GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding for 7 and months and I'm looking to get something more exciting. Currently I've been riding a Honda CBR650F (inline-4 about 85 HP) for about 4 months. I seem to be pretty strong on throttle control and progressive braking, I focus on keeping those smooth as much as I can.

This bike is really interesting compared to the competition, here are the main reasons I like it:
-I like that suspension and brakes seem to be a little cut above what you get with the Z900 or MT-09. I'm a big guy so this is important.
-Frankly that 60 months 0% APR that Suzuki is offering is really tempting
-Bike doesn't seem to have any fatal flaw, like the MT-09 with those horrible headlights that you can't see **** with at night. People have spent a lot of money trying to make those decent.
-Having that top-end available when you need it is nice, but I doubt I'll get to really use it much outside of the highway
-Has traction control to ease myself into it.
-Exhaust sounds really nice for a stock bike

Questions:
-Is this bike really that insane for someone with limited experience? I haven't had a track day but as I mentioned above I always try to focus on the fundamentals and build that skill-set. There aren't that many twisties around here but I practice them when I can.
-Any good thoughts or comparisons with the Z900? I like the capabilities the S1000 offers but I have considered that the Z900 might be a bit easier to enjoy at legal speeds.
-The brakes seem to have good stopping power, but some have mentioned they are a nightmare to control. Is it really that bad?

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
been the best bike i ever owned for how i ride in the street...i dont do twisties for the most part...when i do the bike makes easy work of them to the point you feel like a better rider them i really am...bought this bike for long rides for comfort and to feel planted at highway speeds and the smoothness is second to none.....wind protection on the s with a screen works out well.....i cant see the z900 being a better ride at legal speeds ,,,,s is happy at any speed in any gear , has power ,gas mileage, torque smoothness ,comfort ...at the end of the day its up to you...either put your leg over a 900 or a 1000cc...sure the 1000 will be more edgy thats what draws me to it

·
Registered
408 Posts
You’ll be fine if you can control yourself. My first street bike was a hayabusa and I had it 12 years. The bike doesn’t do anything that you don’t make it do. The brakes are great, some have issues with the throttle being jerky, but taking the slack out of the line and setting the tps seems to help 95% of those. For the money it’s hard to find a better bike.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I came to this bike from a Vulcan 800 that I rode for a couple of years. I'd ridden that, my wife's rebel 250 and a 150cc scooter before this bike. So you can see a massive HP jump won't kill you. Since you're concerned about it, I'll bet it won't be too much for you either. Be responsible, start with tc3 and ease into the higher rpm range.
Brakes? The brakes are good, don't know what you've heard. I like the upgrade to ebc pads for stronger feel. If you're a track guy maybe they're not enough, but this isn't a track bike so no surprise.
Can't compare to z900, never rode one.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The 650F is a fine bike, but I think the S1000(F) will add some excitement, if that's what you are looking for.
I have no experience with the Z900, but the the S1000(F) is fine for my commutes, running errands, and then insane when I want it to be.

I also have no complaints about the brakes. The seem better than any other bike I've had, and the ABS is a plus if you can get it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2018 F is the first street bike I ever owned and in fact I've had my license less than 1 year. I have ridden in the dirt for years and I did ride friends street bikes way way in the past. I find it perfectly manageable and just clocked over 4200 miles so far. Probably all new bikes have it but I think the ABS and traction control are huge pluses. I keep my TC on 3 (the most intrusive) all the time. Most of my riding is sight seeing on unfamiliar back roads and I want to take it easy. With that said you still have to hit the gas very hard to get TC 3 to intervene (at least when it's dry out). I also like that the GSX-S is relatively lightweight; I think there is a greater chance of a mishap on a larger more unwieldy bike. From a steering standpoint it doesn't feel at all twitchy to me so I find that confidence inspiring. Bumpy roads can cause you to give it slight throttle inputs which can be annoying but it's probably no worse than other injected bikes. I also did adjust my TPS to get it within spec; that helped the throttle response. I think the brakes are fine too; I two finger the front the brake all the time. Oh, it gets very good mileage too. Yesterday I was seeing 49-50mpg. I started with a full tank of gas and I rode for a long while before the range even dropped 1 mile (i think the computer must cap it around 168 miles or so). I have no opinion on the z900 but I do know my F is a keeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts