GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy some of these which I found on Ebay for a good price. I can't see any need for much more expensive dealer supplied parts but just thought I'd put this question out there :unsure:

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
427 Posts
i recently purchased a bag of steel zinc plated torx screws that fit the master cylinder as the stock screws on every bike get chewed & ruined quickly , a bag of 50 for £5 & £2 for 6 Allen heads - cheap & way stronger than stock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i recently purchased a bag of steel zinc plated torx screws that fit the master cylinder as the stock screws on every bike get chewed & ruined quickly , a bag of 50 for £5 & £2 for 6 Allen heads - cheap & way stronger than stock
I quite like Torx screws, they're pretty resilient regarding damage. I think I'll just go ahead and use these, no need to over think it, it's just a sealing washer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't know why Suzuki mix torq and hex screws on our bikes. The GSX-S750 has the side covers (where your shins are) held on by a T25 torq stopped depth screw on each cover.
Now I find the SV650 follow's this trend too.
Of course, at pre delivery on both bikes, they didn't look (or don't own any tools newer than 1970) and stripped the contacting surface of each torq screw by quarter jamming in a 4 mm hex on the T tool.

The Gen 1 &2 SV's would have been fitted 20 years ago with hex fasteners, so why change this one to torq type on this Gen 3 ? The tank is held on by hex bolts at the steering head.
There are other torq screws around the bike I've noticed too, and no doubt they will be damaged in due course by these highly experienced Tradespeople.
Expect the 2021 GSX-S1000 to follow this pattern as I don't remember the Gen 1 having torq screws on the side cover. Correct me if my memory has slipped on this point.

Here's a trivia Q & A: What's the difference between an Allen key and right angle hex key ?
Allen Keys were originally made by the Allen Manufacturing Co of the USA. They were the original IKEA, and the name just stuck in the Public mind.
Hex a generic term for the same thing that did not infringe on any copyright held by Allen.

Rob.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,731 Posts
I once had a BMW F800 ST everything was Torx.
So now I have a full set of Torx bits which have never been used since.

Reactions: gritty
1 - 7 of 7 Posts