GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get a socket for the back wheel nut that holds it on, just wondering if anybody could let us know what size it is, all mine are too small, tried looking through old threads on here but gave up lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
i need to get a socket for the back wheel nut that holds it on, just wondering if anybody could let us know what size it is, all mine are too small, tried looking through old threads on here but gave up lol
Don't remember, but I think it is 36mm.
To work on bike you should have (at least) 32, 36 and 42mm sockets.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I went down to the second hand tool shop and they had an old tough 3/4 drive 36mm socket and large handle to suit very cheep, i then torque it up to about 2 grunts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I went down to the second hand tool shop and they had an old tough 3/4 drive 36mm socket and large handle to suit very cheep, i then torque it up to about 2 grunts.
"2 grunts" :D
Yes, the good ol' neanderthal way. That works too, unless you're the Hulk.
:D

I think I have 4 torque wrenches among (still not enough) tools.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
So the back is 36mm, anyone know what the front axle nut is by any chance?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
27mm fits on the front.

1" 7/16ths spanner will fit that back too. slightly sloppy but gets the job done.

The other end of the front axle is a 19mm internal Hex.
You probably won't have this lying around, so measure the Hex across the flats, go to a hardware shop and measure the 'across flats' of some Hex ended bolt 's to find a Hex the same size.
Then get 2 nuts and lock them against each other. Better still weld them together and to the bolt shank.
If necessary, get one bolt slightly bigger and grind /file it down to suit the Hexed hole.

It's not a good idea to get the wheel refitted and then pinch up the 2 holder bolts in the fork and tighten up the axle and rely on the clamped fork to counter balance the torque on the 27 mm nut end.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Awesome, I have a 27mm from my last bike's rear axle. Funny how the manual doesn't say anything about needing the 19mm internal hex, they just say draw the axle out and show a hand pulling it from the fork...

Luckily I have an axle adapter tool with a few different sizes and one happens to be 19mm.

Instead of getting a bolt. Just spend the 10 bucks and get one. I didn't know they were this cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
You don't need that fancy axle adapter tool, I just used a big 19mm hex key to hold the shaft with one hand while using a torque wrench on the other end. Luckily for me 19mm was the biggest size the local auto parts store had.

The manual does say "hold the shaft and tighten the nut" so I guess that implies you should hold it with a hex key, although they should have made that clearer. It doesn't say anything about needing to hold the shaft when loosening the the nut, only when tightening.

Do you guys grease the axle before putting it back in? Mine was already greasy so I just stuck it back in but I wonder if I should have wiped it clean and regreased it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got the 36mm one from Halfords a few years back to get the front sprocket of my FZ1, glad it fits the GSXS to :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
It was mentioned that a 42mm was needed. What is that for?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
You don't need that fancy axle adapter tool, I just used a big 19mm hex key to hold the shaft with one hand while using a torque wrench on the other end. Luckily for me 19mm was the biggest size the local auto parts store had.

The manual does say "hold the shaft and tighten the nut" so I guess that implies you should hold it with a hex key, although they should have made that clearer. It doesn't say anything about needing to hold the shaft when loosening the the nut, only when tightening.

Do you guys grease the axle before putting it back in? Mine was already greasy so I just stuck it back in but I wonder if I should have wiped it clean and regreased it.
It'll be obvious when trying to remove the front axle that you need to hold it on both sides or it'll just spin in the fork holes and never loosen, lol. Same when tightening, after 20 ft/lbs or so it'll just spin and spin and never tighten.

Little tip when doing this, make sure you don't use the forks for leverage or have someone on the bike holding the bars when tightening or you could throw the forks and front wheel out of alignment. Just use the axle nut and whatever you use on the inside of the axle as the only contact points when tightening/torquing it down.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Also, after tightening the axle nut, I pump the forks a few times before tightening the pinch bolts, just to help settle everything in its natural position.

Reactions: TheDude

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Also, after tightening the axle nut, I pump the forks a few times before tightening the pinch bolts, just to help settle everything in its natural position.
I'm talking about using the forks or bars for leverage to loosen or tighten the axle. Vertical movement won't upset anything, horizontal movement will.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It'll be obvious when trying to remove the front axle that you need to hold it on both sides or it'll just spin in the fork holes and never loosen, lol. Same when tightening, after 20 ft/lbs or so it'll just spin and spin and never tighten.

Little tip when doing this, make sure you don't use the forks for leverage or have someone on the bike holding the bars when tightening or you could throw the forks and front wheel out of alignment. Just use the axle nut and whatever you use on the inside of the axle as the only contact points when tightening/torquing it down.
I changed my front tire recently, and the axle didn't spin when I loosened the axle nut. Although I did loosen the axle nut before I loosened the axle holder bolts (which is what the manual says to do) so maybe that's why.

What do you mean by "using the forks for leverage"? This was my first time changing a front wheel so maybe I overlooked something but I followed the procedure in the manual and everything seems fine with the new tire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts