GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went for a late spin last night and to cut a long story short i found the standard lights on my f shocking :eek::eek:, a mate of mine who i ride with a lot who would NEVER be able to leave me in the day left me for dead :crying::crying:,i couldn't see bugger all can i upgrade just the bulbs without changing anything else just the bulbs, that was embarrassing :D:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
the standard lenses actually limit the roadside lighting by their shape, and are pretty meek output wise, ive tried plus 130% navra bulbs, minor improvement in out put, then i installed some autobeam 36watt led bulbs, they rock, 3 x the lumen output on 2/3rds the wattage, plus they light up the roadside alot more , which makes fast night riding much safer, via easy tip in corner judgement

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I found the standard lights to be useless, and i hated only having one light on dipped beam, as Temporary Kiwi says the standard reflectors and lenses are not great - the only solution for me was a HID projector upgrade, its like riding around in daylight now

https://gsx-s.info/gsxs-headlight-hid-projector-upgrade/

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I always ride on high beam. It might piss someone off, but at least they can see me. ;)
Most disappointed to hear that. No they won't see you, just a blinding glare which means they probably won't see anything else for some seconds either.:mad:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I always ride on high beam. It might piss someone off, but at least they can see me. ;)
And the driver in front you blind via their mirrors will fully understand your situation and not complain when you cause them problems.

Have you considered fitting a .50 cal and brassing them up to make sure they are aware of you? ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I find my low beam sufficient for night riding so I would suggest yall have bad eyesight. :)

I do use my high beam outside of urban areas but will turn it off if there's traffic in front of me. The problem with the high beam is that it will blind oncoming cars which increases the risk that they might cross the center line and hit you.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
And the driver in front you blind via their mirrors will fully understand your situation and not complain when you cause them problems.

Have you considered fitting a .50 cal and brassing them up to make sure they are aware of you? ;)
Relax guys. I don't do a lot of night riding, and I was referring to daytime only. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I find my low beam sufficient for night riding so I would suggest yall have bad eyesight. :)

I do use my high beam outside of urban areas but will turn it off if there's traffic in front of me. The problem with the high beam is that it will blind oncoming cars which increases the risk that they might cross the center line and hit you.
You must have better eyesight than me....and you are just finishing summer with 15-16 hours of daylight ;) But you will need your lights over the next few months

·
Registered
541 Posts
One thing to consider with high beam for visibility: the human eye doesn't gauge distance well from a point light source. If your high beam is too bright for the other drivers to see the fairing around it, they may not be able to tell how close you are to them.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
One thing to consider with high beam for visibility: the human eye doesn't gauge distance well from a point light source. If your high beam is too bright for the other drivers to see the fairing around it, they may not be able to tell how close you are to them.
Two beams gives a better clue than one, but could be deceiving if they mistake you for a car.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Actually, I ride high beams all the time in the day, then
when left turners look suspicious. Night time it's high beams until I get a clear view of oncoming, then low and ready to flick high for left turners.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Two beams gives a better clue than one, but could be deceiving if they mistake you for a car.
Yeah, there's a lot of unknown in this. So I don't tell anyone they're right or wrong when it comes to riding with high beams. But I do dwhat everyone to consider the possibilities. My basic standpoint is: assume no one sees you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts