GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i've had success with bazzaz on former bikes. spoke to the bazzaz guys today, they sent me the attached files to give me an idea of how the system smooths out the power delivery. i've also attached the power commander chart from an article i found on this forum. appears they both accomplish the same result so it's a matter of brand choice. any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Interesting that they changed the A/F to look much better than stock but the torque and HP curves had nearly no improvement.

A quick comparison between the Power Commander map and the Bazzaz map seems to say they are somewhat similar. When I get more time, I want to do a cell by cell comparison.

Do they have a map available for download?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love to hear your thoughts after more analysis

Interesting that they changed the A/F to look much better than stock but the torque and HP curves had nearly no improvement.

A quick comparison between the Power Commander map and the Bazzaz map seems to say they are somewhat similar. When I get more time, I want to do a cell by cell comparison.

Do they have a map available for download?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Something does not look right to me, my problem previously before the throttle tamer with the snatchy throttle is at very low revs /throttle position and this map does not do any alterations at that point at all, also the majority of the rest of the map is leaning the bike out in which I thought it was too lean as it was which would go totally opposite to what the booster plug achieves with good reviews running the bike richer.
I would be very interested to see any variations between this map and anyone who has had their bike on a dyno and also that had tuned theirs with an auto tuner.

Nick

·
Registered
974 Posts
Comparing the two maps shows that two different dyno machines with two different bikes produces two different maps.
There is a lot af variation between these two but one thing they both show is a sudden change in fuel at the 4250/4500 prm range at 20% which is slight surging i feel on my bike as this is right at 100km per our(our highway cruising speed), its not annoying or bad but it can be felt.
Just my opinion a map may help on some and not others and obviously a dyno or auto tune would be the ideal on any bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
so you trust the PCV data more?
Yep. Dynojet has wider usage by consumers, acceptance by many magazine reviews, their map fits conventional knowlege of how bikes are lean for emissions, and it works great on my bike. Bazzaz's map is taking fuel all over in the cruise range. It that were necessary, all the Boosterpllug users would be screwed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep. Dynojet has wider usage by consumers, acceptance by many magazine reviews, their map fits conventional knowlege of how bikes are lean for emissions, and it works great on my bike. Bazzaz's map is taking fuel all over in the cruise range. It that were necessary, all the Boosterpllug users would be screwed.
I'll see if I can ask this in a way that makes sense, or offer a thought.

When we use our power commanders and use a +5, or -5..its plus five or minus 5 somethings....

We dont know , do we, if Bazzaz's somethings are the same as dynojets? We sort of hope they are, but it could be possible these units are scaled differently. We always called it percent, but what if its really not?

When our ninja 100's came out, a bunch of us added power commanders. Many guys took their bikes in for custom tuning.

Obviously, getting one of those maps was all that was needed. Just just use his map since it was for the same bike...You'd also assume them to all have something in common.

Not so much. There were variations like this in all the maps, despite them being for the same bike.

It did show there was a big difference in high dyno numbers and real life conditions.

·
Registered
222 Posts

When we use our power commanders and use a +5, or -5..its plus five or minus 5 somethings....

We dont know , do we, if Bazzaz's somethings are the same as dynojets? We sort of hope they are, but it could be possible these units are scaled differently. We always called it percent, but what if its really not?

When our ninja 100's came out, a bunch of us added power commanders. Many guys took their bikes in for custom tuning.

Obviously, getting one of those maps was all that was needed. Just just use his map since it was for the same bike...You'd also assume them to all have something in common.

Not so much. There were variations like this in all the maps, despite them being for the same bike.

It did show there was a big difference in high dyno numbers and real life conditions.

Interesting ................. :|

·
Registered
515 Posts

If Bazzaz is using negatives to add fuel and positives to subtract it, I am glad I did not buy anything they have ever made.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so i appreciate the feedback. i know a re flash is the most efficient solution but i don't want to veer away to far from OEM and the bazzaz/pcv "plug and play" solution makes it easier to bring it back to stock when i sell it. and for the type of riding i'm going to be doing, all i really care about is having the system smooth out the power band and solve the on/off throttle issue. i don't care about more HP at all, just a smooth and predictable delivery. i do find it interesting that bazzaz leans out the bike when i thought it was too lean for emissions compliance. hmmm

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a 1000 gsxr 2010 with Bazzaz TC quick shift and I have problems with the ECU because of error message and power cut with TC unwanted.

It is a problem never solved between Bazzaz and ECU Suzuki

Not that you encounter the same problem with gsxs ??

·
Registered
515 Posts
I own a 1000 gsxr 2010 with Bazzaz TC quick shift and I have problems with the ECU because of error message and power cut with TC unwanted.

It is a problem never solved between Bazzaz and ECU Suzuki

Not that you encounter the same problem with gsxs ??
I don't think you will find too many in the Bazzaz camp at this site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll try to answer some of the questions.

The PCV is an interface between the Suzuki ECU and the injectors, it does not change the ECU in any way. So when you want to go back to standard you can just take it off and plug the connectors back the way they were before you fitted the PCV and the job is done.

The 5% etc on a PCV is definatley not percentage. It is some calibration used by Dynajet and seems to react differently on different makes and models. ie 5% on one bike makes a huge difference and not much on other bikes. it's just modifying the pulse width to the injector.

I have ridden four GSX-s1000s and two were bad , like mine, and two you could ride around the throttle response.

The map provided with my PCV was way short of the amount of fuel we had to put in up to 8,000 rpm, but my GSX-S was the worst throttle I have ridden to date. We threw a lot of fuel at it up to 8,000 rpm and it improved it a great deal. 5% didn't touch the sides!

I was thinking why some bikes are worse than others and this could be partly caused by the oil used in the engine. Prior to fitting the PCV with one brand of oil my bike was idling inconsistent, the throttle was really snatchy and the thermo fan was cutting in all the time at idle. I changed to my favourite brand after the first service and all this improved and the thermo fan has not cut in at all. I am thinking the inconsistency may be caused by an engine temp sensor or something. At idle the revs would go between 1000 and 1500 rpm almost like the fast idle was cutting in.

We know we produce more HP on GSXR race bikes and sidecars when using some oils and the engine runs cooler maybe it's happening on the GSX-S as well.

I don't think I'm allowed to name the oils so I won't just in case a big company sues me but change the oil and see what happens. It doesn't cost much. Tip pay a bit more and get a better oil, don't use the cheapest on the shelf.

Dynos can be different and can be set up and calibrated differently so it is hard to compare figures from different dynos so when comparing it is good to use the same dyno. Look at the improvement on the same dyno, that proves you are heading in the right direction. When looking at dyno charts it is important to know which dyno the figures come from, make sure the operator labels the chart with the dyno name when they print it.

I know the dyno my bike was on reads 3% lower than one down the road but is 5% higher than another one across town. We've had the same bike on all three dynos. It's still not an accurate assessment as there are a lot of other factors in play but we have an idea where we stand.

I'll be getting stuck into the GSX-S next week after the Phillip Island International Classic Bike Challenge race meeting and I'll keep you informed as to my findings.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So YOSH, are Dynojets table numbers tenths of a percent or a whole percentage point? They almost have to be whole points or the numbers would get pretty large in the table. I also wonder if the percentage applies to the PCM commanded pulse width or the overall capacity of the injector. I.E. If the table shows 5% change per se, is the current PCM commanded pulse width bumped up 5% or is 5% of the overall injectors capacity added.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts