GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New query for today guys. I never used frame sliders or axle sliders before but I'm definitely going to on my new gsxs. My question for you guys is which type/brand of frame sliders offer the best overall protection.

I'm mainly concerned about low speed tip overs or losing it pulling out of an intersection. I may hit a track eventually but that's not really what this bike is for. The two I'm considering right now is either the Shogun protection kit which includes frame/swingarm/bar ends sliders for about 80 bucks or I found a link to the t Rex catalogue which has a kit with all the above and a case saver set. As far as looks go I like the t Rex set but the Shogun stuff is cost friendly. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
84 Posts
New query for today guys. I never used frame sliders or axle sliders before but I'm definitely going to on my new gsxs. My question for you guys is which type/brand of frame sliders offer the best overall protection.

I'm mainly concerned about low speed tip overs or losing it pulling out of an intersection. I may hit a track eventually but that's not really what this bike is for. The two I'm considering right now is either the Shogun protection kit which includes frame/swingarm/bar ends sliders for about 80 bucks or I found a link to the t Rex catalogue which has a kit with all the above and a case saver set. As far as looks go I like the t Rex set but the Shogun stuff is cost friendly. Thanks for the input
I have the Shogun sliders and I actually dropped my bike about 20 minutes after installing them in the garage (whoops). The sliders did there job and you would never know the bike was down. As far as a low side I would say the T Rex is probably better but who knows in the event of a moving accident anything can happen.. But if your worried about dropping your bike the shogun's do what they are designed for! Tested approved!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a set of the twin bolt sliders on mine and they really are a substantial and solid slider. I've never been a fan of single bolt sliders on any bike i've had but i have confidence in these, should they ever be needed.

·
Registered
327 Posts

I have R&G tear drop shape sliders. I like them because of the shape, & more importantly what they claim to have as a material. If the puck material is too hard ( like some cheaper brands) all the energy is transmitted to the frame, result being sometimes more damage then if without. I believe this material will absorb some of the impact force and not bending the frame. Also the bolts need to be not so strong so again they bend (just tough enough and engineered that way) and not transfer energy to the frame. The analogy is the same as old cars versus new cars that crumple easy in a collision debate.. Most old outdated thinking says the older cars are safer, but reality is newer cars that virtually destroy themselves on impact are much safer not transferring energy to the occupants.
I also like the lower profile of the R &G, the Puig (and T-Rex) make also.
As for the negative side....I have had the misfortune of a race bike cartwheel and cause damage on both sides of the bike with crash bungs installed, instead of protecting it and learned a lot from that and a few others I have seen after crashing. As a street bike option I think the above brands are good option. They do tend to be expensive but that's life - get what you pay for. But they do look good too. I remember another brand I had years ago from Japan that were very good. I can't remember their name but we're premium quality for frame and swing arm, wheels. I had Shogun too, I remember they looked cheap and nasty compared to what I mentioned above. They had shiny hard material which is not good. One other thing to consider for frame sliders is that some of the are "no cut" sliders. These mount up with a bracket to the frame - I believe these to actually increase chance of creating damage, by the leverage effect in some circumstances. They need to be secured directly to the frame bolt or engine area to do the job right.
They will all do a good job for slow tip overs but at slow to moderate speeds I believe the more expensive design and material will work better. I remember now I had some "Speedymoto" brand on a Ducati 999R that I dropped. They worked very well minimising by grinding away the material almost to the stud! But, they saved the bike big time, with little damage to repair. Again they were higher quality pucks.
You also have to understand they will sometimes create more damage if when the bike slides it hits something and topples the bike over like happened to me. In faster crashes all bets are off probably won't make much difference. One last consideration - I have seen some bikes with long sliders that I would be concerned about for injury to the rider in a fall - something else to consider.
Some will discount sliders altogether because of one bad experience and say they create more damage every time like the post above, but I think they will save damage more times then not.
At the end of the day it's a compromise
Hope this helps

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stay clear of R&G, especially the rear axle protectors, they are junk. Customer services never reply to emails either. I took mine off and fitted evotech-performance. The only R&G item i have is a shock sock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stay clear of R&G, especially the rear axle protectors, they are junk. Customer services never reply to emails either. I took mine off and fitted evotech-performance. The only R&G item i have is a shock sock.
You sound so convincing! Wow ok R&G are junk. Nice informative reply. You really sound like you would know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on guys thanks, you convinced me to stay away from r &g and t Rex had the sliders but they didn't have case savers so I couldn't get the whole set. I went with the Shogun kit, I shall hope for the best. Thank you for your wisdom fellas.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I fitted a set of fork protectors and aero bungs from Powerbronze, think it was £55 for the aeros and £15 for the fork protectors. Already have the bubble screen on my F and tempted to buy the real carbon front mudguard and rear hugger too.

Hopefully the bungs will protect the bike in case of a drop or tumble at low speed. I have little confidence in any bike being protected in a bigger slide

BADGED CRASH POST SET - SUZUKI ,GSX-S1000, 15-17 ,GSX-S1000F, 15-17 - Powerbronze UK International

·
Registered
327 Posts
I fitted a set of fork protectors and aero bungs from Powerbronze, think it was £55 for the aeros and £15 for the fork protectors. Already have the bubble screen on my F and tempted to buy the real carbon front mudguard and rear hugger too.

Hopefully the bungs will protect the bike in case of a drop or tumble at low speed. I have little confidence in any bike being protected in a bigger slide

BADGED CRASH POST SET - SUZUKI ,GSX-S1000, 15-17 ,GSX-S1000F, 15-17 - Powerbronze UK International
I shivered when I saw that your "aero bungs" set on that link may be polished aluminium! That would be a very nasty impact with the ground and absolutely no absorption of energy, metal of any kind would transfer all the force and energy to whatever they are bolted on - in this case your bike.
With their polished plastic you may have a hope, but it seems that they are more preoccupied with its presentation than crash absorption properties, so sorry to say but good luck with those too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jeffro 'preoccupied with its presentation' ??? :eek: God forbid!

Don't know what you are looking at on the link. maybe this one will work better. http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/searchedproducts.aspx?maketext=SUZUKI&modeltext=GSX-S1000F&yeartext=16
The bungs I have fitted are black plastic and primarily intended for protection from handling drops rather than any belief in them saving the bike from damage in any sort of slide. the bonus of the front protectors is that they van be used as bobbins to lift the front end.

I want to give Moto Gymkhana a go and would like an engine cage or similar although it may be cheaper to just buy another bike to knock around until my skills improve.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And how to you plan to protect everything that extends past the slider? It's going to be more than your little plastic pucky thing that hits the ground.

·
Registered
444 Posts
R&G, Evotech, Woodcraft, are my three favorite frame and axle sliders. A lot of British SuperBike teams use RG.That being said I have Evotech Sliders on my GSXS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really liked the look of the t rex sliders, hopefully they will have their case protectors back in stock shortly after the new year. If they do the shoguns i ordered might never make it out of the box. Anyone returned anything to revzilla before?

Until then i ordered a new helmet with the sliders. Last time i rode especially on the highway and at speeds in excess of 80 mph the wind threatened to tear my old one off. I got an HJC IS 17, its got a drop down sun visor which is the main reason i sprung for it. Haven't tested it yet but should be a much nicer ride now. its getting real cold where im at so i probably wont be able to ride for a bit, but be safe guys and happy holidays!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a set of the twin bolt sliders on mine and they really are a substantial and solid slider. I've never been a fan of single bolt sliders on any bike i've had but i have confidence in these, should they ever be needed.
Any idea what make these are, you don't seem to say.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts