GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Anybody have these grips? Do you find them any more comfortable or less comfortable than a standard rubber grip?

So I saw these Barracuda Grips in a photo in one of the threads here, liked them, ordered them. Upon receiving, they are truly beautiful, but the throttle side has 3 types of cams or "throttle tamers"? Nowhere in any website re. Barracuda grips does it explain that these pieces come included. Obviously they are to change the throttle "turn ratio", but has anybody used them?

Wondering if anyone used the cams or just sawed off the end piece (as I'm thinking to do)? I just wanted grips.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So I saw these Barracuda Grips in a photo in one of the threads here, liked them, ordered them. Upon receiving, they are truly beautiful, but the throttle side has 3 types of cams or "throttle tamers"? Nowhere in any website re. Barracuda grips does it explain that these pieces come included. Obviously they are to change the throttle "turn ratio", but has anybody used them?

Wondering if anyone used the cams or just sawed off the end piece (as I'm thinking to do)? I just wanted grips.
Don't think you can just saw off the ends as these are obviously designed to replace the throttle tube, not go over the top of the existing one.

That bottom cam looks wierd, with only one hole for a cable and can't tell which way around it goes but looks the opposite of a throttle tamer with a very abrupt change of diameter.

I just changed to a Domino throttle and I love the fast cams and smooth throttle

Comes with 3 cams

I chose the fasted cam, white compared with the standard

For more info on cam sizes and speeds

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Rapid ..... Did you take the barracuda jacks like mine? Belle is not it? Yes barracuda gives you 3 rings but you have to put the one on the original socket. They do not need to shorten the opening of the gas.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Don't think you can just saw off the ends as these are obviously designed to replace the throttle tube, not go over the top of the existing one.

That bottom cam looks wierd, with only one hole for a cable and can't tell which way around it goes but looks the opposite of a throttle tamer with a very abrupt change of diameter.

I just changed to a Domino throttle and I love the fast cams and smooth throttle

Comes with 3 cams

I chose the fasted cam, white compared with the standard

For more info on cam sizes and speeds
Domino is good but not much because it makes all the plastic parts. The best, in my opinion, as price quality is that of the Accossato because they make the parts in anodized aluminum and you can also choose the color. I had it in my previous kawasaki and I had a great time.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chris, don't know what you mean by "jacks", but it was your bike I fist saw these grips and liked them.

PP, you're spot on, obviously this is to replace the stock throttle tube, no cutting! The link you sent "info on cam sizes and speeds" doesn't load for me. These are the 3 cams, which would be closest to stock and which one "fastest"?

·
Registered
233 Posts
None of the three cams is faster. Barracuda gives you 3 choices depending on the bike on which you have to mount the sockets. If you want a faster opening you have to buy an aftermarket gas command.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of the three cams is faster. Barracuda gives you 3 choices depending on the bike on which you have to mount the sockets. If you want a faster opening you have to buy an aftermarket gas command.
So which one of the 3 will I use for the GSXS? Was it an easy install? Any problems? Works good? thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Chris, don't know what you mean by "jacks", but it was your bike I fist saw these grips and liked them.

PP, you're spot on, obviously this is to replace the stock throttle tube, no cutting! The link you sent "info on cam sizes and speeds" doesn't load for me. These are the 3 cams, which would be closest to stock and which one "fastest"?
Why doesn't the link work? Do you get an error

To me it looks like the 2 cams on the left would both work, with the middle one being slightly faster than the one on the far left, measure the diameter compared to stock - larger is faster

The one on the right looks like it is designed for another type of bike entirely

·
Registered
233 Posts
So which one of the 3 will I use for the GSXS? Was it an easy install? Any problems? Works good? thanks
Now I do not remember exactly which one but certainly not the one on the right in the picture. However, when you disassemble the original, you immediately see which is the exact one by resting it over the original one.;)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are the ones. Will install when I get back from vacation in a week. Ended up buying the CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors. I think together with these Barracuda grips gonna make the bike look killer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts