GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this write up is for my Aussie riders, because you don't have Kangaroo in other countries only in the zoos.馃ぃ馃ぃ
Well, back to the story, I went out for a ride yesterday and on the way home, yes you guessed it a Kangaroo jumped right in front of me and through me off the bike and landed in hospital overnight. As luck would have it an ambulance was coming towards me, even though they where only out on driver training they still stopped and helped.

I'm glad to say i'm home now a bit black in places and sore.
As far as the bike goes it requires new fairing both sides, as this was ripped off but the Kangaroo, new brake lever, new indicator, damaged after market exhaust, the rest is just scratches.
To add to all this the F1 C16 code did not go still on, this was one of the reasons for the ride. Anyway I can get back to that ounce I fix the bike up.

Registered
Sorry to hear mate. I'm all too familiar with them out my way, i won't ride early morning or night because of it.
The weather has been dry again which entices them to feed on the sides of the road.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear mate. I'm all too familiar with them out my way, i won't ride early morning or night because of it.
The weather has been dry again which entices them to feed on the sides of the road.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes, but this happened at 2PM in the afternoon. I've ridden from Melbourne to Cains on a motorcycle and yes you never ride early morning or at dusk.
Plus you meet all shorts of animal and thats in the day time......Scary.......Kangaroo, Emu, and wild pigs, etc etc.

Registered
Sorry to hear. Bloody things are as ordinary as... Canberra has more of the buggers than people so I'm always on the look out.:(

Registered
Little Jim, I'm so sorry about your accident. I wish you a fast recovery and that you are able to fix your bike soon.
This is one of my biggest fears, to hit an animal while going in the road, luckily here in California there are not much animals crossing the roads but one never knows, anything can happen.

Registered
Well that sucks!
This sort of thing is always in the back of my mind yikes.
The closest I鈥檝e come is a potty calf on a corner and one time a big goanna running
Out in front of me pucker time I was going quick.
Glad your all good..
Just wondering what gear you where wearing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I Was wearing kevlar Jeans, Kevlar lined hoody with padding shoulder back and elbows, gloves and riding boots. Never ride with anything less even on a HOT day.
I will have to replace my helmet as its damaged.
This is day two since the accident still very sore and bruised, but ha **** happens and I can fix the bike and I have no broken bones.
I'm just hoping the Kangaroo is feeling the pain I am, because even though I did not kill the Roo it must have hurt it smashed my fairing. I was traveling at 65 / 70 Kms.

Registered
Hi, this write up is for my Aussie riders, because you don't have Kangaroo in other countries only in the zoos.
Well, back to the story, I went out for a ride yesterday and on the way home, yes you guessed it a Kangaroo jumped right in front of me and through me off the bike and landed in hospital overnight. As luck would have it an ambulance was coming towards me, even though they where only out on driver training they still stopped and helped.

As far as the bike goes it requires new fairing both sides, as this was ripped off but the Kangaroo, new brake lever, new indicator, damaged after market exhaust, the rest is just scratches.
To add to all this the F1 C16 code did not go still on, this was one of the reasons for the ride. Anyway I can get back to that ounce I fix the bike up.
Rough test ride - heal quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes, but this happened at 2PM in the afternoon. I've ridden from Melbourne to Cains on a motorcycle and yes you never ride early morning or at dusk.
Plus you meet all shorts of animal and that's in the day time......Scary.......Kangaroo, Emu, and wild pigs, etc etc.
Hi Little Jim,
What bad luck, Jim :cry:. I've run over a Wallaby at 100 KPH on a ZZR250 going up hill, and got a cracked belly cowling and lived.
Skippy jumped out at the last minute, after sitting on the side of the road chewing grass (midday) and looking at me coming . It went under the bike, but just hopped away down a hillside.
I said "What's up, Skip ? "
All I got back was " Tisk Tisk and [email protected] you Bikies. "

I once had a full size male Big Red fly across the bonnet of my Ute in a hill cutting. Actually a car length away. It was like the one penny coin, full stretch. Lucky timing for me, that one.
Another time, also in a cutting with a tight curve, a large scrub turkey, jumped off the high side of the hill and had both feet on the bikes tank, before jumping off the other side.
Enough to scare the daylights out of me :poop:.

In the western fringe of Brisbane in the foothills of the State Forest, we've got imported Red Deer. Can't be shot of course, no shooting allowed and their breeding away quite happily.
Lucky, I don't live or ride near there now.
Goes with the rabbits, foxes, carp, cane toads and all the other imported vermin at home here now.

Rob.

Registered
Hi, this write up is for my Aussie riders, because you don't have Kangaroo in other countries only in the zoos.馃ぃ馃ぃ

sorry to hear that no roos over here but had a big pheasant hit my bike a few days ago new side fairing and radiator to fix damage glad your ok

Registered

Ah, Sorry to hear that and glad you are okay. Couldn't have guessed a roo crossing path at noon...!!! Stay safe..

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
sorry to hear that no roos over here but had a big pheasant hit my bike a few days ago new side fairing and radiator to fix damage glad your ok
I've ordered my parts today, the cost was the same as my insurance excess so I want be claiming and keep my rating one......Still not cheap.......If I was going to be really picky I would be changing a lot more items.

Registered
I Was wearing kevlar Jeans, Kevlar lined hoody with padding shoulder back and elbows, gloves and riding boots. Never ride with anything less even on a HOT day.
I will have to replace my helmet as its damaged.
This is day two since the accident still very sore and bruised, but ha **** happens and I can fix the bike and I have no broken bones.
I'm just hoping the Kangaroo is feeling the pain I am, because even though I did not kill the Roo it must have hurt it smashed my fairing. I was traveling at 65 / 70 Kms.
Good to see your wearing some gear.
(y)

Registered
Get well soon mate!
Once was riding with my wife and had a grey jump across the road behind her and in front of me. She missed it by a couple meters at most

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I would just like to say thank you to the people that sent get well soon messages.
Well, the parts arrived today, so I will putting the bike back together tomorrow, then wait for the weather to pick up a little.
I did brake one of the short after market levers, so decided to go back to stock levers.
By the way the reason I went for a ride last Friday, and hit the Kangaroo, which was to clear the F1 C16 fault code has now gone 馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿, expensive fault.
The other funny thing is you lay in hospital, and it goes over & over in your head, if had not stopped for a chat in the servo, or if I had turned right and not left at the junction.

Registered
And now tell yourself 鈥渋t could have been a truck鈥 and just bask in the fact it wasn鈥檛 and your here to tell us about it
Sorry you got knocked off. Glad you鈥檙e here to moan about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
One thing I want to say is trust your feelings.
I鈥檝e had it happen several times when I鈥檝e had a strange feeling that something isn鈥檛 right and have slowed down avoiding a crash.
One was the poddy calf I spoke of like I鈥檓 fanging down this road on my old 06 gixxer
then all of a sudden I remembered a story about someone that nearly died from hitting a roo on his bike.
So straight up I take this as a warning and slow down come around the corner and here鈥檚 the poddy calf yikes..
Another time I鈥檓 overtaking cars left right and centre lol then I come up behind the last car to overtake and think I鈥檓 going to slow it down and stay here for a bit as I鈥檓 feeling a bit sus then we come around a tight right and here is this nob doing a U turn plus its double yellow lines.
I鈥檝e had others as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Good news, the bike is all back together and looking like nothing had happened.
Jeff I know exactly what you are saying, I have been in those situation you have mentioned several time whether it's in a car or bike.

Registered
Sorry to hear bout your bad luck with the roo Little Jim, good thing you didn't break any bones
Like Cainus83 I've had issues with roo's as well, the closest was a couple of years ago. Getting near sunset on our way to Nanup in WA. Glad it was a miss. Have a link to video below.
A LH bend slowed me down with a heap of gravel on the apex (around 6:44;43pm) then missed the roo 16 seconds later (6:45;01pm).
Glad I had a change of undies in my bag.
Get well soon.
Bail2Nann-sm.mp4

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
You where very lucky on two occasion, one crossing the double white line then not hitting the Kangaroo.
So I'm glad you too are here to tell the story as there are a lot of motorcycle riders that can't.
My son did say to me dad why didn't you have your go pro on.
One last thing, I'm not sure if you are aware when you are videoing cover up your speedo as I've been informed it can be used to prosecute you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts