 5000km in the 3 months I have owned it and can tell you it don't feel like it's dying any time soon
I planned to own this bike for the next 10 years but at this rate it's going to have to go for 200,000 km :)

Reactions: Thumper07

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm approaching the 3,000 mile mark and I can feel the motor coming alive. When the bike was new, I used to be able to hold the throttle open while running through the gears but now there's so much power I don't have enough flat/clear surface to do that. I wonder how much more stronger the bike will get before it tops off.

Anyone else notice the bike come alive as it breaks in?
Ya, I'm at 1500 mi now and the engine does feel different (better/smoother/stronger) the last 200 miles or so. I even commented on it while riding with my wife Saturday (Sena Bluetooth, she rides her own bike) that the bike just felt like it was getting better on our ride that day. Might be my imagination, but I don't think so....

·
Registered
285 Posts
1000k's [600mls] of very varied speeds and engine loads, for one week. Then first service, oil and oil filter changed. Full throttle track use ever since. Haven't noticed any difference in the bike, however have noticed big difference in lap times as i get used to riding this girl, as i get more confident , I get bigger rewards in smiles per mile. 4th gear on the short front straight gives a real kick in the pants between 7000 and 11000 rpm , almost as good as the ram air reward on my old ZZR1100 from the 90's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I Have done 5000km in the 3 months I have owned it and can tell you it don't feel like it's dying any time soon
I planned to own this bike for the next 10 years but at this rate it's going to have to go for 200,000 km :)
Is that weekend riding Nicka?. I've put 2,500 on in 2 weeks but now its on dual race stands in the corner and i'm riding the Busa again.

Clicked over to 68,000km's last night and i purchased it 4 months ago with 49,000kms.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Is that weekend riding Nicka.
Yeah mate been to a couple of bike rallies with friends doing about 500km round trips, we did over 800km last weekend down the great oceon road with the plan to go to the super bikes but we just kept riding having fun and did a round trip overnight then through the Grampians Sunday while heading home.
I don't ride to work cause I cannot carry my coffee at 5.30 in the morning on the bike like I can in the car :)
The K's will slow down in a couple of months as I don't ride when the temperature gets below 20degrees C ;)

Reactions: Dai

·
Registered
79 Posts
Really?. I love weekend runs with mates and plan on doing Great Ocean towards the end of the year. Fortunately i don't own a car at all so stocking up on Ice Break once a week solves that problem.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,884 Posts
I feel my bike got smoother between 1500 to 2000 miles.
I've got over 7000 miles on now and it runs "sweet as a nut" (old fashioned English expression) don't know what sort of "nut" though.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine is at about 2700km now. Generally only ride her over the weekend for breakfast runs, as I use my other bike during the week. She is running beautifully, but still would love more. Like a 160hp+ engine maybe or more even. And more torque please. Scenario for me it that my mate has a 205hp / 144Nm 1299 Ducati Panigale and although I have no problems thru the bends and even accelerating behind him (although I am probably working my bike much harder), I can see that at high speeds how he starts to open up. I hope mine gets even better as I put on more mileage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah mate been to a couple of bike rallies with friends doing about 500km round trips, we did over 800km last weekend down the great oceon road with the plan to go to the super bikes but we just kept riding having fun and did a round trip overnight then through the Grampians Sunday while heading home.
I don't ride to work cause I cannot carry my coffee at 5.30 in the morning on the bike like I can in the car :)
The K's will slow down in a couple of months as I don't ride when the temperature gets below 20degrees C ;)
If I didn't ride below 20 degrees I'd only get out twice a year in the UK>:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine is at about 2700km now. Generally only ride her over the weekend for breakfast runs, as I use my other bike during the week. She is running beautifully, but still would love more. Like a 160hp+ engine maybe or more even. And more torque please. Scenario for me it that my mate has a 205hp / 144Nm 1299 Ducati Panigale and although I have no problems thru the bends and even accelerating behind him (although I am probably working my bike much harder), I can see that at high speeds how he starts to open up. I hope mine gets even better as I put on more mileage.
nah it won't thats as good as it gets , just spend 2 bucket loads of cash and buy a Panigale, you will then have what you want. But you will lose out in the comfort stakes, borrow his and you will see what i mean .

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You have to give it 3,000+ (4,828 KM) miles to break in before you decide it's not powerful enough. It WILL get more powerful as it breaks in. I guarantee it. I'm shocked when people say the bike is not fast enough. There is no way I can ride my bike at full throttle anymore. It's impossible.

It also runs so much smoother. I have a full system on, no cat, and no Power Commander. It runs perfect.

Reactions: dekker

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have to give it 3,000+ (4,828 KM) miles to break in before you decide it's not powerful enough. It WILL get more powerful as it breaks in. I guarantee it. I'm shocked when people say the bike is not fast enough. There is no way I can ride my bike at full throttle anymore. It's impossible.

It also runs so much smoother. I have a full system on, no cat, and no Power Commander. It runs perfect.
"the bike is not fast enough".

·
Registered
57 Posts

Mine is about to click over 6000 km (purchased mid december and fully stock still), I went for a 'little' 1200km/800mi ride in the weekend and opened her up a few times, and my verdict is she's now alarmingly fast. I checked my gopro footage and I got up to some pretty terrifying speeds while overtaking. Not sure why I would ever need more power! It's insane enough as it is... what a machine! My gut feeling is on the last couple of road trips she's finally loosened up.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Now that's just hurtfull:D
I've managed nearly 2000 miles and haven't had a trip out at over 20C yet.
And yes, she has loosened up dramatically>:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wonder about this, too.

The only bike I have, with significant millage on it , is my concours 14. At somewhere near 10,000 miles I had the "opportunity" to open it up and burn three tanks of fuel in about 1.5 hours, and we'll leave it at that.

Only a moron, or someone with police immunity would ride like this

It was a new bike after doing this. I believe modern bikes are so fast, and powerful, that unless you do a few dyno runs, they may never fully break in. Its just too difficult to put that load on the engine on the street, and stay prison/sodomy free.

I can put my finger on just what changed after riding it like this, but smoother idle, better throttle response come too mind.

·
Registered
147 Posts
nah it won't thats as good as it gets , just spend 2 bucket loads of cash and buy a Panigale, you will then have what you want. But you will lose out in the comfort stakes, borrow his and you will see what i mean .

I know exactly what you mean. Panigale is not for me. I don't enjoy the superbike seating position any more. I love how comfortable my bike is and it handles brilliantly thru the bends, just has a bit of a hard suspension for the bumpy roads. Still need to set it up properly. But what I would love, is to transplant that 1285cc Panigale engine into by F. That power and torque in my my F would be awesome. If Suzuki and Japan got to hear of my ideas, they would probably want me to commit seppuku for dishonouring the brand.;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Panigale is not for me. I don't enjoy the superbike seating position any more. I love how comfortable my bike is and it handles brilliantly thru the bends, just has a bit of a hard suspension for the bumpy roads. Still need to set it up properly. But what I would love, is to transplant that 1285cc Panigale engine into by F. That power and torque in my my F would be awesome. If Suzuki and Japan got to hear of my ideas, they would probably want me to commit seppuku for dishonouring the brand.;)
the older i get the more power i need. Why you ask ? Well to make up for my lack of skill. My GSXS is the most powerful bike i've owned and i love the buzz of getting on the throttle, what i hate is my best friend who has a suzuki DR 650 single enduro whose lap times at the track are significantly quicker than mine . Why ? He has talent , i am merely competent , but hey he's still my friend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts