GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i would like your opinion please on the best aftermarket shock on the market for my 16 GSXS1000

My riding is fast winding bumpy mountain roads no track use or trips to 3oo kpm.

You opinions would be most valued. CHEERS FROM DOWN UNDER STEVE

·
Registered
66 Posts
Theres a few, but I went with KTech Razor R and it cost marginally more than the others but having a remote resevoir.

Look at Nitron NTR1 (thats the basic one, there are more expensive Nitrons) and Maxton NR4.

In the UK, all the above are around £500 to £600. No idea if they ship to AUS, nor a clue how much they'd be.

Basically, anything aftermarket will be better than the stock shock. Plenty of other Aussie riders on this site and am sure they've changed their shocks so they'll be able to advise better than myself on availability and cost.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,140 Posts
My Nitron NTR1 cost £430 in 2016 now it's £500 +/- £10. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a nitron NTR1 and I am very happy with it. My brother put a YSS shock on his Yamaha TRX and he is happy with that. We both got them from Suspensions R Us in Melbourne.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a nitron NTR1 and I am very happy with it. My brother put a YSS shock on his Yamaha TRX and he is happy with that. We both got them from Suspensions R Us in Melbourne.
I use to own a TRX 850..98 model.
They are a underrated bike me thinks..

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
i went with a nitron R2, remote resevoir, comp / rebound adjust, but R3 has hi/lo speed damping, i wish id gone for that now

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got a ZX10R shock installed, for the money - I think it is an option worth looking into. More details here : Rear shock ??? ZX10R?
Needs quite a bit of tinkering with to adapt it to our bike, but I think the end result is a decent improvement on the stock shock. If I were to do it again - I might just cough up for the K-Tech Razor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in Sydney and have been looking for an aftermarket rear shock to give me a more comfortable ride. I have lower back and neck issues and can't stand the kicks on bumpy roads.
I called different bike shops including shock treatments but couldn't sum up to reach a conclusion on which is the best, even better.
Australia has a very small market compared to UK/US and each shop advises you on the product they have or they have a relationship with the brand.
for example once one of them said "Ktech razor R is not built to your weight and such a **** that I don't install it in any bike!"
After all, it depends on who you can trust.
There is a Facebook page "Gsxs 1000 Owners Australia" that you might find useful information in this regard.

Once you have come to the decision, please share it here with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morning all well I made a decision mainly from internet reviews and the opinion of the wider GSXS family. I went for a Nitron NTR2 with remote gas ( nitrogen) canister it comes with bracket to mount it in the kit. Bought it from Suspensions R US in Victoria $1300, they build the shocks in England to how you ride, your weight including helmet jacket etc and pillion weight 4 weeks turn around now I have to wait

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
Find an actual suspension tuning shop, then their tech will ask your weight, your riding preference, then set up which shock you choose, here in nz i used KSS suspension services, robert taylor is a very experienced suspension tech, he suggested a nitron over an ohlins, ( he sells both) rear for my bike, gave me options as to the grade of shocks ability, i.e R1,R2, R3, each progressively gain more ability to be adjusted /tuned to suit the purchaser, i went with a R2, as i am not racing, but like to have full adjustability, i asked for compliant spring/damping ratings to suit bumpy backroad blasting, so i didnt receive full race setup, which is usually much stiffer to suit racetracks lack of potholes etc, hope this may help you

·
Registered
339 Posts
what weight is the stock shock adequate for? reason I ask I am 150lbs, and my gf 100lbs. ive never ever everrrr changed my suspension settings I just ride, never felt it was terrible. but I ordered the GT+ and I am wondering if I should actually upgrade the rear shock for a plush ride if I do some long distance traveling. all the videos say the front feels heavier, do I need to upgrade front shocks too? or are they sufficient. (assuming they are same shocks and fork springs as this gsxs)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts